My R12 POS Arrived! - Page 24
  • Register
  • Help
Page 24 of 26 First ... 1420212223242526 Last
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: My R12 POS Arrived!

#Fail.

I re-read your Pm's, I'm a donkey, You replied to everything.

Sorry Schlitzaugen.

Advertisement

And yes it was the not being sure I would be here in this house with the partner very long (she doesn't like it here) but it looks like now we will see out the 12 month lease either way.. perhaps enough time to salvage those good bits...

Renault 8&10, weekend away from the place, thanks for the offer of the gasket loan. I have to go round the corner to "Bahn_de_Auto" I'll see how I go.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Old 15/17 brakes and gearbox bits Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Brake time!

Found the hammer and managed to separate the rusted pads from the rusted disc, and get the caliper body away from the stub axle carrier / disc-hub mess, in preparation for fitting nice new rotters, and bearings I suppose.

Now forgive me, but I just want to check. As the rotor is bolted to the hub, they together are "pressed" (driven with a nice looking mallet?) on to the stub axle carrier, and it is all held finally in place by the driveshaft nut?

Simple as that? I mean I suppose the force is shared over the splines of of Rotor/Hub, but the one drive shaft nut limits lateral movement?

As the Rotor/Hub is "driven" into position, (that process really doesn't hurt the bearing pressed into the Hub?) separating the Rotor/Hub from the stub axle carrier is the reverse? I can drive some long threaded bolts into the Hub/Rotor and line it up so it hits the Stub Axle to "push" itself free?

I.e.. because I'm going to change the bearings, and the rotor, If I had a way to support the stub axle carrier, one could wack the sh1t out of the back of the disc? I reckon you would destroy / deform the carrier in the process?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My R12 POS Arrived!-img_20170729_172009759.jpg  

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

COL

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Brake time!

Found the hammer and managed to separate the rusted pads from the rusted disc, and get the caliper body away from the stub axle carrier / disc-hub mess, in preparation for fitting nice new rotters, and bearings I suppose.

Now forgive me, but I just want to check. As the rotor is bolted to the hub, they together are "pressed" (driven with a nice looking mallet?) on to the stub axle carrier, and it is all held finally in place by the driveshaft nut?

Simple as that? I mean I suppose the force is shared over the splines of of Rotor/Hub, but the one drive shaft nut limits lateral movement?

As the Rotor/Hub is "driven" into position, (that process really doesn't hurt the bearing pressed into the Hub?) separating the Rotor/Hub from the stub axle carrier is the reverse? I can drive some long threaded bolts into the Hub/Rotor and line it up so it hits the Stub Axle to "push" itself free?

I.e.. because I'm going to change the bearings, and the rotor, If I had a way to support the stub axle carrier, one could wack the sh1t out of the back of the disc? I reckon you would destroy / deform the carrier in the process?
    That is pretty much it.

If you do not have access to a press, there is no need to use percussion instruments (hammers,mallets,etc).

You can get the hub apart by removing three of the six bolts that hold the disc to the hub and using long threaded bolts, screw them in and push against the axle carrier to remove the hub.

To re-assemble you can use a length of all thread with washers and nuts on each end through where the drive shaft goes to assemble the hub to the axle carrier.
    bowie likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thanks for confirming that Col

Failed wheel bearings. Me too today.
    I jump in the Orange R17 tonight to visit some friends (yes I have some) started rolling down our cul de sac (French LOL) and the car was noisey as buggery. What the?
    We used the car last Sunday, drove say 200 km for a country run, then later that nite to go to RockWiz and there was no noise then. Raining hard though that day. water got in maybe?
    My mate, a mechanic said yep checked it, wheel bearing.

Deja vous Bowie!

I have new bearings, rotors but didn't plan on doing it this week.
    Did you still need a hub? i have a spare left hand one when I'm done.
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

I might do. I've just started taking these 17 hubs I have apart, we'll see if the bearing surface is pitted / warped? I guess that's where they fowl, if anywhere?

And Yaaaaaaaaaaay it's a bearing party?
    Shoji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoji View Post
    Failed wheel bearings. Me too today. Deja vous Bowie! I have new bearings, rotors but didn't plan on doing it this week. Did you still need a hub? i have a spare left hand one when I'm done.
    Bad luck. And so sudden? Funny how these things happen.

Hope it all comes apart easily enough.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Bad luck. And so sudden? Funny how these things happen.

Hope it all comes apart easily enough.

I hope so too John. I'm about to set off in the noisey orange to the workshop, set out some dedicated space as I might do some other work on the suspension.
    Bowie. Hope your R12 will be fine too.
    Deux soldats blessés (google translate)
    Cheers. John

How's yours going Bowie? My back is sore
    Right hand wheel bearing is noisey. The sound goes right thround the car
    I''l replace the rubbers, shockies, rotors, pads and drive shafts with new while I'm at it
    My R12 POS Arrived!-img_20170730_133221787_hdr.jpgMy R12 POS Arrived!-img_20170730_133231885_hdr.jpgMy R12 POS Arrived!-img_20170730_121159427_hdr.jpg
    JohnW and bowie like this.
    Cheers. John

Ahhh maaaaan. Another shed to be jealous of!

