• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: Bridgestone Turanza T100

1000+ Posts

Default Bridgestone Turanza T100

Briefly, the story so far:

My R8 & 4CV run 14" wheels & the rears are 185/60. Each runs a tranverse leaf camber compensator (& has for about 40 years). At the start of this story, the R8 had sagged standard springs & 2 of-ve camber (remember that the transverse leaf acts as a support spring). On near even pressures all round, the handling was neutral to oversteer using the Conti EcoContact3 tyres long fitted on these vehicles.

So far, so satisfactory. I liked the tyre set-up I had but the EC3 was no longer available. This used to be a size which was very well populated with taut & wet-grippy tyres but no longer. From a mediocre medium list, I ended up with a short list of 2: Pirelli's P1 & Bridgestone's T001. I chose the latter.

I was aware that they had a sloppy structure but theory (& my past experience of various tyres which were not very tautly structured - including the EC3) suggested that this would likely be remediable by increased tyre pressure.

Advertisement

It wasn't. The tail remained loose even when I reverted to large front/rear pressure differences & high rears. I ended up fitting softer springs to lessen the lateral forces on the rear contact-patches & this proved successful. One aspect of this was additional -ve camber at 4+.

That level of rear camber has, on my 4CVG, led to inner edge rear despite my brisk cornering practices & oversteer handling balance set up. Accordingly, I flip tyres on their rims to even this. My expectation was that the T100 (especially given the rear weight transfer reducing soft or springs) would give a similar pattern on similar camber.

The new bits of the story:

Two things have happened which surprise me.

The first is that the wear pattern of the R8 rears is that the outside edges have worn more than the inside (& no, it doesn't have excessive toe-in & that wasn't the pattern with various previous sets of tyres). Clearly I am getting considerable lateral tread migration & sidewall fold-under.

So, the lesson seems to be that this is definitely a tyre to be avoided if one at all values a crisp structure.

Which bring me to my second update:

Out of curiosity, I fitted the T001s to the rear of the 4CVG (which was having its EC3 tyres flipped as per above). The 4CVG has stiffer rear springs than the R8 & I expected the fitment to be a disaster as, apart from that, the fronts are tauter tyres than those on the R8. All in all, given similar rear tyres & pressures, the 4CVG is "tailier" than the R8. To my surprise, the T001s were fine. There was none of the rear looseness that disturbed me about them when I first fitted them to the R8. Mind you, they are more worn now. My current explanatory hypothesis is that, despite my initial appraisal of it, the tread elements are more unstable under load than I appreciated. And, obviously, the less worn the tread, the taller the blocks & the more unstable they are. So, not only does the T001 have a sloppy structure, it has (when new anyway) an unusually unstable tread - at least when new. A double recipe for trouble then.

The upshot of all of this is that, while I can now happily drive on them on either vehicle, my next set of 185/60 will be Pirelli's P1.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 5th July 2015 at 12:31 AM.
    FedGrapes likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hmm! stuffed up the name - 'T001', not 'T100'. Post redacted but I have no idea how to change the thread name.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information