• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pat130
  • 1 Post By alan moore
  • 1 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: renault fregate spotted for sale

Tadpole

Default renault fregate spotted for sale

renault fregate spotted for sale-20150829_141037.jpgrenault fregate spotted for sale-20150829_141053.jpgrenault fregate spotted for sale-20150829_141114.jpgrenault fregate spotted for sale-20150829_141157.jpgrenault fregate spotted for sale-20150829_141236.jpgRenault Fregate for sale @ U Pull it Lonsdale South Australia for $2500 in window. Car is complete with working horn & battery.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Pat130; 29th August 2015 at 04:27 PM.
    addo likes this.

Let's hope someone wants it. I suspect there are a few around, emerging from sheds. There used to be a Domain and a Prairie in a driveway on Glyndburn Road near the fire station at the northern end of the road, about opposite Glynde Wreckers, where I spent many hours in the late 1960s.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Oi J-man, is that the same one..?

That's a 1956 methink.
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

I was hoping to see a photo of a Spotted Fregate in the wild....I'm disappointed.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Here's another French Sports car, the fregates brother?. But not from a source you would expect or at particularly affordable price.

Featured 1959 Renault Caravelle at J-Spec Imports

Howeverm, it looks to be in very condition.

Snap! A non-Renault person told us about a weird Renolt earlier in the week at U-Pull-It, I was closeish earlier on today and decided to have a look. It turns out that it is the one that was at Rainsford's Collectable Clunkers earlier on this year, and previously discussed on AF's.

It needs a fair amount of work to the body, the sills are full of bog, the door bottoms are rusted out, otherwise it is very complete, right down to the radiator blind, and in some respects hasn't seen a lot of sun. It even had a shadow of its original Yes, It's Another Renault sticker on the rear window.

A couple of other points of interest with the car. The clock was still ticking, as well as functioning, and the bulb in the light with the broken front blinker was one of the original frosted globes. Mileage on the clock was 36K, so at least 136,000 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails renault fregate spotted for sale-dsc07012.jpg   renault fregate spotted for sale-dsc07027.jpg   renault fregate spotted for sale-dsc07026.jpg   renault fregate spotted for sale-dsc07006.jpg   renault fregate spotted for sale-dsc07031.jpg   renault fregate spotted for sale-dsc07037.jpg  

Last edited by Simon; 29th August 2015 at 07:25 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Here's another French Sports car, the fregates brother?. But not from a source you would expect or at particularly affordable price.

Featured 1959 Renault Caravelle at J-Spec Imports

Howeverm, it looks to be in very condition.
    Unusually, in a right hand drive country, it appears to be LHD?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Oi J-man, is that the same one..?

That's a 1956 methink.
    To answer my own question, that is the same Fregate that has been on sale for a few years now.FOR SALE 1956 RENAULT FREGATE SEDAN

It's a shame to see it sitting out in the weather like that though. Judging by the visible rust it would be reasonable to assume the existence of some structural rust as well, but still quite repairable.

It looks to be complete and is correctly priced at $2500, I dare some South Australian to take it on, I dare you..
    Every day when I wake up I reach up in the darkness with my eyes shut and if I cannot feel anything that resembles a wooden lid I know it will be a good day. No lid today.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Unusually, in a right hand drive country, it appears to be LHD?
    I guess the Japanese allowed "black sheep" and odd balls into the country, just a Australia did in the past.

The R5 turbo from the same importer is LHD as well.

I guess the Japanese allowed "black sheep" and odd balls into the country, just a Australia did in the past.

The R5 turbo from the same importer is LHD as well.
    In Japan it seems there is a status associated with having/driving a left hand drive car. Old cars in Japan, in the past at least, had large taxes attached to their ownership and registration, and so are now quite rare and valuable in that country now, early Japanese cars particularly.
    addo likes this.
    '56 Renault 4CV (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '82 Renault Fuego GTX
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '02 and '03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee+

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    In Japan it seems there is a status associated with having/driving a left hand drive car. Old cars in Japan, in the past at least, had large taxes attached to their ownership and registration, and so are now quite rare and valuable in that country now, early Japanese cars particularly.
    The situation is same for new Japanese car too. Every two years the car is required to be issued with a "shaken", which is Government accredited RWC of monumentally stringent proportions. It's so expensive, that most cars in their 6th year are almost an economic write off to re-register and the cost is comparable to purchasing a new car. This is deliberate strategy to ensure cars on the roads are in good condition and comply with latest emission requirements.

