R8 Gordini vs Aston Martin Zagato.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree13Likes
  • 8 Post By Frans
  • 3 Post By keith mcelroy
  • 1 Post By ElPicador
  • 1 Post By Renomad

Thread: R8 Gordini vs Aston Martin Zagato.

Default R8 Gordini vs Aston Martin Zagato.

I was paging through the www. tonight and came across some pictures that actually shocked and surprised me all at once. This is real bragging pictures. It was taken the end of Jan when we had that big race. The pictures show me and a 7000cc Aston Martin accelerating out of the second hairpin at Hampton Downs and in the series of 3 pictures he could not make any headway. Needless to say if it comes to higher speeds I dropped out, but I just enjoyed the moment of a few meters.

The entrant is second on the program, car no 3.

These pictures are the acceleration ones.

Advertisement

Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Bravo!

I wonder if he builds his own engine?

Good stuff.
    Keith
    Berridale, J-man and JohnW like this.

1000+ Posts

I think that you should try to change your # to '666'.

cheers! Peter

That's quite weird. Maybe his gearing is wrong, or he's in the wrong gear. Just saying, his engine is probably not that revvy, which would lead one believe it has massive torque hence should out accelerate anything at idle speed. Or maybe his car is the weight of Jupiter. Then again, maybe his engine is all show and no go (which seems to be the case). Seven litres and not doing much with it. Either way, great shots and well done Frans.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Banned

Hi Frans.
    Out of the list of entrants, which cars are the top runners?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElPicador View Post
    Hi Frans.
    Out of the list of entrants, which cars are the top runners?

Thanks
    Everyone gets good days and bad days, but on average I will rate them as follows: Car No. 28, 93, 333, 739, 48, 83, 158.

I noticed the Ferrari 308 is up for sale at $80 k.

Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Banned

Thanks for that. It certainly goes to show that preconceived notions about which cars are "faster" than other ones, don't necessarily mean much when you actually pit them against each other, and particularly not when there is some race preparation involved.

It could also be the driver.
    Last year when I went to the Touring Car Masters there was a nice Mustang that was always towards the back of the field.
    I happened to be walking passed the pit garage for this Mustang when I over heard a conversation between one of the pit crew and a by stander.
    The by stander asked, "What's up with the Mustang? Why is it off the pace?"
    The pit crew member replied, "Nothing, it's just the driver."
    Not something I'd want to hear if I was the driver!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

1000+ Posts

Perhaps he is cautious and just doesn't want to ding it. Dings and blown motors cost money. I didn't drive my R17Ts as hard as I might have at Qld raceway for those reasons. It was also my every day drive car. Even an off can be embarrassing and therefore enough to slow one down a bit. Perhaps its a bit different if it is a dedicated race car.

Then again, Mustangs (and Astons for that matter) are not renowned for their speed or handling. A big V8 lump up front in a RWD car can't help either. Frans' car proves this brilliantly. I remember Alfa has some cars where they put the engine up front and the g'box at the back for a better weight distribution. That would perhaps be the next best thing to perfection, but under acceleration whatever you do, you want as much weight as possible on the rear hence Frans' car is perhaps closer to ideal.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Banned

The Geoghans used to race Mustangs and Coupe Fairlanes in the past, and I can vouch for having seen one of the Mustangs completely tearing up the field in historic racing in Sydney in recent years. While one might not think of such a car as handling well, that seems to be irrelevant when used with the right setup in the right conditions ie on a smooth racetrack. I also have noted this in the past, where apparently ponderous old Jags are running neck and neck around a racetrack with Mini Coopers. Or if you look at results in the Targa Tasmania. The results are often hard to understand, which I assume gets down to setup and money spent, and it seems that fast cars have to be really fast to make a clear difference in the results.
    Sunroof likes this.

Yeah, Ian "Pete" Geoghegan Mustang handled like a bucket of sh!t.

My stock standard skinny tyred R10 was faster up a slippery muddy slope than a mate's modified Datsun 1600.
    The engine weight over the skinny tyres that dug deep into the mud until they found something more solid were the winner that day.
    Or the traffic light drag I had in my stock R12 wagon against an V8 XC Falcon Coupe, long story short, I kicked his arse because the roads were wet and he couldn't/didn't know how to get his power to the ground.
    The lack of horse power was a deciding factor in bother these events.

Different horses for different courses.
    Last edited by Renomad; 26th June 2015 at 10:34 AM.
    59 Floride likes this.
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

The old school drivers like Pete/Leo Geoghan, Bob Jane ,Alan Moffit, Brian Thompson, Rusty French etc, etc were able to do things that modern drivers perhaps can't.
    They worked with what they had and many raced with hangovers in those days.
    Races in those days were pretty gritty.

I doubt you would get today's drivers to sit in some of the cars they raced!

Thread Information