Scenic advice
  • Help

Thread: Scenic advice

Tadpole

Default Scenic advice

Hi. I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting in the correct place. I drive 2001 Renault Laguna and have really enjoyed it, but now want to try out another model Renault. I am thinking of a scenic but can probably only afford the earlier model. Someone has told me they can have problems with the automatic transmission where they go into "safe mode". I had this problem with a brand new Peugeot 307 I owned and Peugeot refused to acknowledge the problem, so I have been turned off the company ever since. I don't want to have this problem again, and I suspect it is hard to tell if it is a problem with the vehicle even in a test drive. Can someone tell me if this is true?. I also have been told they can have trouble with the electronics in the dashboard and it has to be completely replaced. Is this all true? Am I better going for a series one or two, or doesn't it matter. Thank you for your help in anticipation.

Advertisement

I think it is fair to say the early Scenics have more than their fair share of auto trans problems. But there are probably plenty of owners that have not had a problem at all. The main problem seems to be one of the solenoids inside the transmission, and is a fairly common repair. If you looked at a car that drives well, and service records show the solenoid has been replaced by a reputable repairer, then it might be OK. My car, similar to many others, had a clunky 1 - 2 gear shift from new, which became worse with age until it began causing a "fault code" in the computer, resulting in going into "limp home mode". This mode is cleared simply by stopping the car, switching off, and restarting. Of course the basic fault remains until solenoid replaced. I had it done by a dealer which cost about $1000 (at 100,000kms and 11 years old). Ours is a 2003-2004 Series 1 Scenic.

My advice would be to get the latest Series 2 that you can buy. One would hope that they improved the product after 5 years on the road. Also I think the Series 2 had a different gear change program, and maybe that helps to reduce the problem.

My other comment would be, as a mechanic from way back, that it is not normally a good idea to buy another car as old as, or older, than what you have already. Go for the latest you can afford.

As has been said, just as important to check that the engine cam timing belt has been changed. Specified interval is 100,000kms or 4 years whichever is earlier. The time interval is very important as there are some plastic idler pulleys which must be replaced before they crack. I would say 5 years max. Cam belt failure will cause expensive damage, as in most engines with belt driven cams that are not serviced on time.

At the same time, my wife loves the Scenic, we will be keeping it for a while yet, which is why I paid to get it repaired properly.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

I'd agree with Fordman and certainly bow to his knowledge of the automatic. We have a Series II Scenic, but a manual. They are a good secondhand buy, for sure and immensely practicable. There are always quite a few for sale if you go looking.

I'm not at all sure what we'd buy that would be a satisfactory replacement.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thank you both for your very sound advice. I will keep looking. I have had my Laguna for 10 years and it is time for a change. It has been lovely to drive despite the fact they are worth nothing and no one wants them. I think they are under rated, but I want to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimonade View Post
    Thank you both for your very sound advice. I will keep looking. I have had my Laguna for 10 years and it is time for a change. It has been lovely to drive despite the fact they are worth nothing and no one wants them. I think they are under rated, but I want to try something different.
    I think the Scenic is a brilliant design. It's an "anti-Laguna" really. You slide in and have a high driving position with a huge windscreen and panoramic views. The rear seats are even higher. If you find a good one, and you should be able to, you'll do well.

Regarding Laguna value, for me that is "who cares" territory if you keep a car for a long time. Our Citroen Xantia drives like new, has done 93,000 km in 19 years and is worth only $2000 if we could even find a buyer. I'm hoping for another 5-10 years out of it - it will be spare parts that finish it not lack of reliable performance. Superb large hatchback. We paid $20K for it about 13 years ago, almost new.

Good luck hunting. You're sure you want an automatic? Our 6-speed manual goes well and there's less to go wrong.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

I find a good way to try something different is to go on holiday and rent a car - get it out of your system and often makes you realise the grass isn't always greener.

Beyond that, if the Laguna is behaving itself and serves your needs, keep it - as you say they're worth nothing and there are all sorts of more fun things to spend money on

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    I find a good way to try something different is to go on holiday and rent a car - get it out of your system and often makes you realise the grass isn't always greener.

Beyond that, if the Laguna is behaving itself and serves your needs, keep it - as you say they're worth nothing and there are all sorts of more fun things to spend money on
    Funny you should say that and I reckon really good advice. Last Easter (2014) we ended up with a Scenic II for a week in Queensland and this was just as my better half was having back trouble curling into the old 306. We realized the Scenic was exactly what would deal with the problem and really liked it. We bought one within weeks of returning to Perth. And here's a statement of great satisfaction with Rod Slater's Eurocars great secondhand yard and his fine ethics.

And the Scenic has solved the back problem and proved a great vehicle for touring with three passengers.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Tadpole

Loving all the advice, thank you all. My husband had a big chuckle about hanging onto the Laguna, he reckons he would not get away with saying that! LOL. True. But i disagree with better ways to spend.money. I love driving, hence my preference for french cars. All the others just dont cut it, eccept for Lexus, an outstanding car. We have a 30 year old that will not die! Any how, i love my driving and the thought of getting another car makes me very excited. Thank you all again for your contributions.

I cant really offer advice on spending habits - I just spent 4 grand on a bicycle But for the car budget, that leaves me with enough to buy some airfares so I can ride it in assorted scenic places. A rental corolla is good enough for the boring bits where I have to drive...

Anyway, if you're looking for something that's nice to drive, I'd suggest a RenaultSport Megane - not a Scenic. Scenics are wonderfully practical, but not exactly the last word in desirability.

I had a Scenic for a few years and it was a great practical and flexible car. that handled well. Had no worries with it.
    But it didn't capture my heart like the Megane phase II I replaced it with - I just love getting in it and driving off. The Scenic never did that for me despite its great qualities.
    There is a solution to every problem. There is a problem with every solution.
    • Renault R4L '63 - Descartes
    • Renault R4L '64 - Lucy
    • Renault Megane '07 - too young to have a name...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff in Gully View Post
    I had a Scenic for a few years and it was a great practical and flexible car. that handled well. Had no worries with it.
    But it didn't capture my heart like the Megane phase II I replaced it with - I just love getting in it and driving off. The Scenic never did that for me despite its great qualities.
    You definitely wouldn't buy a Scenic for its sporting pretensions. It's a bit barge-like but grips well on corners. I know just what you mean. Our beloved Citroen CX is the same in that it is a great cruising car but not a patch on the Peugeot 306, or Xantia, for driving pleasure on winding roads.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Thread Information