Dauphine Gordini on eBay
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 30
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dauphine Gordini on eBay

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    515

    Default Dauphine Gordini on eBay

    Here you go, Punters!


    Renault Dauphine Gordini 1963 Excellent Condition R8 R10 R17 Citroen Peugoet | eBay

    Advertisement
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    It's certainly a rare version. I don't know of any other Citroen manufactured R8 Dauphine Gordini's in the country, particularly ones you are able to deliver by post within Australia!
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 9th December 2014 at 11:31 AM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    515

    Default

    It's got my interior. I thought mine was good but that one looks better!

    I'm looking hungrily at that passenger side rear door card that's missing on mine, too.

    As usual, the orig steering wheel decomposed. I have a good one but it's black/white instead of blue/white.

    Damn! they WERE a pretty car ne c'est pas?
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Errrm, that's a Ryco spin on/off oil filter.

    How is that done?
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    tweed heads
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Re oil filter, maybe they have picked up an oil feed from the sender switch ,with a dump line back to the side of the sump .not the fuel line rapped in foil to prevent vapor lock, pugs

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    515

    Default Oil Filter

    Yes! That's where the oil pressure switch is but that port is uni-directional so there has to be a feed back to the sump.

    I've asked him for details via eBay & will report back if I get an answer.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  7. #7
    Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    6,174

    Default

    Pic of oil filter assembly from the parts catalogue. Also pic of the ex-Leo Slattery/ex-Clem Minge Dauphine Gordini engine, showing the same filter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dauphine Gordini on eBay-dauphine-g-oil-filter.jpg   Dauphine Gordini on eBay-dauphine-moteur.jpg  
    geodon likes this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

  8. #8
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    What's with the ragged weld lines down near the rails? Was it reshelled or cut-n-shut in a hurry at some point?

  9. #9
    1000+ Posts J-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Littlehampton, S.A.
    Posts
    23,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Pic of oil filter assembly from the parts catalogue. Also pic of the ex-Leo Slattery/ex-Clem Minge Dauphine Gordini engine, showing the same filter.
    I tuned Leo's Dauph when he was still around. It was a bit underpowered but someone had welded a steel washer in the exhaust tailpipe to restrict it thinking it was too big! Seemed crazy to me at the time (and now too).
    cheers,

    John

  10. #10
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    It's got my interior. I thought mine was good but that one looks better!

    I'm looking hungrily at that passenger side rear door card that's missing on mine, too.

    As usual, the orig steering wheel decomposed. I have a good one but it's black/white instead of blue/white.

    Damn! they WERE a pretty car ne c'est pas?
    Yes, every time I see one I think exactly that: how pretty they were. Lovely style, lovely proportions. And for 1956 too.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts alan moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland.
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Pic of oil filter assembly from the parts catalogue. Also pic of the ex-Leo Slattery/ex-Clem Minge Dauphine Gordini engine, showing the same filter.
    The oil filter in original form is not a full flow unit. The correct Purflux filter is still available, and is what is fitted to my wife's '62 Dauphine G. The Purflux filter is only about the size of a normal R12 unit, and so only about 1/3 the length of the ones in the photos. It only has small holes for oil flow and would not work in a full flow arrangement.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    Ď02 and Ď03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts geckoeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    1,667

    Default

    That gallery is where I plumbed into on my R4/850 for a full through flow oil filter and cooler. Did the engine oil a lot of good in hot African summers. 120K hard miles, and it still ran like the day it was built.

    Dauphine Gordini on eBay-le-taxi-motor.jpg
    Ray geckoeng

    Think Old, But Run Modern !!

  13. #13
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    The oil filter in original form is not a full flow unit. The correct Purflux filter is still available, and is what is fitted to my wife's '62 Dauphine G. The Purflux filter is only about the size of a normal R12 unit, and so only about 1/3 the length of the ones in the photos. It only has small holes for oil flow and would not work in a full flow arrangement.
    Thanks Alan. That might explain something that has puzzled me for a while. I have an aftermarket bypass oil filter for my 4CV and couldn't see any restriction to flow. it didn't occur to me that the restriction, keeping the oil pressure up, would be in the filter itself. Now to find a filter.....

    I've had a Repco Engine Service Manual (1970) for many years, and have enjoyed its content and taken its advice on the occasions I've actually had an engine in bits. One of their views is that bypass filters are a waste of time, as are strainers, and the only thing worth bothering with is full flow that catches everything. I think a bypass filter is better than useless myself, but I do understand their logic.

    Best Christmas wishes while I think of it!

