Virage starter motor and fuse
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Virage starter motor and fuse

So here I am, sleeping over at work tonight because the starter motor in the Virage has crapped itself.

It has needed the occasional whack and a couple of days ago I had to hit it while turning the key (not easy to do on your own) but, in spite of several no-trouble starts today, I got into it at 10pm tonight and it will not start for love or money.

Advertisement

Time for a newie - can anybody suggest where the best place to get a new/changeover unit would be? I'm in the north of Melbourne. Not far from French Connection but I don't think Dave does much in the way of 12s any more.

I don't know if it's a Bosch vs the others.

On a side note, at one point I didn't think that the starter was taking current, so I checked the fuses. The second fuse down, a 5 amp job, had blown, but it didn't help my immediate situation. I'm wondering what it is as everything in the car apart from the rear window demister works.

Virage? You can push start that thing in two meters on your own (on flat ground). Unless it's an auto, that is.

I think you need new brushes, hardly a difficult job to do and not worth changing the entire unit for. You can just get whatever brushes you find lying about unsold on a sparky's shelf since the sixties and file them down to size if they do't fit directly and can't get the correct ones. Trouble is they have rather large brushes and modern stuff is rather small.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

COL

Being a Virage is will most likely have a Paris-Rhone or a Ducelier starter motor.

They are easy to get out and as Schlitzaugen says just change the brushes, that to is a pretty easy job as well.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

COL

The fuse is most likely the rear window demister if that is the only thing that is not working.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    The fuse is most likely the rear window demister if that is the only thing that is not working.
    Could be

Didn't some Oz R12s have local Bosch starter motors? If the old one can't be fixed as simply as brushes, a new one isn't a bad option.

Anyway bad luck on the non-start. I always reckon they have to start and stop reliably above all else. You had the warning signs but sometimes you know that it is going to fail but it can't be fixed that particular week. I do know - the R8 fuel gauge has just failed at last......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Didn't some Oz R12s have local Bosch starter motors?
    That's right, up until mid-1975. Then to Paris-Rhone as Col mentioned above, but the engine mount bracket on the Bosch equippped cars is also different, so the larger Aussie Bosch starter won't fit the later cars unless the bracket is changed as well. It is just so much easier to replace the old Bosch (not originally fitted to the Virage) with the smaller and much easier to remove Paris-Rhone.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Well, there's 4 hours of my life I won't get back.

Not that it's over mind you - that's just to get the **** out.

A bit of fiddling around to get the air cleaner and coil off, tighten the plastic hood on the carby which I noticed was loose, and give the starter motor's screws a bit of a tweak. The fun really started with the heat shield - I hope there's a special circle of hell for the blonk who thought those upside-down bolts were a good idea - the bolts being rusted and requiring the aid of a hammer applied to the ratchet.

I then spent another hour trying to get the thing out even once the bolts were removed, and more than once I was convinced that it wasn't going to come out at all. As it turns out it's a Bosch, which explains the difficulty if they're bigger. This very strange - my first Virage was a '78 as well and the first time I changed a starter in that car, it took about 3 hours for the whole job (in complete darkness too) so it must have been one of the smaller units.

If I decide to go for replacement with a Ducellier or Paris-Rhone, will the mounting bracket need to be changed as well?

COL

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post

If I decide to go for replacement with a Ducellier or Paris-Rhone, will the mounting bracket need to be changed as well?
    Nothing needs changing, It will bolt back in place using the same bolts.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

COL

Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    On a side note, at one point I didn't think that the starter was taking current, so I checked the fuses. The second fuse down, a 5 amp job, had blown, but it didn't help my immediate situation. I'm wondering what it is as everything in the car apart from the rear window demister works.
    I have an answer for your fuse question. Its for the automatic transmission so if your car is a manual it will not need it.
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I have an answer for your fuse question. Its for the automatic transmission so if your car is a manual it will not need it.
    Col, why then has it blown? Seems odd. Usually, if there's a circuit not in use, the factory wouldn't fit a fuse to the slot would they?

Time will tell...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

COL

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Col, why then has it blown? Seems odd. Usually, if there's a circuit not in use, the factory wouldn't fit a fuse to the slot would they?

Time will tell...
    Maybe it was an auto that has been converted to a manual??, or maybe someone has swapped fuses??
    Regards Col

2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Thread Information