RLink Restricted Map Update Opportunities
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default RLink Restricted Map Update Opportunities

Hi
    I'm new here so please bear with me if I'm covering ground already dealt with otherwise.

Advertisement

I gather from discussions with Renault Aust that the development of the Australian version of RLink and/or an RLink store is on hold and there is uncertainty as to when it will be completed.

In the absence of an Australian RLink store and as Tom Tom map updates can only be sourced for RLink based inbuilt navigation systems through RLink, it seems that map update availability for Australian based Renault RLink customers is redirected to what appears to be a European based RLink store where map update prices (version not mentioned) are quoted in Euros at more than twice the price that the same updates could be sourced locally and directly from Tom Tom, if this option was available.

It may well be that this might just be an unfortunate interim oversight on the part of Renault Australia pending the availability of an Australian based RLink Store where Tom Tom map updates might be sourced through RLink software at prices similar to that otherwise available directly from Tom Tom Home. If otherwise, it might be seen that Renault, in precluding the sourcing of map updates directly from Tom Tom Home and charging an exorbitant price is not being fair to Australian Renault customers with inbuilt systems using Tom Tom navigation.

Until the future of an Australian version of RLink and/or an RLink store is clarified and whilst the availability of Tom Tom map updates remains solely sourced via a European based RLink store I appear destined to have to cope with outdated Tom Tom version 905 of March 2013 as there is no way that I am prepared to pay circa A$205 for each map update under the present circumstances.

Tadpole

Hi, as of last thursday, those that I know of that were having problems, our live services kicked in.
    It has been stable since then and working as expected. We have all had our cars back to dealers, had problem escalated to hightest level within global renault and finally got a result. A working Rlink like it is supposed to.

Live services have had a price drop in the au rlink store, and maps too - although very expensive. Several complaints have been made, so hopefully more price drops at some time.

Hopefully the network connection stays now so we can finally enjoy the car we purchased.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejayeeg View Post
    Hi
    I'm new here so please bear with me if I'm covering ground already dealt with otherwise.

I gather from discussions with Renault Aust that the development of the Australian version of RLink and/or an RLink store is on hold and there is uncertainty as to when it will be completed.

In the absence of an Australian RLink store and as Tom Tom map updates can only be sourced for RLink based inbuilt navigation systems through RLink, it seems that map update availability for Australian based Renault RLink customers is redirected to what appears to be a European based RLink store where map update prices (version not mentioned) are quoted in Euros at more than twice the price that the same updates could be sourced locally and directly from Tom Tom, if this option was available.

It may well be that this might just be an unfortunate interim oversight on the part of Renault Australia pending the availability of an Australian based RLink Store where Tom Tom map updates might be sourced through RLink software at prices similar to that otherwise available directly from Tom Tom Home. If otherwise, it might be seen that Renault, in precluding the sourcing of map updates directly from Tom Tom Home and charging an exorbitant price is not being fair to Australian Renault customers with inbuilt systems using Tom Tom navigation.

Until the future of an Australian version of RLink and/or an RLink store is clarified and whilst the availability of Tom Tom map updates remains solely sourced via a European based RLink store I appear destined to have to cope with outdated Tom Tom version 905 of March 2013 as there is no way that I am prepared to pay circa A$205 for each map update under the present circumstances.

Tadpole

Purchased a new Renault Megane GT and the TCU (telecommunications unit) is only capable of operation at 2G, the car was manufactured by Renault in October 2016 and delivered in 2017. Renault announced that 2G would not be supported any longer in June 2016 before the car was manufactured. Yet my new car comes with all the R-Link buttons working but the wrong TCU fitted making the R-Link system basically redundant. Without a net work connection the Traffic function and live maps don't works and the apps are redundant. Would like to hear from anyone with the same issues with contact details and those what had a R-Link system when they were first delivered to Australian that now does not work or purchased a new car and finding the R-Link functions greyed out. Would also like to hear experiences with faulty R-Link and R-Link2 units and the issues they have had. From my experience Renault Australia is very good of stonewalling complaints regarding the R Link system from individuals, but in an group this should get some traction.

https://www.facebook.com/RenaultOZRLinkNoLink/

I don't have R-Link in my Clio 182 Cup, but I do know that Telstra switched off their 2G network in Australia on 1st December 2016.
    I'm guessing the SIM cards used in Renaults with R-Link are from Telstra, so if R-Link only supports 2G it will no longer be able to connect to the mobile network due to Telstra.
    Also, Optus will switch off their 2G network in Australia from 1st April 2017 (i.e. next month).
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Tadpole

It seems that for some unknown reason, we in Australia don't have any kind of Map Update service via the store, it has to be done by the Service Centre. Additionally, Live Traffic does not seem to work here, supposedly because the R-Link runs from a 2g service, which has been turned off in Australia. R-Link UK support confirmed this when I contacted them.

I know there is an R-Link upgrade due next month for new Renaults, which allows Apple Carplay and Android Auto, but Renault UK have said to me that this will not be able to be fitted retrospectively, I find this hard to believe as the head units' look the same, surely it is just a software/firmware upgrade, as the USB ports are already installed and no additional hardware is required.

Although I really do love driving the Megane so far, these simple issues and apparent lack of thought or service regarding the R-Link 2 system is making me regret choosing this over the Skoda Octavia or Mazda 3 which were the other options I was considering, as I know these multimedia systems are seamless and far more logical and well supported, in terms of driving, they were all on par. Some of you may rightfully say 'regret choosing a car over the Multimedia system, thats ridiculous' and this is valid, however I spend a lot of time of my vehicle, and when spending this much money on a car such as this, basic integrated features such as recent maps (which are regularly updated by TomTom) and Live Traffic should work. I was hoping not to have to use my phone for anything given the Megane had all the features I wanted, but if I want any kind of Traffic Info or relevant mapping, I now have to revert to mounting my phone on the air vent and using Waze. This is, to put it bluntly, crap, and totally unacceptable.

I have now contacted my local dealer as I am taking the Megane in for its 1000km next week. I played dumb and said these things don't work, so please make them work during this service, as they shouldn't be selling vehicles with hardware that doesn't work. They seem to think that they will be able to update maps to a 'very' recent version and also fix the Live Traffic, so we'll see, otherwise I'll be pushing for the install of one of the new Carplay Head Units next month. I'll let you know my results.

Tadpole

I have had my rlink 2 updated this month. No changes to functionality, but bugs have gone. There is a lot being said on OS forums about the new ICE unit not being available to pre April 17 builds. Have only seen one post suggesting an upgrade path. Doesn't seem promising.
    Generally speaking the unit in my car performs as expected. I don't think that it is reason enough to consider moving to another brand.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information