I like your spring holding contraption!

No work for me outside today, was busy with a Brass Band gig at Woy Woy.

I set myself the mission to find a bunnings on the way home and buy some long bolts to get those Rotor/Hubs apart, but even failed at that. You tend to trip over them in Melbourne... suppose I should have checked before I started driving.

But today! I did manage to sit in an AX. (they actually feel bigger on the inside)
    Last edited by bowie; 30th July 2017 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Ahhh maaaaan. Another shed to be jealous off! I like your spring holding contraption! No work for me outside today, was busy with a Brass Band gig at Woy Woy.
    Agree re shed and care with that spring - seriously dangerous, R12/derivative front springs!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Bowie, I used to use the normal bolts with a piece of rod under them end on, from memory about 4-5cm. While not as good, it works. You just have to make sure they stay in line with the bolt as they can go off at an angle.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Ah yes I see how that could work. Either way a trip to bunnings is in order, alas as I'm sans rod.

Some goodies arrived today;

My R12 POS Arrived!-yaaaaay.jpg
    All the gaskets for the top, This should stop it leaking out the rocker cover now.. will teach me for reusing the old one. It looked ok it did, but I confess it was depressed a bit in places.. anyway. I can take the manifold off and clean them up if needs be Hoooraaaay!

Also, my "drift" brake. My early 12 of course has it up under the dash, I tried some emergency change of direction tactic's in the car park the other day it wasn't very successful, a bracket and a leaver is a start, I'll decide if it's worth keeping the one under the dash and trying to be clever with this "drift" brake between the seats or just nuke the one under the dash and set it like a S2 / Virage.

But wait.. whats in the box...
    My R12 POS Arrived!-button-box.jpg

This wine is lovely by the way. A cheeky Shiraz from WA, didn't hurt that it was on special either, 7/10. Is going well some pieces of dark chocolate I pilfered from the misses when she wasn't looking..

IT'S A ROTOR BUTTON.
    My R12 POS Arrived!-button.jpg

This completes all the easy to change components on the ignition system as I save for a Megajolt. Well a fresh hat, button and leads is as good as a shave and a haircut.

It should be another happy post week for me too, I have a couple of other things coming; Temp gauge and sensor, a 12v 10" thermo fan and a neat little fan switch control with an adjustable sensor. I'll have a look at the alternator with a load on it to see if it's going to be worth the drama..

1000+ Posts

Ha ha ha, I'm reading this with a value packed Lindemans Bin 45 Cabernet Sauvignon in hand.
    bowie likes this.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

While you've got the rocker cover off check it isn't warped first as no gasket is going to help if it's warped.
    And resist the urge to tighten the living crap out of the rocker cover screws.

Your handbrake appears to be sans a few bits (pawl etc.).
    Best check the floor panel between the seats is reinforced and has the captive nuts so you can mount handbrake lever on the floor if you haven't already done so.

I'm reading this with some of Liptons finest in hand.
    A early picked 2016 vintage from the western slopes of Sri Lanka.
    Was on special at Woolies too, about five bucks for fifty tea bags but I could be wrong.
    Shoji and bowie like this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Bugger.. didn't think to check about it actually not being wrecked..

Well I'll find the flat edge tonight.

In regards to over tightening, gees it is tempting isn't it.

You know I "assumed" the mounting (reinforcement) for the handbrake would be there.. this is an early car however isn't it.

I'm very partial to the 100pack Dilmah myself, drawn for about 76secconds with a squeeze for bitters at the end, as much milk as I feel I need to fall asleep, heaven.

Looks to be the same as a R17 handbrake
    Here's an image of under the car for the hand brake support
    Have a gander underneath
    My R12 POS Arrived!-brake-support.jpg
    Is this enough Japanese tea for the year? Anyone for a tea ceremony
    My R12 POS Arrived!-japanese-tea.jpg
    Cheers. John

Yes that looks familiar, Cheers John

And speaking of Japanese Tea, Did they sell the 12 in Nipon? what was it called, because i think this recent purchase has guaranteed me entry into some kind of street race event.

My R12 POS Arrived!-nipon.jpg

That's right, this will stop that leak out of that top rocker cover vent once and for all. Well it might. I was looking for room to mount it on the air box side, it will probably end up next to the water bottle alla where a charcoal can sits in the later 12's. I had the thought too that a charcoal can would have been a perfect catch can. Oh well this was dirt cheap, How cheap? (points for anyone whom can translate the outside of the box too )

My R12 POS Arrived!-wine.jpg
    Really cheap! assembly required! The whole thing smells wonderfully of oil actually that lovely cheap PVC smell. Glorious, In the flesh it's similar dimension to a good pint. It is actually some kind of metal grade. It's comfortably heavy and the fittings aren't terribly chincy. It even came with wider gauge fittings should your car have a real problem with blow by. I can't wait to see how quickly it fills. A secondary thought is that it becomes a nice source of oil to assist with a burn out. Imagine just hooking up a small 12v pump, directing a hose in the wheel well in front of the Tyre. Gnarly dudes!

