Coolant question?
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Coolant question?

Tadpole

Default Coolant question?

I have an 807 engine in my R12 that has to go into hibernation for a while. I'm not sure how to store it. Do I drain and flush and leave the radiator and heater matrix dry? Knowing that I can't get all the water out of the block, how do I ensure I don't have problems when I fire it up again? I have read about waterless coolant, I would be interested in your comments.

Advertisement

My 4CV sat for years with rainwater in it and to my surprise there were no problems. The R8 sat for two years while we lived in Kenya with up to date coolant in it with no problems.

I'd be inclined to flush it out with clean water and refill with fresh coolant, drive it a bit to get the whole thing mixed evenly, then just leave it at that.

I'll be interested to see other views though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Russell C View Post
    I have an 807 engine in my R12 that has to go into hibernation for a while. I'm not sure how to store it. Do I drain and flush and leave the radiator and heater matrix dry? Knowing that I can't get all the water out of the block, how do I ensure I don't have problems when I fire it up again? I have read about waterless coolant, I would be interested in your comments.
    The cooling system, like the ones for the R8's and R10's before it was designed as a fully sealed system, i.e: with the correct "in date" coolant mixture employed, no corrosion ior damage would occur for very extended periods. Frost, ice and pretty cold weather were also taken care of by the authorised coolant mixture, although it also raised the boiling point to cope with extreme high temperatures. Your engine's cooling system will do much better stored full of the good stuff than dry. After all, it was designed as a liquid cooled engine.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Being in Qld no need for anything containing glycol I would bedraining flushing and refilling with Penrite 10 Tenths racing coolant much better corrosion protection than glycol based products and will not leave a slime build up in your cooling system

Far cheaper than waterless coolants too!

There shouldn't be any problem leaving it dry were it not for the pump seals which can get dry and shrink and never seal again. Make sure you use type A coolant.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Just need to really avoid any corrosion where the liners sit in the block.
    Corrosion here will write off engine.

I'd suggest you fill with new fluids take it for a big hoon drive so the engine is fully up to temp (+100 degrees) to boil of any moisture in the oil and associated sections of the engine, then park her up and never ever start her without repeating the hoon process.

Do not leave the engine dry(empty)and do not occasionaly start it up for a few minutes thinking it is doing some good (like charging the battery or something).
    All you'll do is dump water into those areas of the engine you least want it...the oily bits and the exhaust.

I dont think alloy radiators with solder like being left dry. I cant remember the exact details but something happens with the solder and you end up having to replace the radiator.

Jo

COL

How long is long term? Cars don't like being sat around for indefinite lengths of time.

I would change all the fluids, oil, coolant, brake fluid, gearbox oil then do as jo suggests and go for a decent length drive to get everything nice and warm then park it up.

Here are a few links to storing a car long term, there is a bit more than just coolant to think about.

Store and More | Self Storage, Boat & Caravan Storage Victoria ? Long Term Car Storage Tips

How To Prep Your Car for Long-Term Storage | Edmunds.com
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Interesting comments on the Edmunds site about the vehicle needing to be driven every 2 weeks. I'm about to go to England for a month and don't have anyone at home to drive the car in my absence. I thought I'd just about get away with it for that long but having read their comments, I'm not so sure now.

My obvious concern is the battery, which I thought should hold its charge for 30 days but I'd be interested to hear what anyone cares to offer.

Car is a 2015 Megane.

Cheers,

pj

Quote Originally Posted by Berlioz View Post
    My obvious concern is the battery, which I thought should hold its charge for 30 days but I'd be interested to hear what anyone cares to offer.
    If the battery is in good condition, it should hold its charge for a month.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Our 1996 Xantia holds its charge for at least a month. I think 7 weeks is the longest and it still started. You don't need much of a current leak to wreck that idea though - our BX wouldn't last 3 weeks.

I'd just go and recognise you might need a battery charger to get it going afterwards, or buy a good electronic charger (e.g. Jaycar) and leave it plugged in.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Or just disconnect the battery before leaving.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    If the battery is in good condition, it should hold its charge for a month.
    Ditto what Simon said, if the battery won't hold charge for that long I would say you are nearly due for a new battery.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Tadpole

Hi Simon, could you advise the capacity of the R17 cooling system so I can mix up the right ratio of coolant. Thanks Russ.

the capacity of the R17 cooling system
    5.5 litres
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thread Information