rx4 steering rack type
  • Register
  • Help

Default rx4 steering rack type

I tried to order some parts today and got asked the dreaded question pertaining to the RX4 steering rack.....This type or that....... Tvr?? or ### ...I've forgotton now...the piece of paper with it written on is in the shed.

Apparently the vin doesn't help, and the rack end parts are different for each rack.

The problem is I have no way of knowing which one is installed, as a thorough search of the rack casting did not reveal any ID which indicated one or the other.
    Is there any way of knowing or is there a spot I need to look to find some marks???

The inner joints are starting to show wear and are not critical at this stage, but will need doing soon.
    IF I dont find out, maybe I'll just buy all 4 arms knowing 2 of them will fit.
    Jo

Advertisement

edit
    The two rack types are TRW or SMI
    Last edited by jo proffi; 22nd December 2014 at 10:03 PM.

Use Oscaro or Mister Auto to show the parts, compare with what you see. I presume it's TRW or ZF, the question.

I got one step closer by reading on the net a quick comment that the info needed is in the most dificult to find place on the rack.
    That is a start at least, as now I can go back and give it another look in the hope that I'll find that information.

Jo

Thread Information