New Megane and child proof locks
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: New Megane and child proof locks

Default New Megane and child proof locks

Had my first back seat passenger in the 3 week old Megane wagon yesterday – my 89 year old mother.

There was a moment of near panic at the shopping centre when she couldn’t open the door to alight. Realising the child proof locks must be on, I opened the door from the outside and the crisis was averted.

So… got home, checked the manual and tried to release the child proof lock as illustrated. (same as any other car, actually) This was more difficult than expected, as the little button/lever in each rear door kept returning to the locked position. It was obviously more than just a spring returning it to its locked position as I could hear electronic whirring. So, holding the button/lever in the unlocked position until the whirring sound stopped I managed to outsmart the blighter… or so I thought.

Opening the driver’s door this morning, I was greeted by a message” check child safety function” and the dreaded bright orange spanner warning light. They didn’t disappear after a trip around the block so I reset the child safety lock by shifting the little lever/button in each rear door as per the manual. This had no effect at all on the warning light or the message. And there was no whirring to be heard, so my bowels chilled for a moment as I imagined all sorts of fried electronic gadgetry as a result of my ham fisted meddling.

The manual has nothing to offer regarding that particular message that I could find.

So… time to Google and there were a few hits on Megane + child proof locks. – mostly from the U.K.

Turns out that regardless of what the manual says, the child proof locks are controlled by the button in the driver’s door armrest that I had assumed prevented rear seat passengers from opening their electric windows. (It does that as well).

A press of the switch and the warning light and message have disappeared.

Apart from the fact that the deadlocking function doesn’t work, this is the only hiccup so far, so fingers crossed.

The hiccup is really not with the vehicle but the manual.

Cheers,

pj

Advertisement

UFO

The driver's door button is the same in the Citroen C5X7 and C4 - as I discovered a few years ago when little UFO picked us up from Mascot in the C4 and I was in the back seat. Could not get out of the back without the door being opened for me. Took a while to work that one out too.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Berlioz View Post
    Had my first back seat passenger in the 3 week old Megane wagon yesterday – my 89 year old mother.

pj
    At that age she deserves the front seat!!!

Jo
    2353 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Jo
    I've always preferred the front seat option as well.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post

Jo
    I actually prefer her in the front seat as I'm profoundly deaf and Mother has a voice like a gas leak. The Megane seats are quite "cossetting" though, and she has a bit of trouble getting out over the raised edge of the seat cushion. (She is 4 feet 9 inches tall) So, we thought we'd try the rear seat option; she came home in the front!

pj

1000+ Posts

The Latitude has the same feature and I often bump the switch in the front arm rest inadvertently putting them on. Great feature but rather un protected from mistaken operation.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Berlioz View Post

Apart from the fact that the deadlocking function doesn’t work, this is the only hiccup so far, so fingers crossed.
    The hiccup is really not with the vehicle but the manual.
    Cheers,

pj
    G'day,
    It could have something to do with our ADR's. That function doesn't work on the 18E, although it is mentioned in the manual. From memory, it is to prevent some one being locked inside the car and unable to get out, or outside unable to enter.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti
    G'day,
    It could have something to do with our ADR's. That function doesn't work on the 18E, although it is mentioned in the manual. From memory, it is to prevent some one being locked inside the car and unable to get out, or outside unable to enter.
    With the 206, it was a matter of specifications - the C3 sold at the same time in Oz, had deadlocking. The BSI circuit boards were slightly different; deadlocking cars had one or two extra relays to drive the additional lock motors.

Thread Information