Renault CARAVELLE melted wiring harness !!
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnW

Thread: Renault CARAVELLE melted wiring harness !!

Default Renault CARAVELLE melted wiring harness !!

My worst nightmare - Wiring harness just went up in smoke!!

Advertisement

The thick grey wiring harness that runs from the rear tail lights up behind the voltage regulator and disappears down the passengers side back of the rear firewall just melted itself!!!

Anybody out there that might have a decent wiring diagram that I could get a copy of please, maybe an extract from a (Australian built ?) 1964 Renault Caravelle workshop manual.

Not sure what caused it but I had turned the lights on an off several times previously.

any advice/wiring diagrams would be very gratefully received.

Thanks guys
    Phil

Bad luck Phil. That won't be much fun to fix. Hope the cause becomes obvious. I don't have a relevant manual I'm afraid.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Not nice letting the smoke out of the wires.

What you can do is remove the wiring harness and you should be able to see what the colours are either side of the burnt part and just replace them.

Your other option is to replace the whole harness with another known good one.

It sounds like the cause was a short to the chassis somewhere, maybe in one of the lights or even a wire that has chafed through.

Unfortunately older cars do not have many fuses to protect against this sort of thing.

Good luck with getting it sorted, there is plenty of help on here.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I've only got a scanned copy of the French MR 87 workshop manual, stolen from the web sometime in the past. As usual, Renault wiring diagrams are to be used as a guide only. They can vary somewhat from what is in the car - at least there is one, unlike an 8G where the factory never seems to have got that far.

One major difference for the RHD UK/AU spec cars I could think of, is that the parking lights will be wired to the headlight unit rather than the front blinkers (with a dual filament globe) as on the French spec cars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault CARAVELLE melted wiring harness !!-r1133pg1.jpg   Renault CARAVELLE melted wiring harness !!-r1133pg2.jpg   Renault CARAVELLE melted wiring harness !!-r1133pg3.jpg   Renault CARAVELLE melted wiring harness !!-r1133pg4.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thank you John, Col and Simon.

At least now I have some reference to ponder over. I haven't started it yet but I have to have it back on the road for the South Eastern Car Club event in Naracoorte 28 -29 this month so wish me luck. You're right about the lack of fuses in old cars, the Caravelle has two, I think!!

When I find them I'll be interested to see why they didn't blow before cooking the harness.

Can anybody tell me where the thick grey loom goes after it disappears down behind the rear fire wall. I'm guessing it goes inside behind the rear seat swab as there was a lot of smoke inside the car as well as outside!!

I'm praying the voltage regulator didn't suffer, not like you could buy another at the local spares mob.

Thanks again Guys

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    My worst nightmare - Wiring harness just went up in smoke!!

The thick grey wiring harness that runs from the rear tail lights up behind the voltage regulator and disappears down the passengers side back of the rear firewall just melted itself!!!

Anybody out there that might have a decent wiring diagram that I could get a copy of please, maybe an extract from a (Australian built ?) 1964 Renault Caravelle workshop manual.

Not sure what caused it but I had turned the lights on an off several times previously.

any advice/wiring diagrams would be very gratefully received.

Thanks guys
    Phil
    Some sage advice. Install a fusible link at battery after you replace it.

Something like this is suggested: Fuse Link | Female Fusible Link with Lock - 75Amps

If you root around in some Toyota and VK Holden (front rhs near relays) engine bays in diy wreckers you should find the fuse/ link and a socket.

Current rating is not overly important but 2 x alternator peak output is minimum.

Cooked and melted wires in looms are PITA, because often a major melt denudes and shorts on other adjacent cables.
    The only really 100% satisfactory method of repair is to take the loom out of the vehicle (often easier said than done!) , lay it out on the bench 'with several nails holding the shape (hint: rubber bands around the wire exit points from the loom holds it in place nicely.)

Then cut away the taped covering to expose the innards. You can then separate the burnt cables for the others and do a thorough inspection of other wires condition.

It's also easy to replace the cooked cable and after taping up it will look better than new.
    This tape is magic for repairs inside the loom
    Heatshrink Tape - Black | Heatshrink & Accessories | Cable Accessories | Wire, Cable & Accessories | PRODUCTS | WH5659 | Jaycar Electronics

Best of luck.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Robmac, thanks for that advice. I was pondering a large fusible link as I drove home today thinking of Phil's misfortune. Now you've given me a link. I need a 200 amp one for the Citroen CX, but 75 should do nicely for the two Renaults.

Unfortunately for Phil, the Lucas Replacement Smoke Kits don't work on metric wiring systems.
    27of85 likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks Robmac. All this good advice and materials suggested should see me right when I get into it.

All the best

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Thanks Robmac. All this good advice and materials suggested should see me right when I get into it.

All the best

Phil
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Thread Information