• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Frans
  • 1 Post By keith mcelroy

Thread: New R8 Gordini in NZ

Default New R8 Gordini in NZ

Hi All,

In 1999 when I started to plan my emmigration to NZ, I contacted the Renault Club chairman to see if I should bring my G over or sell? it. At that time he told me that 3 were brought in. One disappeared of the face of the earth, One was on the South Island although butchered with a 16TS motor and then another one that was somewhere.

So for the last 13 years, if asked, I told everybody that mine was the only one in NZ and that I have heard about the other but never seen it.

Yesterday at the track a guy came to me and said that they ( him and his wife) has one. The conversation came to a confirmation. They do have the "lost" G. Inhereted from her father that passed away recently. That fell into place with all the rumours we heard over the years. Maybe, soon, this car will be on the road and on a show or two. The reason why it was never used was because of his health the last few years.

Advertisement

A rumour from their side: They new about me and my G but then some one told them that it was written off. That would have been the race car but they never knew that I had 2 similar looking cars.

Regards
    Frans
    JohnW likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

G'day Frans,
    Good to hear of a survivor. Glad you have found each other. Hope they realize what a resource(ful) person they have just met.
    Best wishes
    Keith
    J-man likes this.

Hi Frans,
    Soon after arriving in N.Z. in 2005, I remember reading a write-up on a 1100 R8G in a N.Z. Classic car magazine. It was definitely a North Island car.
    Also, there was an R8G at a local Christchurch classic car show. It was roped off so I could not walk around the back of it to confirm if the engine was a G. I don't remember if it was 1100 or 1300.
    There is also rumoured to be one in Timaru, which used to race there but this is not confirmed.

Cheers, Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    A rumour from their side:

... the car will be for sale soon ....

There was, from what I could make out over the phone, an R8G somewhere up around the central North Island back in the late '80s or early '90s. I had seen an advert for an R8, and rang the seller. He described four lights on the front, and I then asked if he could check the rear suspension. He rang back a couple of hours later to say there were four shock absorbers, two on each side. But! Someone else had rung not long after me and asked the same question about the rear suspension and offered him cash, sight unseen.

I was told last night at a club meeting that there is an R8 Gordini for sale in NZ.

Any knowledge of this out there?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi John. I found the advert some 3-4 weeks ago. Very surprised I contacted the seller and checked with him but the car is for sale although it is still in Japan and he will bring it in if enough interest to buy. $80000.00 2 owners. I think he is BSing because he said 1st owner was in England for many years and 2nd owner in Japan for many years. Then why LHD? Just another salesperson who didn't do all his homework. Paint job wasn't good when checking the reflection in the fluorescent light. Very vague and rough.
    Frans

Hi,

This thread started in 2014, not new. (some AFers don't always look at the thread dates)

I met this same guy again at the track a few months ago and he said that he lost my contact detail, that is why he never phoned me. I gave him my number again and long story short me, Ross and another Renoholic went to have a look at this missing 3rd Gordini that I was told of a long time ago.

Well, a huge disappointment, it is a normal R8, very light blue, with big head lights but hand cut to fit the bigger konveks headlights of some unknown sort. It has a 1100 G head on with the Solex Carbs but it is not a 804 block. Somebody has butchered a booster in to the engine compartment as well. Other than that it is a sound body and very straight.

Does that bring my G back to the only one in NZ? It looks like it.

Regards, Frans.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi,

This thread started in 2014, not new. (some AFers don't always look at the thread dates)

I met this same guy again at the track a few months ago and he said that he lost my contact detail, that is why he never phoned me. I gave him my number again and long story short me, Ross and another Renoholic went to have a look at this missing 3rd Gordini that I was told of a long time ago.

Well, a huge disappointment, it is a normal R8, very light blue, with big head lights but hand cut to fit the bigger konveks headlights of some unknown sort. It has a 1100 G head on with the Solex Carbs but it is not a 804 block. Somebody has butchered a booster in to the engine compartment as well. Other than that it is a sound body and very straight. Does that bring my G back to the only one in NZ? It looks like it. Regards, Frans.
    Ah well, at least we know now! Makes yours very precious! Thanks Frans. I wonder where the head came from? Someone had a G in NZ and wrote it off perhaps.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information