For the R8 Fans
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: For the R8 Fans

Default For the R8 Fans

Post your R8 pics here......For the R8 Fans-image.jpgFor the R8 Fans-image.jpgFor the R8 Fans-image.jpgFor the R8 Fans-image.jpgFor the R8 Fans-image.jpg

Advertisement
    potentz, J-man, R10S FAN and 2 others like this.
    KB

1000+ Posts

A few of the more unusual features of my R8 (bought new in 1966). I think that each has appeared in some thread or other but they're collected here.

- I live in the rural fringes of Launceston & my local "C" road drives make a "wallaby bar" a good idea (although the exhaust noise acts well as a "shoo roo"). One design issue was maintaining the access to the spare.
    I also travel those roads at night &, despite thinking the R8's lighting not at all bad (especially with QI bulbs), driving lights were also a good idea. I could not see how to sensibly mount some Oscars I had (despite much liking them over the 45 years I've used them). The problem is the "sweeping forward & down" bonnet when opened. Solution: combination spread & spot light bar. The black wallaby & light bars led to me experimentally rough spraying the front panel black & then the lower section around the car. I at least, rather like this &, when the car gets its twice delayed respray, I'll keep this feature.

- The R8 now has a warm 1.4 with non-crossflow head. Taking intake air from above a hot exhaust is to be avoided. So, a cold air box. And, optimally, a large one with the air filter at its intake. But there isn't room for this really.
    Solution: "cut & shut" the inner guard.
    The rubber diaphragm panel allows for engine rock. The intake is in the panel beside the radiator (divided from radiator intake by a partition).

- I favour transverse leaf camber compensators as a way of ameliorating the vices of swing axles. Used since the seventies in various forms of this R8 & my 4CV.

- I also recommend reinforcing any wide steel wheel conversions that retain the weak R8/R10 centres by welding on a "spacer" ring cut from 5 mm plate. This prevents stress cracking around the stud holes & provides new, non-oval, holes. (Un-necessary on the better designed R16 centres incidentally.)

For the R8 Fans-bars.jpgFor the R8 Fans-img_1721.jpgFor the R8 Fans-p1030186.jpgFor the R8 Fans-p1030184.jpgFor the R8 Fans-edging-photo.jpg

cheers, Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 31st May 2015 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks Peter. Very interesting modifications. I have stuck with the 1289cc, 1.4 cam and twin throat downdraft weber carb. Modest improvement but still looking very much like the original engine mainly for historic rego purposes. She breaths through the normal R8 inlet system as seen by the attached photos.
    Cheers
    Phil

For the R8 Fans-dscf0658.jpg
    Kram and J-man like this.

Bravo KB

Here's a flash hottie worthy of an appearance

For the R8 Fans-r8%2520flared%2520guards.jpgFor the R8 Fans-green-hot-8-rr-eng..jpgFor the R8 Fans-green-hot-8-gear-stick.jpgFor the R8 Fans-green-hot-8-under-rear.jpgFor the R8 Fans-green-hot-8-trunk.jpg
    Sunroof and potentz like this.
    cheers,

John

For the R8 Fans-r8-1974-flinders-sml.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    Bravo KB Here's a flash hottie worthy of an appearance
    Here's the mundane end of town.... Never restored, just used and maintained. Some of you may have seen one of these before. She looks the same now, 40 years later, but the new paint isn't as faded as she was when ten years old!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For the R8 Fans-lunch-stop-victoria.jpg   For the R8 Fans-dead-horse-pass-vsml.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Where did you find the snow John...?

[QUOTE=59 Floride;1357020]Where did you find the snow John...?

Dead Horse Pass if I recall correctly, in the Snowy Mountains. We lived in Adelaide then. That was a trip round the coast all the way to Eden and then back through the Snowies. It was the first long trip in the R8. Didn't miss a beat of course....
    Last edited by JohnW; 1st June 2015 at 08:38 PM.
    Damien Gardner likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

John,yours must be the most widely travelled r8 in australia. Love your r8 journey!

Cheers brian
    59 Floride, J-man and Sunroof like this.

This is My addiction!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For the R8 Fans-20150526_100643.jpg   For the R8 Fans-20150526_100631.jpg   For the R8 Fans-20150526_100726.jpg   For the R8 Fans-20150525_132916.jpg  
    JohnW, J-man, R10S FAN and 2 others like this.

Most kind! Given the slightest encouragement....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For the R8 Fans-near-nullarbor-small.jpg  
    J-man and Sunroof like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Now we are on a roll. Come on all you R8 owners out there, ''shows us ya beasts'' !!

I call this one 'LEADER OF THE PACK'

For the R8 Fans-a59-r8-leading-charge.jpgFor the R8 Fans-a58-r8-leading-carge-2.jpg
    Sunroof and potentz like this.

