Clio 1.4/1.6 16v cam belt change. Special tools?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dalderton

Thread: Clio 1.4/1.6 16v cam belt change. Special tools?

Administrator

Default Clio 1.4/1.6 16v cam belt change. Special tools?

I'm about to put a 16v motor into my tightarse R12. The bellhousing is a straight bolt up and I'm hoping the clutch is a close match, with perhaps a different plate.

I haven't picked up the motor yet, but while the motor is on the floor, I want to change the cam belt and idlers.

Do you need any special tools to change the belt? I know the F4R needs a special tool to lock the cams and seem to remember the same for the smaller engine.

Advertisement

Is there another way to do it?

There is a cam locking tool, the full kit is here: Renault Timing Locking Setting Tool KIt Clio Laguna Megane 1.4 1.6 16v | eBay

Could you sell it for $50 after using it? That way it would be a $50-odd expense for the privilege...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    There is a cam locking tool, the full kit is here: Renault Timing Locking Setting Tool KIt Clio Laguna Megane 1.4 1.6 16v | eBay

Could you sell it for $50 after using it? That way it would be a $50-odd expense for the privilege...
    Thanks addo. Yeah, I was hoping with the engine out and more space, I might be able to lock the pulleys with something else. I'll have a good look when I get the engine.

I think I have to send the Clio ecu to the UK to get the immobiliser removed. Does anyone do it in Australia?

There was a mob near Parramatta who could have the tech, they are not exactly a conspicuous business as their talents include "clocking" for the Krautwagens. Gumtree may turn them up. I'd personally go with someone repeatedly recommended in a forum like 205 Drivers.

Fellow Frogger!

It is fairly easy to make the pieces to lock the cams and crank they consist of a plate with two tags on it to fit in a slot in the end of the cams and a pin to screw into the block and locate with the crank. Google it and with a bit of looking you will find the specs. Main thing to remember is that the crank cam belt pulley is not keyed and is not an interference fit on the crank i,e it will pull off or rotate on the crank easily.
    Regards Dennis.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by dalderton View Post
    Main thing to remember is that the crank cam belt pulley is not keyed and is not an interference fit on the crank i,e it will pull off or rotate on the crank easily.
    How does it locate? Just a big bolt on the front that locks it on a taper?

No taper, just friction!

Clamping pressure is pretty massive when the bolts are torqued down.

Fellow Frogger!

I'm interested to see how this transplant goes as I'm considering the K4M (1.6) for my R10 if I ever finish my shed.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    No taper, just friction!

Clamping pressure is pretty massive when the bolts are torqued down.
    Wow. Remind me to loctite that one...

Fellow Frogger!

Has any progress been made on this transplant?

Hi , I would be surprised if you could get the heat treatment right if you made your own tooling and I would not trust it when 16 valves could be lost . I sell a kit that fits the 1.4,1.6 and 2lt engines . Contact me at Qualitool , Geelong 03 52218915 . A modern engine in a R12 could be a treat . The original pushrod motor did a fantastic job .

I have just done the cam belt on my F4R which has a similar keyless crankshaft. Yes it is kept in place by friction only, so clean surfaces are paramount. Please note a new crankshaft bolt (about $25!!) is ESSENTIAL as it is stretched in tightening. Final torque is not specified; only tightening of 120 to 150 degrees beyond the initial 40NM required to allow the motor to be rotated during the setting of the cam belt adjuster. Get it right first time or you will be up for another bolt!

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    I'm about to put a 16v motor into my tightarse R12. The bellhousing is a straight bolt up and I'm hoping the clutch is a close match, with perhaps a different plate.

I haven't picked up the motor yet, but while the motor is on the floor, I want to change the cam belt and idlers.

Do you need any special tools to change the belt? I know the F4R needs a special tool to lock the cams and seem to remember the same for the smaller engine.

Is there another way to do it?
    We've got the tool if you need it.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!

What bell housing do you need for this transplant?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c.lees View Post
    Has any proggress been made on this transplant?
    No I'm going with a Fuego engine and gear box instead. I have a fresh one sitting on the stand so I may as well make the most of it...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by mistareno View Post
    No I'm going with a Fuego engine and gear box instead. I have a fresh one sitting on the stand so I may as well make the most of it...
    I hoping you'd start it so I knew what was needed bell housing and input shaft wise.

Does anyone know what is required? I've been told by swmbo that I can get a pranged Clio for parts if I offload an engine I have (I have three)

The 1.4 and 1.6 Clio engines bolt straight up to the R12 bellhousing but not sure about clutch and input shaft yet. No ones got that far yet.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Fellow Frogger!

That's what I thought. I was hoping it would be an R16 bell housing as the clutch release is much more sturdy. I found this thread FORUM Meca ? Afficher le sujet - [ Alpiren ] Alpine A110/ k4m K4M into an A110. He used an R18 flywheel and clutch and in one of the pics it looks like an R16 bell housing.

I spoke to an engineer about it and its perfectly street legal even with standard brakes as long as the weight doesn't increase too much.

That's interesting. Does look like a R18 doesn't it.

All we did was test fit a R12 bellhousing onto a 1.4 Clio and it lined up perfectly, even the starter fitted in all nice and happy.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Fellow Frogger!

How much would a K4M cost from a wrecker? I'd also need the ECU and the loom to get me started.

I may be looking at a 2003 Clio II tomorrow that has a K4M in it as a donor. Unregistered, smashed tail light and dented rear end. It has nice wheels so I figured I could off load the rest of it to recoup some money.

If the Clio has a decent bonnet and uncracked windscreen I may be interested in taking the rolling body. PM if a possibility.

Thread Information