4cv brakes again
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 4cv brakes again

gidday all
    Just another queary about brakes. Front brakes are grabbing in one spot when the wheel is turned. As I have completly dismantled the hub, brake drum & wheel could I have set the drum up out of centre? If so how can it be centred again? Like a drum brake on a bike? EG Loosen drum, apply brake & retighten? Also is there a specific torque setting for the bolts holding the drum onto the hub? lots of fun to come.
    regards
    Phill

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

It sounds like you are talking about a star or spider style wheel?

You might just need a workshop to set that lot up with proper centralisation and then a light skim of the drum to be sure to be sure.

Quite a few of us with 4CVs are in favour of upgrading the front brakes to Dauphine drums or even discs (and maybe all four wheels, although I've only done the fronts on my spider-wheel car. I'd consider that option seriously if you have the issue described, as the later brakes really make a big difference and you might as well put the effort into better brakes if you have a fair bit to do on the orginal brakes to get them right.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Default !!

Quote Originally Posted by hometurn View Post
    gidday all
    Just another queary about brakes. Front brakes are grabbing in one spot when the wheel is turned. As I have completly dismantled the hub, brake drum & wheel could I have set the drum up out of centre? If so how can it be centred again? Like a drum brake on a bike? EG Loosen drum, apply brake & retighten? Also is there a specific torque setting for the bolts holding the drum onto the hub? lots of fun to come.
    regards
    Phill
    Hi Phill,
    It's been many many years since I worked on one like that so this is really a generic comment.

You should mark the parts and replace them where and how they were originally assembled. In the old days things were not so universally made identical. So try reassembling the drum to the hub in another spot. Look for signs of the original fitting marks. Are the bearings fitted back in fully home if removed ?

If you cannot get it right then a skim of the drum may be required. Both must be done to the same size too. Not sure who will do that these days but some old shop with some old machines should be able to, and still know what to do
    Good luck jaahn
    PS of course the hub or drum may be a bit warped anyway so a skim is required.

Thread Information