Excellent Phil! A Cadillac Eldorado in Tatiara? Wow.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

A few more from my private collection:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For the R8 Fans-image.jpg   For the R8 Fans-image.jpg   For the R8 Fans-image.jpg   For the R8 Fans-image.jpg   For the R8 Fans-image.jpg  
    J-man and David Cavanagh like this.
    KB

Tadpole

Hello Potentz,

Where did you get those inlet manifolds to fit two SD's onto what we refer to as a narrow head.

I am prepping a R8 to race in the ZA historics and want to fit two 40 SD Webers on a narrow head and short of manufacturing my own inlet manifold, I have heard that there is a Datsun one, with modification, that can work.

'Till later,

Arthur.

Any twin DCOE setup on a "wedge head" would be a custom setup - here's mine:

The Datsun one referred to used to be available from an Australian supplier but I think they have now closed down. The Datsun 1200 and later Sunny vehicles had 1200 and 1400 versions of an engine known as the A series hence A12 A14. I've heard it is the A14 version that they did the twin manifold for. It requires some modification to the manifold and head to fit but can be made to work including welding or glue a length of aluminium block or two onto the top of the head to be drilled and tapped as two of the manifold mounts. There have been threads on here by a ex SA now Kiwi based with the username Frans, who has done and documented this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For the R8 Fans-image.jpg   For the R8 Fans-image.jpg   For the R8 Fans-image.jpg  
    David Cavanagh and J-man like this.
    KB

Tadpole
    J-man, David Cavanagh and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by On the Edge View Post
    Hello Potentz,

Where did you get those inlet manifolds to fit two SD's onto what we refer to as a narrow head.

I am prepping a R8 to race in the ZA historics and want to fit two 40 SD Webers on a narrow head and short of manufacturing my own inlet manifold, I have heard that there is a Datsun one, with modification, that can work.

'Till later,

Arthur.
    hi arthur,dont want to hijack the thread here. the manifold is a redline datto 1200 sss. easily adapted to r9 or r11 head. i would presume harder to do on a r8 or r10 head due to the inlet ports being much closer together. available in australia.

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by potentz View Post
    hi arthur,dont want to hijack the thread here. the manifold is a redline datto 1200 sss. easily adapted to r9 or r11 head. i would presume harder to do on a r8 or r10 head due to the inlet ports being much closer together. available in australia.

PM sent
    It's "MY" thread - Hijack away since it is R8 related in terms of your mods!
    JohnW and J-man like this.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Most kind! Given the slightest encouragement....
    Despite no more encouragement....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For the R8 Fans-madura-pass-r8s-sml.jpg  
    Kim Luck, Sunroof, J-man and 1 others like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Go on, post away John. Is that on the way to the muster in junee?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Go on, post away John. Is that on the way to the muster in junee?
    Yes, 2013 with Syd Middleton's R8 1100 on his first attempt.
    Renault Tragic likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Cant resist.
    If anybody out there knows where this little beauty is please give me a hoy!! It was my first love.

Cheers Phil

For the R8 Fans-0076.jpgFor the R8 Fans-0077.jpgFor the R8 Fans-0078.jpgFor the R8 Fans-0079.jpgFor the R8 Fans-0080.jpg
    R10S FAN and J-man like this.

There used to be an old guy who lived in toongabbie (bordering on girraween) that used to drive one remarkably similar to that. Lived on toongabbie rd from memory. I used to see it around quite a bit. Used to be a customer of Renauli's when they further up the same rd closer to the highway. The guy owned it for years and years but I moved away from the area and lost contact with it and him.
    KB

There used to be an old guy who lived in toongabbie (bordering on girraween) that used to drive one remarkably similar to that. Lived on toongabbie rd from memory. I used to see it around quite a bit. Used to be a customer of Renauli's when they further up the same rd closer to the highway. The guy owned it for years and years but I moved away from the area and lost contact with it and him.
    Thanks KB I'll do a close Google Map search of Toongabbie Rd you never know what might be in the photos.

Phil

Tadpole

Default For the R8 Fans

Any twin DCOE setup on a "wedge head" would be a custom setup - here's mine:

The Datsun one referred to used to be available from an Australian supplier but I think they have now closed down. The Datsun 1200 and later Sunny vehicles had 1200 and 1400 versions of an engine known as the A series hence A12 A14. I've heard it is the A14 version that they did the twin manifold for. It requires some modification to the manifold and head to fit but can be made to work including welding or glue a length of aluminium block or two onto the top of the head to be drilled and tapped as two of the manifold mounts. There have been threads on here by a ex SA now Kiwi based with the username Frans, who has done and documented this

Very impressive, may I place my order .
    How long will the chrome finish last and does it not create an in engine bay heat problem as I see you are using the standard cooling system set up.
    I am still a way from posting any pics as the rebuild and race prep is taking longer than anticipated, given I own & run a 6 days a week business and without it there can never be grown up's toys.

'Till later

Arthur.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

Thread Information