• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By Stuey

Thread: Renault Wins ARC

VIP Sponsor

Default Renault Wins ARC

It has now been a week since Renault was crowned Australian Rally Champion, congratulations to Scott Pedder and Dale Moscatt.
    I haven't seen any ads yet, I would have thought some great publicity could be gained from such an achievement.
    It was a bit different back in 1970 when Renault last won, and they had Geoff Key looking after their public image.

Citroen have just announced the signing of the 2013 ARC winner Eli Evans to drive for them next year.

Graham

Advertisement

I think the days of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" are well over.
    KB

1000+ Posts

I'm with you Graham. Why not publicise it?

VIP Sponsor

Tell that to VW with their megadollar WRC program, or Mercedes with F1.

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I think the days of "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" are well over.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Tell that to VW with their megadollar WRC program, or Mercedes with F1.
    Ask 6 of your neighbours (not your Motorsport mates) who won the WRC this year and tell me the percentage that got it right on Monday.
    KB

1000+ Posts

If Renault put money into it then the only reason would be potential sales from any publicity. Given the high sales of RenaultSport versions in Australia, I imagine a targeted ad campaign might be in order, not a shotgun exercise.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Ask 6 of your neighbours (not your Motorsport mates) who won the WRC this year and tell me the percentage that got it right on Monday.
    I think advertising is a bit more subtle than that. I agree with Peter. Targeted to the demographic, not "every Aussie next door". For example advts during V8 super cars on TV, or car magazines etc. A girls father buying his daughter her first car to drive to uni won't be the target (unless Dad is a rev head then it may have a small subliminal effect). I don't think even the current Clio advt is going to attract the young girls like the Mazda, Ford, etc, advts that imply easy to drive and fun party times. Who else buys cheap little cars? Who buys the various Renault Sport models? They are the target demographic for WRC, ARC winners.

I was referring to Australia, and implying they would get more sales from winning say a hot hatch magazine comparo than participating in and winning, the ARC.
    KB

VIP Sponsor

It would have to have a feel good effect on present owners at least.

I was referring to Australia, and implying they would get more sales from winning say a hot hatch magazine comparo than participating in and winning, the ARC.

VIP Sponsor

That is exactly why they need to tell people about it, a national title is a worthwhile achievement.
    Some words from Scott would be in order too, he is on record as saying that this is the best rally car he has ever driven, and he has driven many over the years!

It has now been a week since Renault was crowned Australian Rally Champion, congratulations to Scott Pedder and Dale Moscatt.
    I haven't seen any ads yet, I would have thought some great publicity could be gained from such an achievement.
    It was a bit different back in 1970 when Renault last won, and they had Geoff Key looking after their public image.

Citroen have just announced the signing of the 2013 ARC winner Eli Evans to drive for them next year.

Graham
    There's a bit of video on this page: TEAM: Mackenzie Finishes Off In Style | ARC News Australian Rally Championship

I went looking for the results on line and most of the tables only seem to show drivers' names, not car brand. Sigh....

Anyway, nice result. Not quite as exciting for me as 1970 though... They surely knew how to advertise the win back then!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault Wins ARC-1970-r8-arc-advert-sml.jpg  
    J-man, Sunroof, Kim Luck and 1 others like this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I think the general public lost interest in rallying after the demise of Group B : (

And as far as the local series not even car people know the names of anyone apart from the top couple of drivers....

Imagine V8 Supercars with a fairly standard looking car.....

VIP Sponsor

Doesn't matter, a result is a result and worth advertising. Different matter if they hadn't won of course.
    The reason people have lost interest in rallying is that they think SUV when they think of going on to the dirt and nothing is more boring than clunking along slowly in those things.
    Have a look at the footage, the Renault and Mazda sound fantastic, not as good for the Citroens which are turboed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ch View Post
    I think the general public lost interest in rallying after the demise of Group B : (

And as far as the local series not even car people know the names of anyone apart from the top couple of drivers....

1000+ Posts

If they were at least we would be able to tell one from the other. At the moment they all look the same. Again they mostly only show drivers names in the placings during the running of the event. I don't know who drives a Nissan, Volvo or a Merc but they are the cars I want to know placings for. I only watch to see if they beat the Holden/Fords. Same with rally, haven't got a clue who drives what, only the real fans know that. General public only want to know how there favourite make goes.

1000+ Posts

<snip>
    The reason people have lost interest in rallying is that they think SUV when they think of going on to the dirt and nothing is more boring than clunking along slowly in those things.
    <snip>.
    Then again, my wife's '05 Forester is quite a good fang on dirt.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

I lost interest when they stopped us standing close enough to endanger our lives.

Kram likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I lost interest when they stopped us standing close enough to endanger our lives.
    You've got a point there - when Rally Australia was on here in WA it was nearly impossible to watch it. In deference to Peter's correct comment, the works Subarus sounded sensational.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

VIP Sponsor

They introduced a class for SUVs a year or two ago, but no support except for Brett Middleton who ran a Diesel Forester, he kept winding the boost up until the drivetrain cried enough! It was good publicity and development for his company MRT performance, pity more didn't take it up.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Then again, my wife's '05 Forester is quite a good fang on dirt.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

John, the first few of Rallies Australia I was able to get very close, but then no more as each year became more restrictive. It was really good before the safety guys got control. In the early couple of years it wasn't even that popular! It was like an event for the real enthusiasts. My wife and I would follow the rally around all the country stages.

In the days of Kankkunen and Sainz; Alex Fiorio, Marcus Gronholm etc. I was able to get so close that I was bombarded by stones thrown up by their tyres. On one tight hairpin, there was only a tree between me and the cars - a tree the cars sometimes clipped. This was the best motorsport I'd seen and have seen. Smell that burning oil!

Then during the transport stages, Alex Fiorio going past my line of traffic at the 110 km/h speed limit, him on the wrong side overtaking at an estimated 140-150km/h in his Integrale, half sideways with his rear right wheel on the other side gravel, was driving skill to behold! Obviously he had lost time between stages. Mad, but exciting.

Then popularity struck, and with it, the safety people. I stopped going.
    Last edited by Stuey; 24th November 2014 at 01:43 AM.
    JohnW likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Regardless of the sad state of rallying and the very small field in the ARC I cannot understand why you wouldn't take advantage of this and every good news story there is.

Peter
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Fellow Frogger!

Ahh, don't get me started, spent way too much personal time and money over the years lobbying to get rallying back to the common man but the FIA/CAMS just want to cater for the manufacturers and spite the people who actually pay for them to exist.

Thread Information