330 transmission throw out bearings
  • Help

Default 330 transmission throw out bearings

330 transmission throw out bearings-1340-engine-build-8.jpg

I have recently come across the two types of throw out bearings and found a guided shaft style with a carbon bearing ??? I was under the impression that the carbon bearing style did not use a the guided shaft and yet two of the Manic cars that I have disassemble came with a carbon bearing and the guided shaft ?? Can somebody fill me in on what was suppose to be what ,or are these 2 examples a mistake ??

Manic gt

Advertisement

This is the first time I have seen this. Normally the guided shaft runs with a roller thrust bearing. There is a difference in the forks as well apart from the different width at the bearing mount. I think the guided fork bellhousing type won't fit on the other bellhousing because the seat where the swivel takes place is too wide.

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Hi Manic,
    I have never seen this before, and can only assume that the carbon thrust came in the kit when the clutch was done so it was fitted that way. All the kits I have seen are ordered with the thrust bearing in mind and are fitted accordingly. The gearbox with the guide tube has a roller thrust bearing.

A number of intermediate pressure plates still came with the triangular thrust pad and a roller bearing thrust, and eventually I found they worked better with the triangle removed. And then the pressure plates came without the triangle pad.

Different scenario on the R16. Flat faced thrust bearing and radius faced thrust bearing. I only know the R8/10 to have had a radius face thrust bearing ?????

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

I wrecked a couple of R10s back when I was a mere grasshopper and one of had the above arrangement, so I guess it's part of the car's journey that some none standard parts find their way into the mix..
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Just as a update Thanks for your input and thoughts !!

I started to clean up the 330 trans that had the carbon throw out bearing ,but what I thought should have been the bearing styled throw out bearing. I found excessive in and out play on the pinion shaft ( about 1 inch ) so I also checked the other trans that had the same arrangement and it also had excessive play so I assume I have 2 defective transmissions . I will have to take them apart to see what damage occurred and will keep you posted.

thanks again

Manic gt

Quote Originally Posted by Manic GT View Post
    Just as a update Thanks for your input and thoughts !!

I started to clean up the 330 trans that had the carbon throw out bearing ,but what I thought should have been the bearing styled throw out bearing. I found excessive in and out play on the pinion shaft ( about 1 inch ) so I also checked the other trans that had the same arrangement and it also had excessive play so I assume I have 2 defective transmissions . I will have to take them apart to see what damage occurred and will keep you posted.

thanks again

Manic gt
    I'll be interested to hear more on this one. They can be a bit sloppy side to side but are pinned to the splined output shaft in the diff housing. I don't know how there could be longitudinal play. Happily I've not had one apart for years and years....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

330 transmission throw out bearings-330-trans-rebuild-2.jpg330 transmission throw out bearings-330-trans-rebuild-1.jpg330 transmission throw out bearings-330-trans-rebuild-3.jpg

As a update I did some more investigation on the first transmission end play problem and found a few additional problems !
    The end play was the input shaft sliding back and forth in side the pinned coupler ? The pin had not broke but should these shafts be free to move in the coupler ?? Why did they not pin both sides of the coupler ? and last but not least what should the actual length be if one was going to lock this coupler up again with either a lock tight compound or a pin ?
    The other issues I will address is some scored and pitted bearings and the trans had a little water damage not surprising considering the casing was heavily coated with grease and oil indicating it was leaking badly.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Manic GT

Thread Information