• Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Twenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle

JR1
    Tadpole

Default Twenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle

Hi Folks,

Thought I'd post a few pics of something I finally managed to acquire recently.

Need to do some homework to figure out exactly what what I have, year, history etc however what I know so far is it has a Gordini engine which Im told is not original, is in amazing condition rust wise and has a soft top sitting under the hard top. This weekend I plan on removing the roof and taking a closer look at this.

Its quite odd, most people who have seen it in the condition it is currently in are quite derisive about it and ask me why the hell did waste my time going to the effort of purchasing it. At least I know you guys will appreciate it.

Advertisement

First French car I have owned and I have really fallen for this little gem. I have a full engine out resto planned. May start something in the restoration part of this website.

cheers
    Jeff

Twenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-20150901_155757.jpgTwenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-20150901_155932.jpgTwenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-20150901_161539.jpgTwenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-20150904_141429.jpgTwenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-20150904_141502.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20150901_155757.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	74076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150901_155932.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	74077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150901_161539.jpg 
Views:	626 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	74078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150904_141429.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	74079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150904_141502.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	74080

JR1
    Tadpole

Apologies, there were a few duplicate pics in that post.

We hate you!

Seriously, good luck with the project. I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful advice (and some not so helpful) on this site.
    KB
    KB

Congratulations on your find! I hope it will provide many happy hours of work and that your final product will fulfill your dream!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Cool! It's even got widies!
    cheers,

John

Wow! It's amazing what turns up isn't it..?

It's a Caravelle alright and should have an 1100 engine. I'm not sure it should have over riders though. The first thing you need to do is remove the mirrors and throw them as far as you can, then go find them and throw them further.. They don't belong on this car'

If you need parts (like body moulds) just ask as I'm sure someone would have some. The fat wheels probably don't allow for full steering movement but I could be mistaken.

Can't wait to see more when you get it cleaned up and see whats inside.

Another one saved..
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

JR1
    Tadpole

Thanks for the side mirror info, noted. They will be expelled from a Howitzer. They did look a bit low rent, I have a box of goodies with the car (and a donor vehicle) which have rectangular type chrome mirrors. Are they the correct ones?
    Pic of the engine below, not original....no idea what size it is but after a recondition I think those Webbers will make an fantastic induction noise.
    Twenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-imag0262.jpg

Furthermore, it seems to have 4 carbies..can we see more of them. And there seems to be an odd radiator mounted on the outside of the curtain, or is it an oil cooler..? That'll give you overheating problems most likely.

Show us more please..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Twenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-caravan.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 4th September 2015 at 10:42 PM.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Need to do some homework to figure out exactly what what I have, year, history etc however what I know so far is it has a Gordini engine which Im told is not original,
    It looks like a 1964-1966 R1133 Caravelle - find the oval plate in the front boot, and the year can be confirmed from the fabrication number on the plate. And correct, the Gordini motor isn't original, but it is so much more desirable than the original motor. :-)

Same thing with the motor as mentioned previously though, there should be a riveted plate on the block above the oil filter. Quote the numbers on the plate, and the type of motor can be confirmed. Then there is if it has a four shock rear axle, and the five-speed 'box from the donor 8G!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

JR1
    Tadpole

Thanks Simon, this is under the boot. Both Oval and Diamond. Any ideas?? Twenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-20150904_172726.jpgTwenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-20150904_172745.jpg

I like the twin webers and extractors. Hope the engine is in one piece because it will be a flyer if it is!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150904_172745.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	74089
    There you go, I was wrong again. Turns out is is a 1963 R1131 Caravelle, originally fitted with a 956cc motor, and four-speed (non synchro first) 'box. The 75 indicates it is likely an Australian delivered car.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

wow i impress myself.

i looked at it not knowing what on earth it was, and said to myself that looks like its a ghia-design

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

1131 16518 75
    November 1962.
    75, I'd have to check but don't think it's the country code for Australia, what's the rego plate on the rear, is it from overseas?
    What also makes me question the country code is that I thought a November 62 convertible would make it a Floride S, not to say that its not a bastardised coupe, as I also thought that a 1131 convertible should have a slanted Floride type hard top.
    Rob, could tell us about the fuel tank panel and the fuel filler nozzle, does it look correct for a 1131 convertible?
    The engine for a 62 1131 should be a 1000cc (996cc?) I thought, sorry I can't be exact, all my five cars have been 1092 Florides.
    It also has the usual rust in the door sills on both sides, lets hope it ain't to bad or your either got a good parts car or a very, long, expensive rust repair project. Lets hope you didn't pay to much for it.
    Side mirrors, you've already been told, and the front wheels seem to have the wrong offset as they sit outside the front guards which I'd think most states wouldn't let pass for a RWC.
    Other wise good find and good luck, keep us all informed on how your going and if any help is needed.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Fellow Frogger!

