• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car

Default Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car

Hi everyone,

Advertisement

Bob Watson had kindly sent me some photo's from his collection of the 69TS Walton's rally car. They're the first photo's I've actually seen apart from the grainy images from the period magazines. Here they are on the 1969 Southern Cross Rally. Enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car-waltons-69ts-scr-1.jpg   Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car-waltons-69ts-scr-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Sarosa; 22nd November 2014 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    Hi everyone,

Bob Watson had kindly sent me some photo's from his collection of the 69TS Walton's rally car. They're the first photo's I've actually seen apart from the grainy images from the period magazines. Here they are on the 1969 Southern Cross Rally. Enjoy.
    Lovely photos thanks!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I fondly remember that car. It was the that car that inspired me to buy mt R16TS.
    Marvellous.

1000+ Posts

Hi everyone,

You can certainly see how time has changed, not a helmet or roll cage to be seen.
    If you've got too much traction, you haven't got enough horse power ...

.2010 Holden Commodore Ute
    2001 Renault Sport Clio Cup 27 of 85
    1973 Alpine Renault A310/4 1600 VE

1000+ Posts

Helmets? In the black and white one, they look like they're coming back from the beach!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Here's another photo I've been sent, this time from the first WA ARC round in 1974 with the late Rod Van Der Straaten navigating. This was in a Rod Slater (Eurocars) 16TS, running stock standard. They finished 3rd outright.

Safety wise, helmets and rally seatbelts have arrived!

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car-1974-wa-arc.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by 27of85 View Post
    You can certainly see how time has changed, not a helmet or roll cage to be seen.
    That's because cars were made of metal back then.

Anyway they had there seat belts on. they were safe.
    addo and Damien Gardner like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Some more photo's:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car-waltons-69ts-scr-3.jpg   Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car-waltons-69ts-scr-4.jpg  
    GreenBlood, don and Damien Gardner like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post

Anyway they had there seat belts on. they were safe.
    Then why does the Nav look so terrified ....

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Then why does the Nav look so terrified ....
    He's not terrified, he's just trying to keep his lunch down.....
    Damien Gardner likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Also note the use of Cosmic alloy wheels to lower the overall gearing of the car.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Also note the use of Cosmic alloy wheels to lower the overall gearing of the car.
    I'd been staring at those rims wondering what they were. All other shots show the use of the standard early French rim.

Last photo dug up: poor old 16. "The battered appearance of the front at the end of the BP Rally was a result of a head on collision with Peter Janson in a similar car."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car-waltons-69ts-scr-5.jpg  

I'd been staring at those rims wondering what they were. All other shots show the use of the standard early French rim.

Last photo dug up: poor old 16. "The battered appearance of the front at the end of the BP Rally was a result of a head on collision with Peter Janson in a similar car."
    Just LOOK at those front wheel angles.

Wonderful photos Sarosa. Many thanks. Great times....

No one has ever done anything quite like a Renault 16TS. I still want a new one with power steering and AC.
    furneauxfrogger likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I finally just solved the mystery of what happened to Bob Watson's 16TS rally car!!!!!

I remember in an old post Rod Slater mentioned he sold it to a gentleman called Garry Mann in WA, a graphic artist, after he had brought the 3 cars over to WA and rallied them himself in the WA Rally series. Well I rang Garry, after a long search finding him, and spoke to him tonight. YES he did buy the Watson Rally car - and it's fate???????

I'm afraid he hit a tree while rallying in 1971/72 and the front suspension/steering was so mangled it was written off. The motor was apparently salvaged and went into an R12 rally car driven by a Colin Redman.(Anyone???)

I've wondered what happened to this car for years, hoping it may resurface, but alas no.

We know from Rod Slater that the Janson car was broken up for parts upon arrival in WA.

He (Garry) said the third car, was still rallying up till mid-70's by Phil Myers in WA. (Testing his memory as well).

So there is still possibly one still out there..... somewhere.

Cheers.

I finally just solved the mystery of what happened to Bob Watson's 16TS rally car!!!!!

I remember in an old post Rod Slater mentioned he sold it to a gentleman called Garry Mann in WA, a graphic artist, after he had brought the 3 cars over to WA and rallied them himself in the WA Rally series. Well I rang Garry, after a long search finding him, and spoke to him tonight. YES he did buy the Watson Rally car - and it's fate???????

I'm afraid he hit a tree while rallying in 1971/72 and the front suspension/steering was so mangled it was written off. The motor was apparently salvaged and went into an R12 rally car driven by a Colin Redman.(Anyone???)

I've wondered what happened to this car for years, hoping it may resurface, but alas no.

We know from Rod Slater that the Janson car was broken up for parts upon arrival in WA.

He (Garry) said the third car, was still rallying up till mid-70's by Phil Myers in WA. (Testing his memory as well).

So there is still possibly one still out there..... somewhere.

Cheers.
    Colin Redmond was President of Club Automobile Francaise until recently, in Adelaide, and is a long standing 4CV owner in Perth and Adelaide, to say but the least. For many years he worked for Rod Slater's Eurocars in Perth.

I'll try and chase up the Phil Myers connection. I don't know him myself, but we only moved to WA in 1989!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Colin Redmond was President of Club Automobile Francaise until recently, in Adelaide, and is a long standing 4CV owner in Perth and Adelaide, to say but the least. For many years he worked for Rod Slater's Eurocars in Perth.

