Tyre advice RS 225 Sport Cup
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: Tyre advice RS 225 Sport Cup

Tadpole

Default Tyre advice RS 225 Sport Cup

Anyone have a view on best tyres for a Renault Megane RS 225 Sport Cup ? Dealer is recommending Pirelli P Zero. I had heard Michelin Pilot Sport. Ideas welcome.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris66 View Post
    Anyone have a view on best tyres for a Renault Megane RS 225 Sport Cup ? Dealer is recommending Pirelli P Zero. I had heard Michelin Pilot Sport. Ideas welcome.
    Please give two bits of info:
    1. your tyre size; &
    2. your priorities among tyre characteristics (crisp response? wet braking? predictable transitions when limits are transgressed? . . . ).

In the meantime, you might want to browse the magazine tests at the site:
    Tyre tests at tyrereviews - TyreReviews

Opinions are probably to be had on the Australian Renault Sports site as well.

cheers! Peter

There is a long running thread on this on ozrenaultsport

http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.c...ave-you-tried/

1000+ Posts

Hmm! I had a look (thanks for the link - note that one would have to register to access it) but it's not a very sophisticated thread it seems to me. I'd be more inclined to have a thorough browse of Tyre Reviews's magazine test summaries.

If Chis ever returns to this thread with his priorities (& advice as to whether he wants 225 or 235/4O-18 ) then we'll walk through a short-list.

cheers! Peter

I run German made Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on my RS. Bought them for $200 a corner from Tempe Tyres.

They hang on well and I'm pretty happy with them. I haven't thrown it around (getting old these days) so can't comment on the on-the-limit handling.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

1000+ Posts

Of possible interest is the latest magazine test summary from Tyre Reviews in the UK.

2015 EVO Magazine Performance Tyre Test - TyreReviews

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Of possible interest is the latest magazine test summary from Tyre Reviews in the UK.

2015 EVO Magazine Performance Tyre Test - TyreReviews

cheers! Peter
    here's the full magazine test link:

evo Tyre Test 2015 | Evo

Peter
    addo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Another one of those lovely 4 for the price of 3 deals is now on again (until end of October) from Continental.

Terms & conditions: Promotional period is valid from September 1st - October 31st 2015 or while stocks last. This offer is available to consumers who purchase three Continental branded tyres from Continental's Passenger, 4x4 and Light Commercial tyre range, where they will receive the fourth tyre of the same size and pattern free. If there is a staggered filment, Continental Tyres will reimburse the tyre of lesser value.
    The free tyre is issued at the point of sale. Offer excludes businesses, fleets and not-for-profit organisations are not eligible to be part of this promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    I run German made Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres on my RS. Bought them for $200 a corner from Tempe Tyres.

They hang on well and I'm pretty happy with them. I haven't thrown it around (getting old these days) so can't comment on the on-the-limit handling.

Dave
    Looks like these beasties went pretty well.

I guess it comes down to what the first three places cost?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Hi,
    Sorry to be slow to respond. My experience with my R26 is that Pilot Sport PS2s are a good road tyre but a bit lacking in grip on the track. They're a good general purpose tyre with fairly good wear, wet and dry grip, aqua-planing resistance etc. I found Pirelli P-Zeros to be inferior to PS2s in most respects.
    However, the tyre that I am currently using is the Hankook RS3, also called a Z222, in 235/40/18 size. These are a directional road-legal semi-track tyre with very good and progressive dry grip, fairly good wet grip and mediocre aqua-planning resistance. The R26 is used for both road and track, mainly on clockwise circuits.
    I have just replaced the left side tyres with more of the same after 6,000km. The right side tyre will be probably be good for a total of 10,000km of mixed road and track use. I paid $225 each for the latest tyres.
    I know someone with a Nissan GTR who does more road work and less track work than me. He says he gets 15,000km from a set of RS3s, which may be a better guide as to mileage than my 6,000/10,000km. Overall, since the price is moderate and the grip so good and progressive, I think that RS3s are worth a try!

Harrisonati

1000+ Posts

I think that we give up on the original poster as not having the courtesy to return & respond. Good riddance I say.

My impression was that he (& perhaps others here) is (are) more after a road tyre focus though. For that, apart from the SC5, within Michelin I would be recommending the PS2 replacement, the SuperSport, over the PS2 in that it loses nothing in crispness & dry grip & gains considerably in wet grip & transition behaviour. But there's a range of good possibilities depending on size & availability & the desired profile of capability trade-offs (including the, now surely due a successor, PZero).

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 7th September 2015 at 04:55 PM.

Thread Information