Hi JR1, As Simon said you have an R8 gordini engine in your caravelle,guess you struck gold.A bit like finding a mark one Cortina with a lotus twin cam in it.Definately a unique and worthy restoration project,especially if it has the 5speed gearbox and twin shocker rear end as Simon queried. Good luc. Jim

Jeff,
    I am going to be one of the un-helpful ones.

Sell it to me now and save yourself from long hours of work and frustration, building a very "groovy" car.

Well done,

Attached find one of my customers cars we are getting into very acceptable condition and comfort.

Ray

Twenty Five Year Old Barn Find - Caravelle-yellow-caravelle-sml.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

jeff,you are a very lucky man.sell it to ME!!!!!!!!!!

Or in other words drop the rear end out, throw the rest of the car out as its just a rusted out Caravelle and doesn't deserve saving, then if its a true R8G rear end watch the bidding war start.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Great find. Looks like an 1135 engine. 1134 had Solex carbs and about 150cc's less. If you've really hit the jackpot it might also have the 1135 5 speed gearbox.

If so expect heaps of problems which can only be resolved and having you sleep soundly again, by selling it to me...

Wow. Lucky barely says it. I wonder whether you can find out more about the car's earlier history and/or owners. Someone out there in Aussiefrogland might actually know of the car. I've never heard of a Caravelle with an R8 Gordini transplant - there were never all that many R8 Gordinis around but of course some were written off for obvious reasons.

There'd be a long queue if you ever sell it, or just the power unit! Let's hope the body is sound - they're a bit delicate even when un-rusted.

So, do you want to fix up what you have found or restore a 1962 Caravelle?

Great find and thanks for letting the rest of us know. I might ask by way of the Renault 4CV Register of Australia (which you might consider joining) whether any of our group know the car.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Sorry Jeff,
    I seem to have started a trend ............!!!

After driving a friends Floride and my clients Caravelle,

I have changed my opinion on the vehicles. I am not a convertible person, but they are very nice as a Sunday driver, and maybe that is exactly what they were designed for. If I didn't have other projects in the workshop I would most definitely like a Caravell with a Floride roof.

Enjoy your project,

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Sorry Jeff,
    I seem to have started a trend ............!!! After driving a friends Floride and my clients Caravelle, I have changed my opinion on the vehicles. I am not a convertible person, but they are very nice as a Sunday driver, and maybe that is exactly what they were designed for. If I didn't have other projects in the workshop I would most definitely like a Caravell with a Floride roof. Enjoy your project, Ray
    Very funny Ray! I agree - they are quite sweet boulevard cruisers and very stylish. They are comfortable and cruise well. Absolutely not intended or engineered structurally as a sports car.

What a find though!!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

C'mon Ray, give Peter a call there in Perth and buy his Caravelle if its still for sale.
    You know you want it, drop in a largely worked engine and enjoy the wind in your hair while your still got some.
    Or, I can send you one of my Florides for you to get running and enjoy 350 days of the year and the other 15 I'll need it.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    C'mon Ray, give Peter a call there in Perth and buy his Caravelle if its still for sale.
    You know you want it, drop in a largely worked engine and enjoy the wind in your hair while your still got some.
    Or, I can send you one of my Florides for you to get running and enjoy 350 days of the year and the other 15 I'll need it.
    Very funny John! Trust you are well.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

1000+ Posts

As it is R1131 and assuming it has a Caravelle badge on the front then with that hardtop it should be a 4 seater. If so I think it would be a brave soul that runs a Gordini engine in it with the roof off. They were not designed to have the roof off. But perhaps it has been rebuilt as a two seat and/or hopefully strengthened.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information