Renault 16 Appreciation Thread - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Renault 16 Appreciation Thread

Totally agree Simon. They'd reap quite a benefit, like M-B and BMW, and I suspect the VW group. It would add quite a bit of sales support through die-hards like us!

R16 key parts are being remade a bit through the Dutch folk, as you'd know.

Bullet-proof camshafts and followers would be a good idea....

Cheers

John

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thought id add my new 16TS...bought on ebay for $1469...what a bargain and drives well
    ....In the locked glovebox was the original owners manual and handbook !!! yee ha
    plus the 5000 km service receipt and other receipts from Virage motora as well as golden fleece motors
    The original owner was Nicholas Contanedes of 19 peel st Collingwood,car bought from Renault at 449 punt rd,richmond 10th nov 1970
    reg being KTB 912...the original sales receipt says list price as $2930 plus $120 for reg,third party ins,stamp duty and pre delivery plus a locking petrol cap for $2.42 making $3050 less house discount of $380 paying $2670...green and bone being original combo.
    on the 6/4/1974 Nicolas sold the car to George Dimitriou of 46 gore st Fitzroy and I have the RWC from then...George then owned the car until his death...last service being 2005 at citro but even in 2018 the car still has 2000 miles to go before being due for it's next service...lol
    It is beginning to look like the miles are original and not around the clock..
    the car is just lovely to drive....just the tacho,heater and oil leak to sort...plus anything the RWC test shows up
    I'm starting a list of bits I'm after and they are
    rear view mirror..faded
    new headlights as my reflectors are faded
    spotlights..faded reflectors
    heater knob
    16TS badge located on the dash needs a chrome look surround
    working cig lighter
    some outside chrome trim...some of mine are damaged
    Renault 16 Appreciation Thread-img_2952.jpgRenault 16 Appreciation Thread-img_2938.jpg
    CXVingtCinq likes this.
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

I have followed your purchase with interest and am very impressed with your buy. Especially with the great "bonus cash back deal" of the gold coins in the glove box..! Hardly Normal would be proud of of that one... Deal of the century..

Seriously, it looks to be a fantastic car. I also have had similar issues with mine which I purchased late last year. It had stood in a shed for 15 years and although the low mileage means lots of gear is in good condition, there are a lot of rubber seals etc perished or parts seized up. And the rear brakes were seized and part rusted so new wheel cylinders (thanks to Mike Newman) and general overhaul of brakes has been done. I also have a refurbishment job ahead on the heater tap control under the dash (seized). It also needed a good bleed of the coolant system to get all the air out. Previous owner had just tried to open and "bleed" air from the radiator cap and overflow reservoir. Many don't understand the physics of having the head & heater higher than the radiator so the air naturally rises up there. I also need a cigarette lighter and some chrome trim.

So keep us posted with pics of the progress. Good luck and enjoy the best economical luxury car going around....

Renault 16 Appreciation Thread-img_1125.jpg Renault 16 Appreciation Thread-coolant-bleed.jpg
    Last edited by CXVingtCinq; 23rd May 2018 at 11:13 AM.
    dogboy likes this.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current -
    1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

I see the R16 made the list of "significant cars" in the latest edition of Wheels mag...
    Sunroof, CXVingtCinq and dogboy like this.
    1969 Alpine A110

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by CXVingtCinq View Post
    I have followed your purchase with interest and am very impressed with your buy. Especially with the great "bonus cash back deal" of the gold coins in the glove box..! Hardly Normal would be proud of of that one... Deal of the century..

Seriously, it looks to be a fantastic car. I also have had similar issues with mine which I purchased late last year. It had stood in a shed for 15 years and although the low mileage means lots of gear is in good condition, there are a lot of rubber seals etc perished or parts seized up. And the rear brakes were seized and part rusted so new wheel cylinders (thanks to Mike Newman) and general overhaul of brakes has been done. I also have a refurbishment job ahead on the heater tap control under the dash (seized). It also needed a good bleed of the coolant system to get all the air out. Previous owner had just tried to open and "bleed" air from the radiator cap and overflow reservoir. Many don't understand the physics of having the head & heater higher than the radiator so the air naturally rises up there. I also need a cigarette lighter and some chrome trim.

So keep us posted with pics of the progress. Good luck and enjoy the best economical luxury car going around....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	106187 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coolant bleed.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	106188
    My 76 TS is the same color and when I bought it from a friend about 8 years ago it had been stored in a shed for 12 years, but well looked after. I regularly get stopped in the street or at car shows by people who had one or knew one in the past. They usually say it was the best car they ever had. Considering it is over 40 years old now I must agree. I use mine as a second car and can't remember when I saw another one on the road around Adelaide.
    Don
    CXVingtCinq and dogboy like this.
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2938.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	106185
    It's still got the Protected by Electrophoresis sticker too.
    dogboy likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It's still got the Protected by Electrophoresis sticker too.
    Well that's one car on which the Electrophoresis might have worked.
    There are many an R16 and R12 that have met god due to poorly applied Electrophoresis treatment.
    dogboy likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    There are many an R16 and R12 that have met god due to poorly applied Electrophoresis treatment.
    There were many vehicles from the Heidelberg plant sabotaged by employees leaving coca cola cans with some remaining contents in doors and other cute places whilst the bodies were in bare metal finish and prior to their being dipped. Ask me how I know? I was told by several employees working on the high line opposite the body shop that it was a common occurrence. Alas, Electrophoresis couldn't defeat Coke.
    dogboy likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

For whatever reason, I recall that R16s tended to come in two varieties, great and pretty poor.
    Some seemed quite immune to rust. Some just went beautifully. "Back in the day" I usually sussed them out with one drive around the block and one quick rust inspection. Good ones were quickly acquired...

They deserve recognition in the History of Cars.
    JohnW and dogboy like this.
    Once upon a time:

Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.

GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    D Special 1974
    Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    1986 2CV6
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

And now:

C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    DS23 1973 Pallas

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN View Post
    We have probably been here before on Aussiefrogs but electrophoresis repeats don't matter I reckon.

My understanding, quite a few years back, was that on some cars the electrophoresis process was overdone and instead of just avoiding too thin a paint coat on the corners, it ended up with too THIN a coat on the panel surfaces. The bad ones, R12s particularly, rusted outrageously. Both our 16TS cars were pretty good.

RTT is quite correct, alas.
    dogboy likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I had a R16TS that was pretty bad rust wise.
    But I also had an R16TL that was good so it was probably pure luck whether you got a good'un.
    But even the rusty ones was a good car to drive, column change and all.
    (Didn't like the handbrake near the right knee though, just felt wrong).
    dogboy likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread Information