Dauphine Rear Shocks
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Dauphine Rear Shocks

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    514

    Default Dauphine Rear Shocks

    The manual test procedure is to pump up & down checking for even resistance to movement.

    My rears pass that test and the rubbers are perfect, BUT, the compression resistance ( hitting a bump) is considerably less than the expansion resistance (falling in a hole).

    Is this normal?

    Are they single action?- they resist falling into a hole but less resistance to bumps because of the Aerostable units??

    I'd hate to spend 100+ euros on a new pair to find they act just like the old ones!

    BTW, they are blue.

    Advertisement
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    2,621

    Default

    Hi geodon
    The rear shocks on swing axle cars were always made biased in their action like that. Not single acting really but considerably more resistance on extension than compression.
    This was used to help offset the tendency for the wheels to "tuck under" when cornering. That is the reason why you should not use random shocks off other cars.
    cheers jaahn
    Sunroof likes this.

  3. #3
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi geodon
    The rear shocks on swing axle cars were always made biased in their action like that. Not single acting really but considerably more resistance on extension than compression.
    This was used to help offset the tendency for the wheels to "tuck under" when cornering. That is the reason why you should not use random shocks off other cars.
    cheers jaahn
    Thanks for the education Jaahn, I'd not thought of that.

    It is obvious once you think that way for a microsecond - did Dauphines have the limiting straps?
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  4. #4
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    You'd want even-ness of course, but it is hardly a dynamic test. My front Konis were smooth as silk (and 40 years old) but the ride improved noticeably with new ones. Ditto the rears, when I replaced perfectly smooth standard shockers with new Konis.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! geodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    514

    Default

    The distributor doesn't have shocks for the Dauphine Gordini but has some for the R8. Details: Dauphine vs (R8)
    Rears:

    Fully open 364mm (361)
    Fully closed 232 (243


    Fronts are similar.
    FO 313 (294)
    FC 212 (206)


    Ergo, interchangeable?
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

    1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

  6. #6
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geodon View Post
    The distributor doesn't have shocks for the Dauphine Gordini but has some for the R8. Details: Dauphine vs (R8)
    Rears:

    Fully open 364mm (361)
    Fully closed 232 (243


    Fronts are similar.
    FO 313 (294)
    FC 212 (206)


    Ergo, interchangeable?
    Hmm. Different weight car and different spring rates. I don't know how they compare but I wouldn't go there myself. There are two different lengths for R8 front shock absorbers too.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts alan moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Ipswich, Queensland.
    Posts
    1,898

    Default

    I don't know what the damping differences are between the aerostable and the standard Dauphine, but I will be buying a set of the Record brand Aerostable type for the rear of my wife's '62 Dauphine Gordini this week from Melun Retro, as the original ones are leaking. They seem to work OK using the bounce test, but chances are they are not controlling the spring very well whilst on the road.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    Ď02 and Ď03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

  8. #8
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    I don't know what the damping differences are between the aerostable and the standard Dauphine, but I will be buying a set of the Record brand Aerostable type for the rear of my wife's '62 Dauphine Gordini this week from Melun Retro, as the original ones are leaking. They seem to work OK using the bounce test, but chances are they are not controlling the spring very well whilst on the road.
    I suspect you'll find quite an improvement Alan. Be interested to hear in the fullness of time.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •