Renault Koleos Bose (rental car) review
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Renault Koleos Bose (rental car) review

Hi Renault-ites,

Usually on the Pug side of the forum, but tonight I got given a new (1400 odd kms) Renault Koleos Bose, petrol with CVT transmission and with leather interior as a rental car for my work trip tomorrow. I always ask for something with the indicator on the left as I always set the wipers off in a Jap/Australian car. I usually end up with a VW Passat, Golf or Camry but have been lucky enough to get a Merc A180 once (which was ok but underpowered I felt).

I'm not a big fan of SUVs and prefer my hatches but first impressions are relatively good. I dont feel sick when I go around a roundabout in the Koleos as it has nice French suspension, which immediately makes it better than the Mitsubishi ASX I drive the other week!

Assisted steering is light and floaty which I dont like but I can see the sense in having it around town. I've only driven from Melbourne CBD to Hawthorn so far so not too much to report yet.

Anyway I have 7 hrs of driving tomorrow in both city and country so I shall report back tomorrow night. Is there anything anyone wants to know in particular?

Advertisement
    1998 N5 306 XSi

Pump your front tyres to an accurate 34 psi and rears to 32 and let us know how it handles....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Fellow Frogger!

Something that the rental car mob should have done and something I should check. I'll pop into a servo tomorrow morning and do that Kim!
    1998 N5 306 XSi

Fellow Frogger!

Well sorry Kim - I didn't get a chance to check the tyre pressures as I was late getting out the door at 5:45am

Anyway I managed to put 510km's on the Koleos in a day with a mix of city and freeway driving and that took 49.75L of petrol. The Koleos can take 91 RON so I'm assuming that was what is in the tank when I got it. So 10L per 100km which in my eyes is reasonable for a large SUV (and is not far off the specified 9.3L per 100km combined figure given for it). For reference, I am by no means a gentle, conservative driver and I get economy of around 15L per 100km on 98 RON in my auto 2L 306 around town

Starting the car was interesting for me as it was my first experience with push button ignition. I wanted to complain that the slot in the centre console for the keycard was not backlit and impossible to find in the dark but I realised later I didn't need to have the card in it! It was neat not having to take the card out of my pocket. I'm assuming it's proximity so if you get carjacked and have it in your pocket it won't go far

Around town the assisted steering is very light, however it is nicely weighted at highway speeds. It was easy to manouver and the reversing camera is useful for a SUV, especially one that you are unfamilar with.

The ride was nice and supple and soaked up the bumps and small potholes without fuss. There was also no body roll in corners, unlike with mainstream cars (ie. cars for mainstream consumers to go from A to B). The tyres didnt seem under-inflated, but I can't confirm if they were and possibly contributed to the ride.

Not a fan of the CVT transmission though. It got the job done, but it seemed to lack torque low down until you got the revs up. That could explain the fuel economy. But once at highway speed it cruised effortlessly. I did 150km's of highway driving before I worked out how to switch on the cruise control. The steering wheel has the cruise speed +/- on the left and "R" and "O" on the right. I looked everywhere for the cruise control button on the wheel and the control stalks but couldnt find it while I was driving. It was only when I stopped once the sun had come up that I found the switch on the centre console...

The leather interior was nice and comfortable - no issues with the seats after spending 6 hrs sitting in the drivers seat in 1 day. I'm only 5'6" so not sure how taller folk will go. Didn't sit in the back so can't comment on room back there either.

I'm very impressed with the R-Link info/entertainment system! 7" touchscreen was nice, menus were easy to follow and the navigation was the best I have used so far (compared to VW and Mercedes). The voice was British and referred to motorways but I could live with that. Not sure about the phone connectivity - I tried to answer a couple of calls after I had connected it with Bluetooth but I think it just answered the phone in my pocket and didn't broadcast the call through the speakers. The Koleos also had a blind spot warning system, but I never noticed it

The sound system was excellent while listening to the radio - as you would hope with the Koleos being the "Bose" edition. Nice clear sound even when we pumped it up a bit. Couldn't find anything with a lot of bass to test it out, but everything else seemed nice and punchy.

Boot seemed decent in size but we didn't load it up. The split tailgate is nice and works well, however I'm a bit wary of it as it just means another moving part that could go wrong.

All in all it was a nice for what it is - a SUV. Not sure how it would go fully loaded as there was only 2 of us in the car and a couple of backpacks. But I'm not a fan of SUV's - I like going around corners quickly and don't have a family yet. For me, I would be love a 5 door RS Megane 225 or one of the new Megane GT wagons for the combination of fun and practicality.
    1998 N5 306 XSi

Thread Information