R8 brakes
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By COL

Thread: R8 brakes

Default R8 brakes

I am seeking suggestions for how to remove flexible brake hoses from the front of an R8. I am suffering from senility, I believe, because I recall removing, renewing and replacing the hoses on the R 10 which I drove to the tip of Cape York a mere 5 years ago. For the life of me, I cannot remember how I did this, and I assume that the setup is the same.

Advertisement

The calipers and the rear hoses came off easily but I am stuck at the inner ends of the front flexible hoses. I can get a 17 mm open-ended spanner in place to hold the end of the flexible hose. I can get an 11 mm flare nut spanner onto the nut at the end of the fixed pipe, with some difficulty, but cannot find the room to swing it enough to undo anything!

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for the correct tools or procedures to help a dummy overcome what should be a straightforward issue.

Thanks, Keith the frustrated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 brakes-p8266054.jpg   R8 brakes-p8266050.jpg   R8 brakes-20150826_112648_hdr.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Keith,
    The method I used last was to first remove the spring clip, the plate thing in the first pic with the hole at the top. You then have more room to get to the 11mm spanner on the nut. I don't know if it's correct but I pull the rubber hose toward the outside of the car to get to that 11mm nut.

Cheers and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    Hi Keith,
    The method I used last was to first remove the spring clip, the plate thing in the first pic with the hole at the top. You then have more room to get to the 11mm spanner on the nut. I don't know if it's correct but I pull the rubber hose toward the outside of the car to get to that 11mm nut.

Cheers and good luck.
    Thanks, I had removed the spring clip from one of the sides, but wasn't game enough to pull the "join" through the hole in the mount for fear of putting too much stress on the rigid pipe.
    Keith

COL

You may find using a 17mm flare nut spanner as well as the 11mm flare nut spanner the go as well.

I usually try to place the spanners about 30 deg apart and squeeze like using a pair of pliers. Usually save the skin on the pinkys and does not wreck the brake lines.
    J-man likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I do the same as bustamif, but do it on the inside from memory. In both the last two cases, I either did; or intend to replace the rigid line to the master cylinder anyhow though.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    You may find using a 17mm flare nut spanner as well as the 11mm flare nut spanner the go as well.

I usually try to place the spanners about 30 deg apart and squeeze like using a pair of pliers. Usually save the skin on the pinkys and does not wreck the brake lines.
    Good advice, thank you Col. I will try with a 17 mm flare nut spanner as well. If I can have both nuts to the outside it may enter my "can do this" zone.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I do the same as bustamif, but do it on the inside from memory. In both the last two cases, I either did; or intend to replace the rigid line to the master cylinder anyhow though.
    Thanks KB,
    Obviously all you guys get the 2 nuts on the same side of the mount.
    I am hoping not to damage the rigid pipe, because I do not believe it contributed to my problem of a sticking front right brake. Taking nuts inboard of the bracket doesn't look like it would immediately become do-able, but I will check again tomorrow.
    Keith

COL

Keith

When you have removed the spring loaded clip and unclip the solid line things will be easier.

The R12 has a similar setup but looks a bit more open that the R10 looking at your pics.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thread Information