Megane Issues Update
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By biologist

Thread: Megane Issues Update

Default Megane Issues Update

A number of you would be aware that several years ago my wife and I had purchased two identical 2L Megane auto Sedans.

Well its been a while and we've had some "issues" and I thought I would pass on our experiences aka outcomes.

Both cars have the four speed auto, tiptronic setup. I don't like the way it works myself, it holds gears to long often under trailing throttle when all you want to happen if for the car to change up and quieten down a bit....

Both cars have had leccy window winders break. 2 in each car. Only made of a relatively soft plastic they were never made to last. Annoying, at $350 each to repair....
    That some swine would then break a front window and steal my GPS a few weeks later with that windows brand new winder letting go not long after didn't make me feel any better.

Both cars have also had coil packs fail, two in my gray car and one in the red car. It certainly didn't help that the mechanic that diagnosed the initial coilpack failure wasn't aware (and neither was I) that the cylinders in the renaults number 1 to 4 from the flywheel, unlike every other car I've owned. SO I replaced the wrong coilpacks and wondered why the problem continued... Resolved after talking to a proper renault mechanic.

Then about a year ago my gray sedan started to shift into limp mode, always first thing in the morning about 500m down the road from home, locked in first gear with a "check gearbox" text warning on the dash... After a discussion with my mechanic and determining this was probably a sodding $1500 fix, so we traded the car and bought a new car (brand and model shall remain nameless) for my wife. I got to drive her red megane.

The reason I got the red megane was that this car had a curious and very irregular fault. Every now and then it would just loose power and roll to the side of the road, and as my wife was always driving it at the time I could never work out what the problem was. After taking over the car it took a few months but eventually with the advent of summer (it was worse in summer) it started to occasionally loose power, often on uphill left hand corners... yes, very weird, but it was the same two or three corners and at its worst stopped me there every day on the way home. I had to coast to a halt, stop the engine and restart it before I could drive away.

This fault drove me mad. There were no engine faults registering. The car ran fine the rest of the time except it used a little more fuel than the grey megane (7.3 versus 7.9 L/100km), go around an uphill left hand corner, or at times just on a straight road and putt, putt, putt, roll to a stop.... Engine idles, but no power, no revs, nothing.
    Engine off
    Restart engine,
    Drive away....

Advertisement

It was nuts. Eventually we decided to try and change the top oxygen sensor as several megane owners in the UK had described a similar problem and it was the sensor. When the intake manifold was removed the mechanic found around a half a litre of oil in there...

Turns out that the PCV valve was stuck wide open and crankcase oil was collecting in the manifold, and yes, you guessed in, it then poured into the cylinder heads when you took a left hand uphill corner... The engine senses the oil in the air fuel mix and its pollution sensibilities kicks in turning off the power. Nothing wrong with the car at all, just doing what its meant to do.

We've not yet replaced the PCV valve but with the oil removed the car is back to top form, using less fuel and hoicks along better than when we first got it. I'll replace the PCV valve in a few weeks and am looking to keep the megane now rather than replace it. But it was a close run thing, if we'd not had to remove the manifold to get at the sensor then its highly unlikely we'd have ever worked out there was a problem with so much oil in there courtesy of a bunky PCV valve.

So, one megane gone, the other remains on a good behaviour bound

cheers,
    renaultmark and Fordman like this.
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Can I ask what Model and year the Meganes were.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Can I ask what Model and year the Meganes were.

Phil
    2007 and 2008 Megane sedans, no idea what model number, both were identical, apart from colour with 2L F4R motors.
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Biologist, good to hear from you.

I'm still pee'd off that you sold your Spider without asking me! Just joking, I don't think I would have been able to afford it - had to buy a WRX instead off my son - that's my retirement toy, and I love it!

We still have the Scenic series I, and like yours it is on a good behaviour bond (I like that). And probably for the same reason, the auto trans (same as yours I think - the DPO - but without the sport shift). Really, when people tell me I just have to get used to the way it changes, and it really is a good transmission, I just have to bite my tongue. I have recently had a solenoid replaced, fluid changed, and new selector switch, happy to pay the money as we intend to keep the car probably until it dies, my wife loves it for all the good reasons that the Scenic is famous for, but she got a bit sick of the procedure of stopping to clear the limp-home mode when it got to happening almost every day. Now it is back to reasonably "normal" allowing that it is 11 years old and just over 100k kms (still looks like new). Occasionally has a shuddery change when hot, which I feel may be the fluid spec - it has the correct ELF D3 ATF - but I am not going to spend more money looking for a possibly non-existent problem.

I recently took it for a drive on the highway to give it a bit of full throttle which it doesn't usually get - just to help "educate" the throttle and electronics as to the full throttle position (Italian tune-up). Anyway, that lag in the gears, after kickdown to 3rd at about 80km/hr then backing off, it hangs for about 5 seconds before dropping back into top gear - its just crazy. And like you, it really annoys me when it won't change up on a descent when it is well past the time that it should.

Other than that, the car is good. No issues yet with window winders or coils so we may be lucky there. Other than regular home maintenance, tyres, batteries, and the occasional TDC sensor clean, its given a good run. But it is a fairly low km car, less than 10,000 kms per year.

I am not going to say it is confined to Renault, as I have experienced this with other makes (including my namesake), but isn't it remarkable that manufacturers don't seem to react to ongoing known problems and just fix them? The fact that your late model Meganes have EXACTLY the same problems as the earlier models (windows, coils, auto trans) is just inconceivable to me.

And an interesting diagnosis with your oil in manifold problem. At least that seems solveable now.

Good luck

Chris M.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Hi Chris,

Yes, the Spider was an extravagance I just couldn't justify, and still couldn't. One day I'll get another toy

The Megane has done over 115,000 km and the engine is still very strong. If it was a five speed box it would be so much nicer to drive around the hills, but its my work commuter and the slush box does provide me with a relatively easier commute every day along Great Eastern Highway with the stop start traffic and all the lights. So mustn't grumble.

cheers,
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Thread Information