• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By pug206gti
  • 1 Post By Ove

Thread: Want an Alpine or 2?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Want an Alpine or 2?

Sad to see this, I'm sure there's people chasing some of the vehicles up including the Alpines ...

An Unfortunate Collection of Abandoned Race Cars ? 95 Customs

Advertisement

Hi Kram,
    The Alpines are part of the derelict collection of Mr. Gomber (?) up in the hills from Montpellier in France. I went there in 2004 with a French friend. The man is a recluse and a bit of a nut case. He brags about how he has collected the cars, but does no restoration or servicing to make them go, they just get stored in the yard or some of the sheds he has in the yard.

There were about 10-12 A110 in a state of disrepair and nothing was complete. There were 3 V6 A310s, one had the entire roof cut off and turned upside down in the car. And there were a few R8G very derelict at the back of one shed, and a very nice car in the shed with the motor and gearbox out.

I left there very depressed that day.

Take care,
    Ray
    addo likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Icon6

G'day,
    yes, depressing, but...

from

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/hum...cs-thread.html
    Dano likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

It's more or less the owner's prerogative to do as they please with a car, I have come to accept this and no longer get annoyed about it.

When an acquaintance's ad-hoc collection was invaded by strangers with cameras and the resultant images spread all over a car enthusiast website (and thenceupon everyone loftily opined what a terrible "waste" it all was), I was aghast.

this happens in all areas of life, better in someone's yard than a crushers... or being used in a stupid pop-'physics' video to show the impact of raising a car 40 metres high to see what happens when you let go. Though at the same time it's much better giving it to someone that both has the initiative and financing behind it.

The Rotting Collection on Death Row | The Car Build Index

Just Google Gerard Gombert, and go into the picture collection, and follow the links to the first 20 or so pictures.

I found the man when I was googleing and came on a site of a photographer who had a section on derelict cars. And I contacted him and he gave me the address and phone number of Gerard Gombert. And when I was at Lemans 24 bumped into a friend who ran race cars and we had met at a Fia sports car meeting at Monza and found out each liked Renault Alpines. As I had a few days leave after Lemans we decided to go to Montpellier to see if we could find the derelict cars. And so the story started.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

This sounds like the same collection that was the topic of an Autocar article some years ago. One claim in that article was that the owner's will stipulated that, upon his death, the cars were all to be destroyed.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    This sounds like the same collection that was the topic of an Autocar article some years ago. One claim in that article was that the owner's will stipulated that, upon his death, the cars were all to be destroyed.

Peter
    I don't get why you'd be selfish enough to want them destroyed. I know plenty of people who collect old cars and never do anything with them but I can't imagine anyone wanting them destroyed.

Usually they collect them to stop them being destroyed.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    I don't get why you'd be selfish enough to want them destroyed. <snip>.
    I haven't ruled out insanity!

Peter

Ove

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post

Just Google Gerard Gombert, and go into the picture collection, and follow the links to the first 20 or so pictures.

I found the man when I was googleing and came on a site of a photographer who had a section on derelict cars. And I contacted him and he gave me the address and phone number of Gerard Gombert. And when I was at Lemans 24 bumped into a friend who ran race cars and we had met at a Fia sports car meeting at Monza and found out each liked Renault Alpines. As I had a few days leave after Lemans we decided to go to Montpellier to see if we could find the derelict cars. And so the story started.

Ray
    Hi,

that's close to Fayence. From your point of view it might be close to Montpellier but there are still 300kms to go.
    The 'very nice car' is an A210 a Le Mans prototype from 1965, the red one close to it is an A108 Interlagos a brazilian licence-product.

Cheers

Ove
    addo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post

I left there very depressed that day.
    Actually Australian Farmers are notorious for it as well, one farm just outside of Ipswich has piles of rare stuff.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    One farm just outside of Ipswich has piles of rare stuff.
    Renault rare. Or just other rare stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post

Peter
    which may not be an enforceable term of a will. i doubt it would be here. so there is hope yet.

-----------------------
    that aside, it is amazing how that northern hemisphere weather destroys cars!
    the combination of leaves from deciduous trees, and the harsh winters is a killer.
    Last edited by alexander; 5th May 2015 at 05:39 PM.

Banned

this is just trivia but i note that while the story says this:

One of the many crown jewels is a Renault Alpine A210 that he won his class with at the 1968 Le Mans, still wearing its victory wreath on its roof
    he doesnt appear in this list of A210 Le Mans results:
    Alpine A210 ? Wikipedia

Default Don't Panic Yet

from a google search

http://www.ferrarichat.com/...com......ercar-396.html

Originally Posted by kc023515 View Post
    There are a lot of stories about Gombert and his collection. One of them is that Gombert aka “La Gombe” has mentioned in his will that all his cars must be scrapped after his death. Did he tell you something about that or can we classify that as BS ?
    It's pure BS. Many years ago, Gérard Gombert or "La Gombe" lived with a nice woman. They didn't have any children, after separating she made her life with an Australian, she got a son. This young man is 30 years old and don't care about cars. "La Gombe" with 72 years old is very kind to the son he never got... So, 120 cars will have to be sold after his death, if not before due to a "Prefecture" law about cars scraps & cimetery (fuel, batteries, oil must be out of the cars in order to protect soil, ground from pollution).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by keith mcelroy View Post
    , if not before due to a "Prefecture" law about cars scraps & cimetery (fuel, batteries, oil must be out of the cars in order to protect soil, ground from pollution).
    that is in fact an EU wide law, i believe. i gather that cars are not supposed to be left standing on soil at all. the extent to which it is or will be enforced is another matter.

personally, i would imagine the bit about the will is folklore; it would be very unusual thing, for someone to start blabbing about such details of their will. not impossible, but unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Actually Australian Farmers are notorious for it as well, one farm just outside of Ipswich has piles of rare stuff.
    "Scotts Farm?" There is a large collection of "interesting" machinery on about 250 acres, mostly in sheds. There are some Peugeots and many other makes. There are some bikes as well. The siblings are interested in the vehicles, although I don't know how many are in going condition.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    "Scotts Farm?" There is a large collection of "interesting" machinery on about 250 acres, mostly in sheds. There are some Peugeots and many other makes. There are some bikes as well. The siblings are interested in the vehicles, although I don't know how many are in going condition.
    I believe that's it, I have been there and inside the sheds, has a JAP V-Twin in service as an air compressor for example. Near 20 years ago so don't know whats there now besides rust.

Ove

Quote Originally Posted by Ove View Post
    Hi, that's close to Fayence. From your point of view it might be close to Montpellier but there are still 300kms to go. The 'very nice car' is an A210 a Le Mans prototype from 1965, the red one close to it is an A108 Interlagos a brazilian licence-product. Cheers Ove
    Meanwhile Gerard Gombert died

Rest in peace Gerard

All his stuff was sold in an auction at Fayence
    Here is the bidding on the A210, result 710000€ (!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5dAh32X7A0

Jean-Charles Redele (at least his smile and nose) is to be seen righthand in the video.

Cheers Ove

1000+ Posts

Does anyone know if Kram is still around? (A PM to him is, as yet, unanswered but that doesn't mean much.)

His profile indicates he was last here 13/7/2916
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Back to the future!!!!
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

I guess he found the flux capacitor.
    KB

1000+ Posts

Thanks. It's just that at one point he was after an R8 (for his father?) & I was going to apprise him of the Launceston one (I said that I'd let him know when it was available).

cheers! Peter

Thread Information