R8 carburettor - 32 PDIST without heater pipes in base - thoughts please
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8 carburettor - 32 PDIST without heater pipes in base - thoughts please

Hi all,

Well, for the first time in about 15 years the trusty R8 has misbehaved and progressively stopped idling this week. I diagnosed a blockage in the idle circuit of the carburettor but it made no difference cleaning the idler jet. Hmm. Have to pull it apart. No signs of an induction leak.

Luckily she has maintained her record of "always home under her own power since 1973".

The transition from idle (when it would) to main jet was terrible, and idling rough, slow, not improved with mixture or increased speed, so I thought it probably was a blockage of one or two of the little bleed holes where the butterfly flange contacts the throat. I think I've fixed it with a dismantle, lots of carbie cleaner and a good blow through the idle circuit with compressed air.

Anyway, my first thought was to use one of my brand new carbies. Alas, looking closely, neither of them has the fittings for the water hoses to keep the throat from icing. I can build a composite with the base fitting from the best of my (several) spare used carbies of course, but the new butterfly shaft and bushes in the new carbie is very appealing.

Advertisement

Has anyone experience with whether, in our climate, the coolant heating of the carbie throat is essential?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I get the feeling that "Location: Perth" under your avatar means not needed!

My Perth-ian wife came to Ballarat in 1984 with a Lancer which gave no probs in Perth with a thermostat permanently failed wide open! In Ballarat, icing was a huge issue. Even a new thermostat only partly helped. A sheet of 3 ply (on hooks), covering the radiator for the middle 8 months of the year finally did the trick.

And in this case global warming is on your side!

cheers
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keith mcelroy View Post
    I get the feeling that "Location: Perth" under your avatar means not needed!

My Perth-ian wife came to Ballarat in 1984 with a Lancer which gave no probs in Perth with a thermostat permanently failed wide open! In Ballarat, icing was a huge issue. Even a new thermostat only partly helped. A sheet of 3 ply (on hooks), covering the radiator for the middle 8 months of the year finally did the trick.

And in this case global warming is on your side!

cheers
    Keith
    Thanks Keith. That was my thought too - 37 degrees today or something like that. I do drive the car to NSW every now and again mind you. I'd forgotten I had TWO new carbies, and had never looked closely at either of them until I was about to bolt one on this morning and found the pipe spigots missing. Hmm. So I dismantled the old (original) carbie, and cleaned out the passages, particularly those to the two holes at the butterfly and it seems perfect now. Fingers crossed. There was a bit of fine, shiny metallic sludge in the bowl, but as I said, it must be 15 years since I had the top off.

Ballarat is one of the few places in which I've camped in the rain in January. The other is south west Tasmania.....

Thanks again.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information