r16 336-62 gearbox question
  • Register
  • Help

Default r16 336-62 gearbox question

can someone please enlighten me on this.i recently aquired a r16 gearbox 336-62 to use for a r8 bigbox conversion,

now i dont know if i am doing this correctly,but to turn the output spigot 1 full revolution, the input or spigot shaft has to be turned through approx 4.2 turns in 4th gear .how does that make the final drive 3.78? as advertised or do i have a odd r16 gearbox or am i not taking something into account?

what worries me is that when i check a r10 box in the same way,i get the same result.
    i know i can strip the box and count or check the crownwheel and pinion to confirm ratio but i would like to know before stripping as i want the 3.78 ratio.

thanks brian

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Hi potentz,
    You have forgotten something The input shaft has a pair of gears to drive to the pinion shaft. It is not direct in to the pinion shaft. So there is a reduction (or stepup) for each of the gears to add to the diff ratio, to determine the overall ratio of the 4 gears.
    Others may be able to tell you the actual ratios for the gears and the diff. But my R10 book says 33/8 for the diff= 4.125, and 3.61, 2.25 or 2.26, 1.48, 1.03 for the gearbox.
    Cheers Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 6th December 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi potentz,
    You have forgotten something The input shaft has a pair of gears to drive to the pinion shaft. It is not direct in to the pinion shaft. So there is a reduction (or stepup) for each of the gears to add to the diff ratio, to determine the overall ratio of the 4 gears.
    Cheers Jaahn
    thanks jaahn.does that mean that the r10 box in question has a taller (than std 4.1 ) given that the inputs and outputs are the same for both of these boxes?

cheers brian

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by potentz View Post
    thanks jaahn.does that mean that the r10 box in question has a taller (than std 4.1 ) given that the inputs and outputs are the same for both of these boxes?

cheers brian
    Brian,
    Our posts crossed while I was editing.
    I think what it means is the two boxes have the same ratio.
    If you want to accurately measure the ratios, then hold or fix one diff output, mark the other and the input shaft with a texta or whiteout or ?. Then select each gear and turn the input 10(or 20) times. Count the output shaft turns and estimate the part turn also. Note this gives twice the turns of the output shaft that you expect. This is because of the diff action. So double the ratio that you calculate from the turns, for the real overall ratio.
    If you took off the speedo end cover you could observe the end of the pinion shaft and count the turns directly to check the diff ratio. Do the same as above.
    Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 8th December 2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Mistake - twice the turns, not half as written before :)

Thread Information