My R12 POS Arrived!-d1.jpg

There's that ticket to that exclusive Japanese sporting event. Actually thinking about it, CVS rego in NSW is issued with number number number number number "D" There may be some continuity there, I still think it's pretty narf.. Let's see what's here on the desk...

My R12 POS Arrived!-racingman.jpg

Better! Now it's reminding me of a Coopers Stout. not bad I suppose. what else is... AH HA!

My R12 POS Arrived!-vic.jpg

FYI. the NSW club doesn't give you a sticker. Boo!!

Coupled with the early vintage Aussiefrogs sticker, the bonus HP is at 15 right there.
    Last edited by bowie; 1st August 2017 at 11:48 PM.
    Shoji likes this.

Oh and yes you have enough tea!.. actually no there is never enough tea!

Road trip to Johns place to have some of his tea, and to bring him more tea is now destined to happen.

Well my Saturday is sorted

My R12 POS Arrived!-toys.jpg

The thermo fan arrived, it's smaller then I think I initially had in mind.. I measured the space and there is about 11" worth of height and width in which to attach a fan to the back of the radiator, on the left hand side of the engine. So this is a 10" fan... we'll see how it goes.

I have a stand a lone adjustable thermostat so siring it all in should be a snitch, and I can keep the standard "over head light circuit" in the dash as a further backup, I mean I don't have to molest that circuit to install this so good.

Probably going to rain all weekend now I suppose.

The R12 radiator core is 308 mm (a frag over 12") high, the width is 475mm. (The side tanks are about 40mm each)
    You could have gone a bit bigger with the fan but 10 inch will probably do the job.
    You should measure the engine-driven fan and get one the same size but it's too late now.
    Guess you find out one day next summer when you're stuck in a traffic jam.

Rain in Sydney???

Cheers
    RTT
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Monday night is club meeting. Best chance to get your club plate paperwork signed and stamped (from the club) if you have your blue slip and forms ready. Then you'd need to mail it away to ACMC for the second step - refer to CMC info links and forms I posted here recently regarding CVS rego.
    KB

The standard fan was near enough 10" across, and the fan wasn't overly dear either, if it's a prob I'll find a 12".

It's going in for a blue slip on Monday, so if it passes I'll be there

I also have ARDC classic membership via my employment here, and Terry Thompson thinks I look like a certain Renault F1 driver so I'm in his good favour.

#edit, wait No I won't, I'm going to an orchestra rehearsal monday night.
    Last edited by bowie; 4th August 2017 at 12:01 PM.

You'd be better off holding off on getting your blue slip until you are ready to go then. You only have 42 days (or thereabouts) to get the full paperwork done including the ACMC part or the blue slip expires.

If you want to go with RCCA, if you miss monday night your next chance would be if you are going to be at the CMC event at Eastern Creek working; we could perhaps organise to meet up otherwise you will have to do it via Aust Post, and SSAE's in both cases (RCCA and ACMC).

So decide what you want to do; get your forms and application filled in and know the procedure for CVS off the CMC website links; then get the blue slip done when you're ready.

KB
    KB

Yes that side of things will be ok

Today however, well I feel like a right nong. That's a ning-nang-nong where the cows go bong!

I had a hose running from the rocker cover to the catch can, and from the knob on the manifold (under the solex) back to the catch can, and I was confused as to why it would't idle.

Oh it would idle, will full choke at 4k rpm which in would steadily climb like my parents old 12B mazda Rx7 used to.

Then it hit me! (no not with your rhythm stick) the restricting valve that actually controls the vacuum in that final hose was of course not there. And without it, it's like Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Free Air! Wooooooo Hooooooooooooooooo! I'm gonna be so leeeeeeeaaaAAAAAAAAAAN!

I should have let it go and used it to bed the new rocker cover gasket to the head.. or at least used that free sucking pressure to tighten the rocker nuts a little. he-he.

So back to the drawing board.

Perhaps I could plug it off (the manifold) and used the "air inlet" next to the fuel inlet on the Solex to provide vacuum (where the junction T-piece normally sits, just before the hose with the restricting value in it.

It doesn't appear to be making a lot of suck however. I suppose it would at WOT? That should be enough? Ie. this is to feed the catch can back into that inlet. Still lost? Rocker Cover --> Catch Can --> Solex?

The final option would be to make my own restricting device, drill a small orifice and wedge it in the line? That would be neater, I could leave that T-piece on the solex just plugged up.

Whilst I was in there tidying up I was trying to work out if I could remove the fan without taking the radiator out. Looks to be a pain-in-the-a without fancy ratchet spanners. Perhaps it's time to start a collection.

Also also, There has been a random black shielded cable hanging around the alternator (assumed -ve, didn't worry about it prior), but decided to pull on it none the less to see where it ended. YANK YANK.. FLASH-SMOKE!!!!

Disconnecting the battery it was indeed plugged into the +ve and my pulling on it, had it arch on the Alternator housing.. Might spend another weekend checking all the wiring in it now..
    Shoji likes this.

Page 24 of 26 First ... 1420212223242526 Last

Thread Information