Want an Alpine or 2?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By pug206gti
  • 1 Post By Ove

Thread: Want an Alpine or 2?

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    125

    Default Want an Alpine or 2?

    Sad to see this, I'm sure there's people chasing some of the vehicles up including the Alpines ...

    An Unfortunate Collection of Abandoned Race Cars ? 95 Customs

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts geckoeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    Hi Kram,
    The Alpines are part of the derelict collection of Mr. Gomber (?) up in the hills from Montpellier in France. I went there in 2004 with a French friend. The man is a recluse and a bit of a nut case. He brags about how he has collected the cars, but does no restoration or servicing to make them go, they just get stored in the yard or some of the sheds he has in the yard.

    There were about 10-12 A110 in a state of disrepair and nothing was complete. There were 3 V6 A310s, one had the entire roof cut off and turned upside down in the car. And there were a few R8G very derelict at the back of one shed, and a very nice car in the shed with the motor and gearbox out.

    I left there very depressed that day.

    Take care,
    Ray
    addo likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

    Think Old, But Run Modern !!

  3. #3
    the famous 18E pug206gti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    11,055

    Icon6

    G'day,
    yes, depressing, but...



    from

    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/hum...cs-thread.html
    Dano likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.


    206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?








  4. #4
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    It's more or less the owner's prerogative to do as they please with a car, I have come to accept this and no longer get annoyed about it.

    When an acquaintance's ad-hoc collection was invaded by strangers with cameras and the resultant images spread all over a car enthusiast website (and thenceupon everyone loftily opined what a terrible "waste" it all was), I was aghast.

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts lion5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,664

    Default

    this happens in all areas of life, better in someone's yard than a crushers... or being used in a stupid pop-'physics' video to show the impact of raising a car 40 metres high to see what happens when you let go. Though at the same time it's much better giving it to someone that both has the initiative and financing behind it.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts geckoeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,621

    Default

    The Rotting Collection on Death Row | The Car Build Index

    Just Google Gerard Gombert, and go into the picture collection, and follow the links to the first 20 or so pictures.

    I found the man when I was googleing and came on a site of a photographer who had a section on derelict cars. And I contacted him and he gave me the address and phone number of Gerard Gombert. And when I was at Lemans 24 bumped into a friend who ran race cars and we had met at a Fia sports car meeting at Monza and found out each liked Renault Alpines. As I had a few days leave after Lemans we decided to go to Montpellier to see if we could find the derelict cars. And so the story started.

    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

    Think Old, But Run Modern !!

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,718

    Default

    This sounds like the same collection that was the topic of an Autocar article some years ago. One claim in that article was that the owner's will stipulated that, upon his death, the cars were all to be destroyed.

    Peter

  8. #8
    VIP Sponsor David Cavanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Romsey, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    This sounds like the same collection that was the topic of an Autocar article some years ago. One claim in that article was that the owner's will stipulated that, upon his death, the cars were all to be destroyed.

    Peter
    I don't get why you'd be selfish enough to want them destroyed. I know plenty of people who collect old cars and never do anything with them but I can't imagine anyone wanting them destroyed.

    Usually they collect them to stop them being destroyed.
    David Cavanagh

    FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

    03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

    34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042


    [email protected]

    https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I don't get why you'd be selfish enough to want them destroyed. <snip>.
    I haven't ruled out insanity!

    Peter

  10. #10
    Ove
    Ove is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    The Rotting Collection on Death Row | The Car Build Index

    Just Google Gerard Gombert, and go into the picture collection, and follow the links to the first 20 or so pictures.

    I found the man when I was googleing and came on a site of a photographer who had a section on derelict cars. And I contacted him and he gave me the address and phone number of Gerard Gombert. And when I was at Lemans 24 bumped into a friend who ran race cars and we had met at a Fia sports car meeting at Monza and found out each liked Renault Alpines. As I had a few days leave after Lemans we decided to go to Montpellier to see if we could find the derelict cars. And so the story started.

    Ray
    Hi,

    that's close to Fayence. From your point of view it might be close to Montpellier but there are still 300kms to go.
    The 'very nice car' is an A210 a Le Mans prototype from 1965, the red one close to it is an A108 Interlagos a brazilian licence-product.

    Cheers

    Ove
    addo likes this.

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post

    I left there very depressed that day.
    Actually Australian Farmers are notorious for it as well, one farm just outside of Ipswich has piles of rare stuff.

