How to hot up a 1980 Sierra motor?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default How to hot up a 1980 Sierra motor?

Have a 688-E-7-13 1108cc with Zenith 32IF7. My Gordini friend calls it 'anaemic' the 'granny goes shopping' setup. Ex-1980 R5TL, now in Hudson Kindred Spirit three-wheeler English kit car. Can someone advise, perhaps has parts to sell, better carb & inlet & exhaust manifold combination? Limited space, so ideally the carb will be side-draught & the exhaust manifold vent to the front similar to original.

Advertisement

You can certainly do some things with a cam, 8 port head, and sidedraft DCOE Weber or dellorto (lynx manifolds seem to have been available in NZ), but have you thought about sticking in even a standard 1289 or 1397 engine out of an R12 (or some R5's).

I've found even a bog standard engine will make more torque and possibly power than a hotted up 1108, and be a much more pleasant car to drive.

If you wanted to stay 1108, then consider looking for R10S parts - head, cam, carby and exhaust manifold. But be aware, not a lot of these parts are easy to come by these days.

There's a few NZ based guys on here that may be able to advise you on your path to more power with specific NZ based supplier contacts maybe.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by rivermouth View Post
    Have a 688-E-7-13 1108cc with Zenith 32IF7. My Gordini friend calls it 'anaemic' the 'granny goes shopping' setup. Ex-1980 R5TL, now in Hudson Kindred Spirit three-wheeler English kit car. Can someone advise, perhaps has parts to sell, better carb & inlet & exhaust manifold combination? Limited space, so ideally the carb will be side-draught & the exhaust manifold vent to the front similar to original.
    Welcome to Aussiefrogs! There are plenty of options. You have folk with some great skills with Sierra motors in New Zealand, and one of them might see your post. Whereabouts are you?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Hi
    My memory of the good ol'days playing with those motors, is very positive. They respond very well to the usual old methods. Depends on what you want and how deep the pockets are too
    However the usual route is a medium cam to lift the rev range, and feel sporty, a bigger carby, and a free flow exhaust. This can be done without working on the head and will no doubt please you. There is more if you wish to go there, as Renault8&10 said. These motors can be thrashed without any worry
    Jaahn

Tadpole

Thanks John! Yes, I'm just getting to know some Renault folk here- Ross Webster, Rhys Nolan & Frans Cronje, and they seem amused by the Hudson Kindred Spirit. Have you heard of any in Australia? I live on the Manukau peninsula, beside the harbour, half-hour north of Waiuku. 80 minutes to Auckland. Splendid sports motoring roads out here!

Tadpole

Thanks KB, John & Jaahn for your encouraging responses! Richard

Thread Information