I'll try and chase up the Phil Myers connection. I don't know him myself, but we only moved to WA in 1989!
    Hi John, I just went over all my old notes on these cars. Rod Slater said that indeed the Ex-McPherson car (The 3rd Car) was entered in a South Australian event, in 1972, by Phil Myers with (He think's) Tom Snooks as 'mappy'.... they crashed into a ditch, during this event and damaged the chassis.... Phil Myers sold it 'as was, where was'. However it did survive and was last known to be in SA in 1973............................

I'm somewhere in the background of that photo, it was the finish of the BP Rally at Chadstone Shopping Centre.

The story went, as I recall, that the track they collided on was too narrow to turn around in so Janson, who had followed Watson up the wrong track reversed at valve bounce back in the opposite direction with Watson (who had turned around further up) very close to his front bumper.

They reckoned Janson averaged about 80km/h on the section including the backwards bit.

I seem to recall that one of the cars at the finish had a new radiator hung over the front of the grille.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

VIP Sponsor

Which car did Chuck Mora win the SA title with in 1972?

Phil Myers (Flyers Myers) was a West Australian, Tom Snooks was also originally from WA so the car would have been run in WA not SA.

Hi John, I just went over all my old notes on these cars. Rod Slater said that indeed the Ex-McPherson car (The 3rd Car) was entered in a South Australian event, in 1972, by Phil Myers with (He think's) Tom Snooks as 'mappy'.... they crashed into a ditch, during this event and damaged the chassis.... Phil Myers sold it 'as was, where was'. However it did survive and was last known to be in SA in 1973............................

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Which car did Chuck Mora win the SA title with in 1972?
    This was a stock standard 16TS, not one of the ex-works cars.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

In the contemporary reports, the car (as a WA entry) was reported to have numerous electrical problems during the event, culminating in a failed starter motor. As you say though, the car was sold as-was-where-is. It was advertised for sale at Glenelg in 1973 after a couple of rallies with its new owner, but its fate from there is unknown.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

[QUOTE=Sarosa;1307548]I finally just solved the mystery of what happened to Bob Watson's 16TS rally car!!!!!

When I arrived in WA in 1974 Colin Redmond was navigating for Ron Daniels in a 16TS engined 12. This was a very successful car. Ron campaigned it for many seasons (later with John Poyner navigating). It went within a whisker of the State title. Later it acquired a 12G 5 speed box when the last parts fled the Melbourne factory, thus becoming in essence a good approximation of a 12 G. I am uncertain of the car or engine fate.
    Last time I spoke with Ron his road car was still the 17G first rallied by Tom Riley. These two cars and my own 8G, and later a sister 16TS engined 12 where all painted in a matching yellow with white and black half diamond paint scheme by fellow RCC of WA member Jeff Coleman. This paint scheme still exists at least on the 8G, now owned by Russell McKenzie here in Ballarat.
    thanks for the memory jog
    Keith
    forumnoreason likes this.

[QUOTE=keith mcelroy;1307663]

When I arrived in WA in 1974 Colin Redmond was navigating for Ron Daniels in a 16TS engined 12. This was a very successful car. Ron campaigned it for many seasons (later with John Poyner navigating). It went within a whisker of the State title. Later it acquired a 12G 5 speed box when the last parts fled the Melbourne factory, thus becoming in essence a good approximation of a 12 G. I am uncertain of the car or engine fate.
    Last time I spoke with Ron his road car was still the 17G first rallied by Tom Riley. These two cars and my own 8G, and later a sister 16TS engined 12 where all painted in a matching yellow with white and black half diamond paint scheme by fellow RCC of WA member Jeff Coleman. This paint scheme still exists at least on the 8G, now owned by Russell McKenzie here in Ballarat.
    thanks for the memory jog
    Keith
    Wow I wonder where all those cars are now. I've known Colin for many years and I have pictures of him repairing Rod Slaters (now Tom Riley's) R12G but I never knew he rallied a 12 himself.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Speaking of an original Waltons Rally Car, it reminded me of my entry in a Waltons Sponsored Event, the 1969 Monash Midyear Rally, run I think on the 26th July 1969! The entry list contained 176 starters, we were car 113 and finished 32nd overall. At some controls the road was so greasy that the car slipped down the inclines into the gutter whilst it was stopped. The roads were badly cut up all around the event and it wasn't long before new field limits were imposed to protect the tracks.

Below a photograph of possibly/one of the first R16s to be rallied in Australia:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photos of the Waltons 16TS actual Rally Car-monash-midyear-690002.jpg  
    GreenBlood likes this.

VIP Sponsor

I was on the second last control point on that event. Won by Bob Bird in a Beetle , Bill? Weston 2nd in a Beetle and Pete DeVaus with the late George Woods in a near new standard 404 were third.
    We were set a bit after midnight and were still there until well after dawn. The set up car was a Renault 16 supplied by Renault Australia and driven by Bill Philip, brother of Matt Philip who was Peter Brocks crew member in the 1979 Repco Trial. I remember they had a flat tyre (Michelin) which was replaced by a Dunlop Guardian cross ply at the Buxton service station! Would have been diabolical given the conditions.
    An amazing field, large numbers of Uni students in things like Austin A50s, also TR2 sports cars, Honda S600s etc.
    But also many serious rally competitors.
    One PCCV crew in a 403 went to the start to wave off Pete and George then went home for some sleep before returning to start car number 161. They fitted chains and then proceeded to pass 100 cars! What was that about road damage?
    I have the Supp Regs still, $2 entry fee!
    Kim, do you remember a guy in a 16 called Manfred Loury?

Graham

Not familiar with Manfred, although it was a little while ago, Graham! I have the entry list and results for the '69 Midyear so between us we have the full set!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information