There are collectors in Japan too but I'm not sure if or how legislation makes it attractive to collect older cars. but they certainly attract premium prices at auction.

That's why there are so many low distance Japanese available at a fair price for export. The distance can be accurately ascertained because of the "shaken" odo readings are listed on the export certificate (also called deregistration certificate) So if buy a import make sure you see this certificate, which any reputable importer will let you see.

I got a real laugh to see a certain NSW import retailer Edward L***, named as Edward Scissor hands in the car forums after being caught wizzing odos.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    To answer my own question, that is the same Fregate that has been on sale for a few years now.FOR SALE 1956 RENAULT FREGATE SEDAN

It's a shame to see it sitting out in the weather like that though. Judging by the visible rust it would be reasonable to assume the existence of some structural rust as well, but still quite repairable.

It looks to be complete and is correctly priced at $2500, I dare some South Australian to take it on, I dare you..
    I had noticed it missing from across the road on my lunch time walks and thought someone had finally bought it. I agree it's sad to see it end up at the wreckers. Hopefully someone with plenty of time and a big fat wallet will snap it up. As previously mentioned, it's waaaay out of my league
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I had noticed it missing from across the road on my lunch time walks and thought someone had finally bought it. I agree it's sad to see it end up at the wreckers. Hopefully someone with plenty of time and a big fat wallet will snap it up. As previously mentioned, it's waaaay out of my league
    I've no idea if the car was on consignment, and the original owner sold it to the wreckers, but I find it amusing that a dealer who is apparently fostering the preservation and restoration of old cars let it go to the knackery. Surely he could see the car required a considerable amount of work, any of which would be a labour of love, rather than an adding of value. OK, try the car at $3K, but even a casual search would tell you they are no split screen Microbus Deluxe in terms of value. It would be better to have popped a more sensible price on the car, or even just popped it onto Ebay $1 no reserve starting price. At least then it either stands a chance of; a) hanging around for another 43 years; b) getting restored; or c) stripped down in more controlled circumstances as a donor vehicle.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Makes the white one look cheep ,and what douse the 750 in the ad mean ,that there not sure what it is ,or a 750 on steroids ,pugs

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    Makes the white one look cheep ,and what douse the 750 in the ad mean ,that there not sure what it is ,or a 750 on steroids ,pugs
    It's just a missprint there Pugwash. I spoke with the owners Missus a few years back (before I bought M'lady) and she knew what it was. But nothing came of it because hubby never called me back after my initial enquiry. I seem to remember they had 2 Fregates available.

It's a shame to see these old Fregates being ignored though, the one in the paddock has been there for 3 years that I know of.

The situation is same for new Japanese car too. Every two years the car is required to be issued with a "shaken", which is Government accredited RWC of monumentally stringent proportions. It's so expensive, that most cars in their 6th year are almost an economic write off to re-register and the cost is comparable to purchasing a new car. This is deliberate strategy to ensure cars on the roads are in good condition and comply with latest emission requirements.

There are collectors in Japan too but I'm not sure if or how legislation makes it attractive to collect older cars. but they certainly attract premium prices at auction.

That's why there are so many low distance Japanese available at a fair price for export. The distance can be accurately ascertained because of the "shaken" odo readings are listed on the export certificate (also called deregistration certificate) So if buy a import make sure you see this certificate, which any reputable importer will let you see.

I got a real laugh to see a certain NSW import retailer Edward L***, named as Edward Scissor hands in the car forums after being caught wizzing odos.
    There is a status with left hand drive cars especially mercedes benz. It is usually a limited import of a certain model. Japan isn't as strict as NSW for importing cars either so people can organise a special import through a dealership without too much extra expense.

The whole shaken thing is a bit of an exaggeration. their shaken is every 2 years and without any repairs required costs about $1000 for a family car. not very different compared to rego in Australia. The difference is that shaken is also the pinkslip so unaware people can be lulled into paying massive amounts to replace parts that don't need changing because it will be another 2 years before the next check.

the only other expense that encourages people to buy a new car is at 10 years old there is an enviromental tax of around $50 to $100.

Currently due to the economic circumstances of Japan the car fleet is aging rapidly with people keeping cars 10 years or more.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    I was told yesterday that $1,000 would get it now. So please someone take it before it gets crushed.

Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Whoever gets it can expect a few free, or near free, bits and bobs from me as an incentive.

What are you waiting for?
    J-man likes this.

1000+ Posts

Come on you guys Fregates are beautiful cars. And a great car to cruise in.

...and rare.

Thread Information