The dry sump Gordini motor. - Page 5
  • Register
  • Help
Page 5 of 5 First 12345
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The dry sump Gordini motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I wonder if there is someone out there that could help me with the oil cap and the little towers to pull the rocker cover down. The oil cap on a Gordini is a little special because of the thickness of the alloy casting. There is a bigger distance between the little wings and the bakelite of the cap.
    Are you sure? I've just tried an R4 and a new pirate part cap on my car and they fit the same. The new pirate part (sans the alloy OIL or Elf disc, and only a single rather than dual leaf spring) is yours if a better one doesn't come along. I'm also just trying to think where I have seen similar breather thimbles on another car......

Advertisement
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

COL

I have used these on R16 R15/17 rocker cover.

Tridon Oil Cap - TOC66 - Supercheap Auto
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Are you sure? I've just tried an R4 and a new pirate part cap on my car and they fit the same. The new pirate part (sans the alloy OIL or Elf disc, and only a single rather than dual leaf spring) is yours if a better one doesn't come along. I'm also just trying to think where I have seen similar breather thimbles on another car......
    Simon, I have seen the original bakelite type caps that are different thicknesses from the seal to the "wings". The reason why I know this is because in one of the posts in "2 new race cars in NZ" I lost a cap by not tightening it and I phoned Ross that was coming over to spectate for a replacement. When he arrived, he had 2 in his hand, originals and the there I noticed the difference and then assumed the one is for the pressed metal cover and the other for the cast alloy ones.

Thanks Col, I'll get one.

So waiting for the weather I continued a bit on the dry sump motor and in this photo it shows the 2 scavenging pipes in their final position with the bracket I made and I even fitted a bell housing to make sure there isn't hidden obstacles.

It sure takes time and to do the rest I will have to make some mock-up engine compartment or better still take the other engine out and do a test fit to see the tank fitted and oil filter fitted etc. This will be the best way and I think I will do it. Only 2 races left for the season.

Regards, Frans.
    bowie, R8 Dream and JohnW like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

More progress on a rainy day. Caps that I don't have I made from a solid alluminium bar. Washer are very dainty stuff because they must be precise so that they can sit on the very small ridge on the spark plug tubes.

Plenty of odd items have to be fabricated to have the complete engine and so that there isn't any need to borrow from one to complete another. This will be the 4th G motor in the family

Regards, Frans.
    59 Floride and Sunroof like this.

Nice. I don't think that one spare for each car is greedy!
    59 Floride and Shoji like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Best way to machine those washers is to get some plumbing fittings, turn the outside nice and smooth, bore out the inside to diameter and part off whatever thickness you need. I used cast steel, but for that position on the engine, I would have tried brass.

More difficult if your lathe is out of action and you're trying to make shims for its shafts, but it can be done on the mill as well.

Not that I imagine you didn't know.

I do sometimes wish I had a surface grinder.

How are those tubes going to seal against the cover?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I just note you have spaces fitted between the rocker arms and not springs. Is that a Gordini thing or a you thing?

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    I just note you have spaces fitted between the rocker arms and not springs. Is that a Gordini thing or a you thing?
    The spacers are a high performance engine thing, not a Gordini thing. It is usual practice for an experienced engine builder like Frans and the sort of detail that is reflected in his on track performance.
    Frans and bowie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    I think Frans explained it earlier Bowie, but don't quote me. Or what thread it was
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

Schlitzaugen, not sure if you know a 16TS engine (I think so) because on top of the washers are those thick rubber rings that seat on the washer and is compressed by the rocker cover and then you have to make sure that the cork gasket on the head seals as well.

Bowie, as Bustamif said. It eliminates the side play and makes the the rockers more sturdy which minimises the pushrod harmonics and vibrations.

Frans.

1000+ Posts

I put spacers in my Dauphine engine race car back in 1962. I thought it was to reduce the pressure on the tappets so they operated more freely (quickly). We also ground away as much of the spare metal on the tappets to reduce the weight that has to repeatedly change direction at high speed.
    jaahn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Schlitzaugen, not sure if you know a 16TS engine (I think so) because on top of the washers are those thick rubber rings that seat on the washer and is compressed by the rocker cover and then you have to make sure that the cork gasket on the head seals as well.

[...]

Frans.

That is why I asked. I was wondering if the 8G engine had the same arrangement.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

These last few days were play days here in Auckland. I got a 3 phase motor for nothing and then wired it up to run on 1 phase. First time I've done it however I heard a few times that it can be done. Well it works like a charm.

So I commissioned my old buff and sanding wheels and did a quick test on the dry sump engine's rocker cover just to test the new electric motor.

Frans.
    JohnW likes this.

oooooooooh all your things can be very very pretty

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Thread Information