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boonah Qld
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    One farm just outside of Ipswich has piles of rare stuff.
    Renault rare. Or just other rare stuff.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    This sounds like the same collection that was the topic of an Autocar article some years ago. One claim in that article was that the owner's will stipulated that, upon his death, the cars were all to be destroyed.

    Peter
    which may not be an enforceable term of a will. i doubt it would be here. so there is hope yet.

    -----------------------
    that aside, it is amazing how that northern hemisphere weather destroys cars!
    the combination of leaves from deciduous trees, and the harsh winters is a killer.
    Last edited by alexander; 5th May 2015 at 05:39 PM.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    The Rotting Collection on Death Row | The Car Build Index


    this is just trivia but i note that while the story says this:

    One of the many crown jewels is a Renault Alpine A210 that he won his class with at the 1968 Le Mans, still wearing its victory wreath on its roof
    he doesnt appear in this list of A210 Le Mans results:
    Alpine A210 ? Wikipedia

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger! keith mcelroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    ballarat
    Posts
    249

    Default Don't Panic Yet

    from a google search

    http://www.ferrarichat.com/...com......ercar-396.html

    Originally Posted by kc023515 View Post
    There are a lot of stories about Gombert and his collection. One of them is that Gombert aka “La Gombe” has mentioned in his will that all his cars must be scrapped after his death. Did he tell you something about that or can we classify that as BS ?
    It's pure BS. Many years ago, Gérard Gombert or "La Gombe" lived with a nice woman. They didn't have any children, after separating she made her life with an Australian, she got a son. This young man is 30 years old and don't care about cars. "La Gombe" with 72 years old is very kind to the son he never got... So, 120 cars will have to be sold after his death, if not before due to a "Prefecture" law about cars scraps & cimetery (fuel, batteries, oil must be out of the cars in order to protect soil, ground from pollution).

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    11,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keith mcelroy View Post
    , if not before due to a "Prefecture" law about cars scraps & cimetery (fuel, batteries, oil must be out of the cars in order to protect soil, ground from pollution).
    that is in fact an EU wide law, i believe. i gather that cars are not supposed to be left standing on soil at all. the extent to which it is or will be enforced is another matter.

    personally, i would imagine the bit about the will is folklore; it would be very unusual thing, for someone to start blabbing about such details of their will. not impossible, but unlikely.

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts alan moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland.
    Posts
    1,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Actually Australian Farmers are notorious for it as well, one farm just outside of Ipswich has piles of rare stuff.
    "Scotts Farm?" There is a large collection of "interesting" machinery on about 250 acres, mostly in sheds. There are some Peugeots and many other makes. There are some bikes as well. The siblings are interested in the vehicles, although I don't know how many are in going condition.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    "Scotts Farm?" There is a large collection of "interesting" machinery on about 250 acres, mostly in sheds. There are some Peugeots and many other makes. There are some bikes as well. The siblings are interested in the vehicles, although I don't know how many are in going condition.
    I believe that's it, I have been there and inside the sheds, has a JAP V-Twin in service as an air compressor for example. Near 20 years ago so don't know whats there now besides rust.

  19. #19
    Ove
    Ove is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ove View Post
    Hi, that's close to Fayence. From your point of view it might be close to Montpellier but there are still 300kms to go. The 'very nice car' is an A210 a Le Mans prototype from 1965, the red one close to it is an A108 Interlagos a brazilian licence-product. Cheers Ove
    Meanwhile Gerard Gombert died

    Rest in peace Gerard

    All his stuff was sold in an auction at Fayence
    Here is the bidding on the A210, result 710000€ (!)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5dAh32X7A0

    Jean-Charles Redele (at least his smile and nose) is to be seen righthand in the video.

    Cheers Ove

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,718

    Default

    Does anyone know if Kram is still around? (A PM to him is, as yet, unanswered but that doesn't mean much.)

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts FIVEDOOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brisbane Qld
    Posts
    19,960

    Default

    His profile indicates he was last here 13/7/2916
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! rubyalpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Back to the future!!!!
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts renault8&10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,363

    Default

    I guess he found the flux capacitor.
    KB


  24. #24
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    rosevale/tasmania
    Posts
    2,718

    Default

    Thanks. It's just that at one point he was after an R8 (for his father?) & I was going to apprise him of the Launceston one (I said that I'd let him know when it was available).

    cheers! Peter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •