Oil pressure gauge installation
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Oil pressure gauge installation

Default Oil pressure gauge installation

My oil pressure light has been coming on quite frequently. Today I drained the oil, cleaned the sump and pump screen and changed the pressure light switch. Things are a bit better, but it still comes on, often intermittently. I plan on buying a tester in the coming week. However, I would like a permanent gauge. Is there an adapter available to run a sender off of the pressure light switch hole? Or is there a better location to install a sender? Thanks, Ben

Advertisement

Yes,
    Just buy an adapter with the correct thread pitch to suit the original sender and/or your aftermarket pressure gauge and install into the same port on the block the normal sender screws into. On my R10, I run a VDO electric gauge and the original idiot light sender. Been 10yrs + and 15,000 kms and no problems.

I bought my adapter from Pirtek (probably no use to you in USA though). Any auto spares place could probably also help you if you have the senders there as examples or know the thread size and pitch.

KB
    KB

Cheers for the info! Obviously, if things look grim from a pressure standpoint a total engine rebuild may be in order. My goal is to avoid that at all costs haha...

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Yes,
    Just buy an adapter with the correct thread pitch to suit the original sender and/or your aftermarket pressure gauge and install into the same port on the block the normal sender screws into. On my R10, I run a VDO electric gauge and the original idiot light sender. Been 10yrs + and 15,000 kms and no problems.

I bought my adapter from Pirtek (probably no use to you in USA though). Any auto spares place could probably also help you if you have the senders there as examples or know the thread size and pitch.

KB
    I bought an adaptor years ago that accommodates a nylon tube to the gauge (run inside the car) and the warning light. Can post a photo if you like?

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

That would be great John.... !

A long way to run a mechanical gauge line though John, that's why I went electric - yes you still need to run a wire back to the gauge, but I'd rather that than a mechanical oil line.

The other option to consider in all of this is whether replacing the oil pump may also be the answer - check the condition of the oil pick up strainer at the same time. It CAN be done just by dropping the sump without having to pull the engine out, but I always worry about sealing around the half moon seal on the crankshaft when it is time to put it back together.
    KB

I actually dropped the sump today and checked the strainer. I didn't remove the pump however... I had to make my own gaskets for sealing the sump. Time will tell how that worked out. If I do it again I will definitely do it with a lift, under better conditions....

A long way to run a mechanical gauge line though John, that's why I went electric - yes you still need to run a wire back to the gauge, but I'd rather that than a mechanical oil line.

The other option to consider in all of this is whether replacing the oil pump may also be the answer - check the condition of the oil pick up strainer at the same time. It CAN be done just by dropping the sump without having to pull the engine out, but I always worry about sealing around the half moon seal on the crankshaft when it is time to put it back together.
    It sure is Kevin, but I did it in 1974 (VDO) and could at least afford the mechanical one. It works well, but of course the tubing is the weakness. It is inside not underneath at least.

My 4CV oil pressure suddenly dropped a lot in about 1991 and it was the oil pump itself. I didn't bother to dismantle it but bought a new one from Norm (a very long time back for Caravelle!). I reckon it is an R5 pump as I have too much pressure, but no problems caused yet... I guess if it has been OK for 23 years...

I dropped the sump of course, and had fitted the gasket earlier by cementing it to the block and grease on the sump surface. By some miracle it resealed well, but I reckon I was very lucky!! You'll have seen my sump gasket fitting tool in the Fourword article!

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

So an R5 oil pump will work? That makes things a bit easier on this side of the pond...

Quote Originally Posted by forzamacchi View Post
    So an R5 oil pump will work? That makes things a bit easier on this side of the pond...
    Series 1 R5 with the Dauphine block was my guess at the time, but I don't know for sure. I have the later type rounded sump on my 4CV to get a bit more oil capacity and less surging.

I've attached a photo of the oil pressure gauge fitting on the R8, but I have exactly the same on the 4CV, more or less. it is square section brass, screwing into the block and with a similar female thread at the other end for the warning light sensor. Half way along (slightly underneath, to the left of the fitting, there is a hole drilled and threaded to take the fitting for the oil tube, but of course it could be for an electrical sensor.

I'm home today, hence the funny time I'm answering (2 pm Perth time).

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure gauge installation-pc080797.jpg  
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

I have two things against mechanical oil gauges. One in a Landrover way out west (from Brisbane) and the oil line cracked. Luckily behind the dash so oily boots told of the problem before the sump was emptied. Two. A newly fitted mechanical gauge back in my Vauxhall in the early 1960's caused a noticeable increase in engine noise in the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by forzamacchi View Post
    Be careful, as not all Renault 5 pumps are equal, and will hit the bottom of the R8/10 sump so check the height of the pickup. Over here the problem can be solved by fitting a Renault 12 (1300cc) sump (or Renault 10 1300cc sump).
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Re the oil press gauge, is your car 12V or 6V?

Keep that in mind if you are going electric

Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    I have two things against mechanical oil gauges. One in a Landrover way out west (from Brisbane) and the oil line cracked. Luckily behind the dash so oily boots told of the problem before the sump was emptied. Two. A newly fitted mechanical gauge back in my Vauxhall in the early 1960's caused a noticeable increase in engine noise in the cabin.
    Sound like soft copper lines?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Be careful, as not all Renault 5 pumps are equal, and will hit the bottom of the R8/10 sump so check the height of the pickup. Over here the problem can be solved by fitting a Renault 12 (1300cc) sump (or Renault 10 1300cc sump).
    Exactly Simon, it is "take care" territory. Mine didn't look much like a 4CV/Dauphine pump but it fitted so I assumed it was from a later Ventoux motor, which were used on the early, small capacity R5 models I think. I really don't know for sure.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Re the oil press gauge, is your car 12V or 6V?

Keep that in mind if you are going electric

Frans
    Which is why my 4CV has a mechanical one. I know now, or at least they are now available, that I could run it with a small inverter, but that path gets messy quickly!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I always found that an illuminated idiot light followed by a rattling noise was all the low oil pressure indication I ever needed......
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    I always found that an illuminated idiot light followed by a rattling noise was all the low oil pressure indication I ever needed......
    Ah, you'd call them "worry meters" I imagine. You do have a point...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Ah, you'd call them "worry meters" I imagine. You do have a point...
    A trick I picked up from Pete Brock (USA, not the aussie legend) and Paul Newman (Yes, that one) from their BRE Datsun 1600 race cars is to make a mark (small line in liquid paper or cut a tiny triangle out of self adhesive vinyl) and stick it/paint it in line with the full operating oil pressure or temp. That way if the orange needle is lined up with the mark, you can tell at a glance without having to read the numbers if all is good.
    They are not up to operating parameters in this pic, I've obviously not long started it I suspect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure gauge installation-oilpressure.jpg  
    Sunroof likes this.
    KB

Thanks Everybody.... the install seems quite easy. I am buying a compression test gauge tonight to see what kind of pressure I am actually getting. Like I said, the engine has 73,000 miles so I wouldn't be surprised if it was knackered. I certainly do hope it is just the oil pump or some sort of sender error. Looks like I may have a bit of weeping at the head gasket as well.... other than that...it runs spectacularly haha....

COL

A trick I picked up from Pete Brock (USA, not the aussie legend) and Paul Newman (Yes, that one) from their BRE Datsun 1600 race cars is to make a mark (small line in liquid paper or cut a tiny triangle out of self adhesive vinyl) and stick it/paint it in line with the full operating oil pressure or temp. That way if the orange needle is lined up with the mark, you can tell at a glance without having to read the numbers if all is good.
    They are not up to operating parameters in this pic, I've obviously not long started it I suspect.
    Another method is to twist the gauges around so that the needles are at 12 o'clock when they are reading correct.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Sound like soft copper lines?
    I would use plastic lines, easier to route around into tight places, just keep them away from hot exhausts.
    Kim Luck likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Another method is to twist the gauges around so that the needles are at 12 o'clock when they are reading correct.
    Yeah, I've seen that and it works, but the OCD in me wouldn't allow it!
    KB

I just ran a pressure test on my R8... Started off well then decreased until it showed next to nil on the gauge... Looks like a dead oil pump? Even if the engine was knackered there would atleast be somewhat of a read, correct?

Certainly worth changing by the look of it before launching into an engine rebuild. I think you stated elsewhere the compression is OK?
    Remember that these engines often blow a little blue smoke (particularly on start up ) so don't be too put off by that sign.
    KB

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information