My R12 POS Arrived! - Page 19
  • Register
  • Help
Page 19 of 28 First ... 9151617181920212223 ... Last
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: My R12 POS Arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    And in its current configuration (middle muffler only) it sounds a treat on the gas.

Even burbles' and coughs a bit on a trailing throttle. It goes better too! But perhaps my old rear muffler had collapsed either way.

If this is legal, I'll just get the pipe made to exit correctly.
    google
    I just read
    How does the resonator work?

This device works just like the resonator chamber in the muffler -- the dimensions are calculated so that the waves reflected by the resonator help cancel out certain frequencies of sound in the exhaust. ... This allows the body of the muffler to absorb some of the pressure pulses.
    and:
    What is a resonator on a car exhaust?

Advertisement

Exhaust resonators are used to create smoother driving conditions, reduce noise from the engine exhaust and enhance engine performance. Exhaust resonators are add-on features within the exhaust system. The resonators are used primarily in combination with the muffler to reduce excessive exhaust noise.

Bowie, do a pipe out the side
    My R12 POS Arrived!-side-exhaust.jpg
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

^^ perhaps said tongue in cheek, but I would be careful about doing a side exit exhaust on a 4 door car. Rego authorities frown upon open windows allowing exhaust fumes back into the car; and it can be inconsistent with life in some circumstances, like idling your car in an enclosed garage!
    KB

I thought we couldn't kill ourselves with co2 anymore?

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

1000+ Posts

It's the Carbon MONoxide that'll get ya - it's an actual poison...

Ok. Double back. What about a truck stack? Tongue in cheek
    Up load a video of the sound of your exhaust Bowie
    My R12 POS Arrived!-truck-stack.jpg
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

Ah sorry yes, monoxide. I take for granted that although modern cars would take a solid afternoon, the 12 could probably manage it in a couple of mins.

Soji, I did just that, post more later haha.
    Last edited by bowie; 9th May 2017 at 08:22 PM.

Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16

I thought we couldn't kill ourselves with co2 anymore?

Nah, we're still at it. Now with improved efficiency!

Of course, you can never get the ones you're really after.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

oh and more lol's See sounds mad

https://youtu.be/Lmas2raSNP4
    https://youtu.be/JlIZ4ghhQ3U

Use the presence of the interior squeaks to get an idea of how loud, it really isn't.
    Shoji likes this.

1000+ Posts

Sounds great.

Yes would have rear muffler rust off again.

Which has me thinking, I'm ok with ripping junk out of this thing.

That HP sucking Fan up the front, surely that has to go and an elec unit from a wrecker thrown in. The sensor that turns the overheat light on the dash, what temperature does that happen at?

And I was thinking about the seat again today. I'm going to have a look at removing some of the foam in the base. I think the bottom part is zippered on (is a later seat from the a S2) Cutting a bit out of that might be enough.

Also, whats under the hood lining? Lots of sharp edges?
    Last edited by bowie; 9th May 2017 at 09:28 PM.

Yes would have rear muffler rust off again.

Which has me thinking, I'm ok with ripping junk out of this thing.

That HP sucking Fan up the front, surely that has to go and an elec unit from a wrecker thrown in. The sensor that turns the overheat light on the dash, what temperature does that happen at?

And I was thinking about the seat again today. I'm going to have a look at removing some of the foam in the base. I think the bottom part is zippered on (is a later seat from the a S2) Cutting a bit out of that might be enough.

Also, whats under the hood lining? Lots of sharp edges?
    The temperature sensor switch for the warning light is unsuitable for a radiator fan.
    It kicks in at around 100 - 115 degrees, way too high (the thermostat is open at 82 degrees).
    Also, there no hysteresis so it would be clicking on and off constantly when it around the trigger temperature which will drive you nuts after a short while. Get a proper fan switch fitted to the radiator or there are electronic types (which are very cheap) where you can clip a probe to the radiator. The electronic types allow you to set the on and off temperatures separately which is what you need.
    There's no room in front of the radiator for a fan, even a low profile type so you'd have to remove the engine driven fan and fit the electric fan behind the radiator but it's still a squeeze. The core of the R12 radiator is 308mm high x 475 wide so the biggest fan you can fit is about 12 inch.
    You'd also need to beef-up your alternator, the standard 35 amp unit just won't cut it. The radiator fan will pull at least 10 amps and maybe be closer to 15 amps. You need the fan most when you're sitting in traffic or travelling at low speed and that's when the alternator is putting out the least current. The 35 amp rating for the alternator is at around 3000-4000 RPM, at idle it's bugger-all, less than 50%.
    New fans are pretty cheap so there's really no need to buy a used one from a wrecker. It would have to be almost free to make it worthwhile.

I think you'll find the seat base it clipped on with "C" clips, The seat back is zippered. You can get fencing clips that will do the job when putting the base cover back on if you can't get upholstery clips. Depending on what seats you have you might find the base is sprung, not foam so there's not much you can do there to lower the height. The Aussie made seats were all sprung if memory serves. You might be able to find some lower springs but it will be a job replacing all the springs. If it is foam, it probably already compressed from 40 years of usage so is lower than how it left the factory. You'd probably be better off trying to get some suitably sized seats from the wreckers and making up a base for them from some square steel tube. (Hey, get some Recaro's, they will quadruple the value of any R12 that's not a G).

What's under the hood lining, not a lot. There's a brace across the "B" pillar and some bracing above the doors and the front and back windscreens but that's about it. If you're taking the hood lining off and planning on reusing it, be very careful as it's old and extremely easy to rip.

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Thank you Ren.

Yes wasn't thinking of recycling that sensor for the elec fan, just interested as, well no analogue gauge, always wanted to know when it was in panic mode.

HAHA Speaking of Fans.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXdLgaFXZzs

Yes good point about the alternator, we'll call replacing that general service. How's your Mitsu alternator going? The starter stuck when it was hot so I have mind to service that, probably not a silly idea to look over all the wires floating around the place.

Comment about the head lining, well that might give me the a few cm extra clearance too. I think you are right about the seat come to think of it, being sprung, and C clipped not zippered. Fixed buckets will go in, but I'd want a roll bar for the harness before I do that.

This is all academic, I'm back in Melbourne for the rest of the month, See you Sydney peeps next month.
    Last edited by bowie; 10th May 2017 at 08:32 AM.

Hello Bowie,

Sorry, my mistake. You were talking about replacing the engine driven fan and the temperature switch so I presumed they were related.

If memory serves, your car has the basic Jaeger instrument cluster with the Speedo, fuel, and battery gauges, plus idiot lights for everything else right? The Jaeger instruments from a 12TS had a temperature gauge so if you swapped the TL gauges you have for the TS ones and change the temperature switch for a NTC temperature sender you'd gain a gauge. You'd also gain a tacho. They should plug straight in but you'll probably have to add some extra wires to one of the plugs for the tacho. On mine, the PO had added an aftermarket temperature gauge in a pod on top of the dash. That's the easiest way to gain a temperature gauge but you'll lose the temperature warning light.

You're not going to gain much height removing the headlining, maybe and inch or so. There's no felt or sound-deadening material under the lining so you're straight to metal once the headlining comes off. (It would be bloody hot in summer). If you're after height, foam seats tend to be lower than the sprung seats (or they're sculptured so they're lower under your bum and still support the legs/knees) so that might gain you more room.

The Mitsu alternator has been a cracker. Around 14.5 - 14.6 volts at idle. Drops to maybe 14.1 - 14.2 with everything on (lights, brakes, heater fan, etc.) but it's still higher than the battery voltage so is charging. I could add a 1000 watt subwoofer and still have the juice to run it. (But I might need a stereo first).

Cheers
    Ren

Is the mighty 12 making an appearance at the AFCD at Silverwater in July?
    KB

It's in the calendar. Just waiting on the Job to confirm rosters for the coming weeks.

I took it to Colliers to get the exhaust done, the poor chap called me back just the other day to confirm he couldn't find a center pipe from a wrecker. I thought he was just waiting on material. I feel terrible. So still need to get an exhaust on it before It will pass a blue slip for rego (sent in my application to NSW Reno club last week)

As it's currently on VIC plates, I'm hesitant to punt around in it with my NSW licence.. Perhaps my partner can drive me around for the day

But yes! Hoping to come down to Silverwater. I think I rode via it actually looking for the Olympic park on my pusshy the other weekend.

P.s Cycling in Sydney is sh1t!
    Shoji likes this.

Your name was listed in the new member listings at last nights' monthly meeting, hence my question. Not that you need to be a member to come along of course.
    KB

1000+ Posts

When I had my 12 I was going down the path of an electric fan and had the idea of a 504 fan switch set into the rad. You can see some flat, round indents in the rad tank where a switch could sit (seems to be made for this purpose; maybe in a different model). I had the idea of soldering in the 504 switch flange on one of these areas after drilling it, as the 504 has similar pressed indents on the rad tank. I even bought the switch, but never got round to it...
    bowie likes this.
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Yes this will be the new adventure once it's back on the road.

For what it's worth the Reno is nicer to drive on the M4 than the Volvo.

Also Also. I can't believe how crap the roads here are.

We're building a better future.... or so they say.
    Careful, we'll revoke your visa and deport you back to VIC.
    KB

It's in the calendar. Just waiting on the Job to confirm rosters for the coming weeks.

I took it to Colliers to get the exhaust done, the poor chap called me back just the other day to confirm he couldn't find a center pipe from a wrecker. I thought he was just waiting on material. I feel terrible. So still need to get an exhaust on it before It will pass a blue slip for rego (sent in my application to NSW Reno club last week)

As it's currently on VIC plates, I'm hesitant to punt around in it with my NSW licence.. Perhaps my partner can drive me around for the day

But yes! Hoping to come down to Silverwater. I think I rode via it actually looking for the Olympic park on my pusshy the other weekend.

P.s Cycling in Sydney is sh1t!
    So if you are coming to Silverwater, I'll bring along the R12G rotors you bought off me about a century ago...
    Past Frogs:
    Alpine White 1967 R10 (round eye)
    Alpine White 1972 R16TS
    Blue 1978 Virage Wagon

Oh Oh I sent you a text about that last week sometime.. I'll PM you here once I have confirmed with work I can attend.

Oh Oh I sent you a text about that last week sometime.. I'll PM you here once I have confirmed with work I can attend.
    no worries
    Past Frogs:
    Alpine White 1967 R10 (round eye)
    Alpine White 1972 R16TS
    Blue 1978 Virage Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    When I had my 12 I was going down the path of an electric fan and had the idea of a 504 fan switch set into the rad. You can see some flat, round indents in the rad tank where a switch could sit (seems to be made for this purpose; maybe in a different model). I had the idea of soldering in the 504 switch flange on one of these areas after drilling it, as the 504 has similar pressed indents on the rad tank. I even bought the switch, but never got round to it...
    Some of the much later incarnations of the R12 (think Argentina, Turkey, and the Dacia in Romania) had electric fans and you might be able to pick up a later radiator off Ebay with the fan switch connection already fitted. But the problem with the European spec cars is they usually have the small radiator, not the 'tropical' size radiator fitted to the Aussie spec cars.

Otherwise, like Stuey said, there's a flat pressing above the lower radiator hose where you could solder a bung to take a fan temperature switch. But regardless of where you manage to fit the switch, you'd still have to squeeze in the actual fan and that usually means removing the engine driven fan (remember to use shorter bolts on the fan pulley if you do take off the fan) and fitting the electric fan behind the radiator (on the inlet end of the rad).

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Quote Originally Posted by neural revolt View Post
    no worries
    Please do pack those Rotors I'll see you (and the other Sydney froggers) at Silverwater.

Now, points are given for burnouts upon arrival right?

Now, points are given for burnouts upon arrival right?
    That's the rules for the Pug and Renault clubs. I think the Citroen club is different.

Page 19 of 28 First ... 9151617181920212223 ... Last

Thread Information