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  14. #14
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    The oil filter in original form is not a full flow unit. The correct Purflux filter is still available, and is what is fitted to my wife's '62 Dauphine G. The Purflux filter is only about the size of a normal R12 unit, and so only about 1/3 the length of the ones in the photos. It only has small holes for oil flow and would not work in a full flow arrangement.
    Forgot to ask, what is the Purflux reference number please?
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    If the mesh in the strainer is sufficiently small to remove gravel and chunks of loose and misplaced engine material, all that would be needed subsequently is a by-pass oil filter. It needs only take crap out to about 4 microns and it will do it's job. Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  16. #16
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    If the mesh in the strainer is sufficiently small to remove gravel and chunks of loose and misplaced engine material, all that would be needed subsequently is a by-pass oil filter. It needs only take crap out to about 4 microns and it will do it's job. Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated.....
    That's true to an extent I reckon. I think Mr Repco's point is that the bypass filter doesn't take the stuff out immediately between oil pump and bearings. So a sudden influx of fine stuff can circulate through the bearings as only some is caught by the bypass filter. I still can't help thinking that a bypass filter is better than no filter (my 4CV has no filter).
    Last edited by JohnW; 14th December 2014 at 10:11 AM.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  17. #17
    VIP Sponsor 59 Floride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    It's how I roll...Brisbane
    Posts
    33,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's true to an extent I reckon. I think Mr Repco's point is that the bypass filter doesn't take the stuff out immediately between oil pump and bearings. So a sudden influx of fine stuff can circulate through the bearings as only some is caught by the bypass filter. I still can't help thinking that a bypass filter better than no filter (my 4CV has no filter).
    When I disassembled my Fregate engine it was remarkably clean and lacking in sludge which was surprising given that it has no filter either.

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    When I disassembled my Fregate engine it was remarkably clean and lacking in sludge which was surprising given that it has no filter either.
    Air cooled VW's never had an oil filter as such.
    Only a wire basket strainer.
    Very frequent oil changes though ~1500 miles from memory
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  19. #19
    1000+ Posts Renomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,197

    Default

    This line caught my eye in the ad, "Also available separately is a Renault 17"
    Cheers Renomad

    "Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

    Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

    Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!


  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    619

    Default

    Relations of mine bought a new 4CV from the Haberfield dealer in 1951. It was used for city work commuting & weekend trips of around 100miles. Around '59 it was sold to another relative who treated it to much the same use until at around 130,000 miles, it was traded on a new R8. The motor had never been apart, was quiet, but oil consumption was increasing & power down.

    The secret of this success story........oil changes every 500 miles !

    Richard
    J-man likes this.

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts alan moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland.
    Posts
    1,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Forgot to ask, what is the Purflux reference number please?
    Purflux LS131

    It is only a bypass filter and housing, and takes its feed from where the oil pressure swich would screw in having a threaded point in the housing to refit the pressure switch. The oil return looks to be via hole in the block down near the sump below the original oil pressure threaded hole, this being all part of the alloy housing fitted. The lower mounting bolt may be a banjo fitting,allowing the oil to return through it, but I can't tell.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    Ď02 and Ď03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

  22. #22
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Purflux LS131

    It is only a bypass filter and housing, and takes its feed from where the oil pressure swich would screw in having a threaded point in the housing to refit the pressure switch. The oil return looks to be via hole in the block down near the sump below the original oil pressure threaded hole, this being all part of the alloy housing fitted. The lower mounting bolt may be a banjo fitting,allowing the oil to return through it, but I can't tell.
    Thanks Alan. And, if I read things properly on your post, and to be sure to be sure, the screw-on filter itself provides the back pressure for the engine?

    Or is there a restrictor orifice "downstream from the filter"? My aftermarket one, in its box still, doesn't seem to have a restriction anywhere.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Hi,

    I have always used a Ryco bypass filter on my 4CV since I purchased it in the early 1970's. The oil pick-up comes from the oil pressure switch, while the return goes into the sump through a bolt hole in the block below the generator.

    Regards

    David

  24. #24
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 750 View Post
    Hi,

    I have always used a Ryco bypass filter on my 4CV since I purchased it in the early 1970's. The oil pick-up comes from the oil pressure switch, while the return goes into the sump through a bolt hole in the block below the generator.

    Regards

    David
    Hi David,

    Do you by any chance know exactly where the restriction to flow is and what it is?

    Cheers
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    18,054

    Default

    Generally a bypass oil filter is just fed oil through a smaller orifice than the one that feeds the oil galleries. It is not really rocket science, just two different sized holes. I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for what happens but you don't need one for it to work....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •