My New Project
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: My New Project

Fellow Frogger!

Default My New Project

Hi,

Advertisement

I have obtained a late 1955, early 1956 Renault 4CV from a friend. Unfortunately it has spent many years out in the elements, so it is definitely going to be a "Labour of Love" to get it back on the road.

Does any one have plans for a rotisserie for either a 4CV or an 8 or 10 that could be adapted?

Regards

DavidMy New Project-pb010764.jpgMy New Project-pb010765.jpgMy New Project-pb040767.jpgMy New Project-pb040770.jpgMy New Project-pb040771.jpg

I hope there's no inside-out rust along the roof line gutter spot welding.... If there is, best of luck. It looks a bit tired and moth-eaten from the photos.

Note it has the rare bottom-hinged glove box lid - they can be expensive to buy and are hard to find in my experience. Off things like that can make the worst shell worth picking up, or at least I reckon so.

Good to see yet another emerging. You can hide the hole in that rear bumper at the front with the number plate!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I can take some pics of my stand and give basic dimensions but it is not a true rotisserie as it doesn't have a ratchet mechanism to rotate the shell 90deg. It uses the bumper mount points to mount the shell so your width and depth etc will be governed by those dimensions on your shell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Project-dscn2270.jpg   My New Project-dscn2266.jpg   My New Project-dscn2349.jpg   My New Project-dscn2269.jpg  
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by DJ 750 View Post
    Hi,

I have obtained a late 1955, early 1956 Renault 4CV from a friend. Unfortunately it has spent many years out in the elements, so it is definitely going to be a "Labour of Love" to get it back on the road.

Does any one have plans for a rotisserie for either a 4CV or an 8 or 10 that could be adapted?

Regards

DavidClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PB010764.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	62992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB010765.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	62993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB040767.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	62994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB040770.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	62995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB040771.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	62996
    Try JY Dog on here with a PM. He leant me a home made rotisserie that I used for the Dauphine. He was trying to sell/give it away about 3 months ago before moving house. It may still be around if he is still on Aussiefrogs.
    Good luck...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

1000+ Posts

Once saw one made from two engine stands. The bumper bar attachments were welded up with a piece of 75mm? pipe that was put into the swivel point. New ones cost about $1400 to $1500 last time I looked. But have a hydraulic device for altering height.

1000+ Posts

By the way love the car. Having great fun with my restoration. Although a bit slow as other things get in the way. Hope yours goes well with out too many nasties.

The mini guys often use two engine stands, but they can run a single pipe mounted to the bulkhead, then runs through the speedo hole to the back and through a removable panel on the rear seat out to the second stand.

The engine stands are often tilted back however.
    KB

Icon9

[QUOTE=Sunroof;1303391]Once saw one made from two engine stands. The bumper bar attachments were welded up with a piece of 75mm? pipe that was put into the swivel point. New ones cost about $1400 to $1500 last time I looked. But have a hydraulic device for altering height.[/QUOTE

Sunroof, market forces are your friend:

Tomahawk USA Auto CAR Body Rotisserie Twirler Restoration Hoist Lift Jack | eBay

Mind you, there are real rotisseries and El-Cheapo knock offs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWwt3wRW0U

Buuuuuuuutt, with a Kerb weight of around 600kg wet, our requirements are modest compared to an F250 ne c'est pas?

I made one for doing split screen Kombis before they became popular & available. It cost me $1500 for the steel! I sold it when I cleared my sheds.
    Last edited by geodon; 17th November 2014 at 09:53 AM.
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

Cool! So will we see a 4CV restoration thread then? That grille bar on the front is pretty rare. I haven't seen the choke on the floor by the gear shift and the pull starter behind the hand brake for a while. It looks earlier than 55-56 to me with that dash and pull starter
    Like John said, I hope it doesn't turn out to be too rusty; it'd be great to see another one restored
    cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by J-man View Post
    It looks earlier than 55-56 to me
    Based on the oval plate, and the features such as the dash and front badge surround, DJ would be spot on with his dates. I'm hoping it will be an easy resto too!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

Thanks for all the information about rotisseries. The more I work on the car (or try to loosen rusted on bolts), it is going to be a long slow and I am sure painful restoration.

Thanks

David

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You can hide the hole in that rear bumper at the front with the number plate!
    I was going to ask about that but I was thinking that with my family background I should know the answer already. Did someone fit a rear bumper on the front or is it the typical Renault tightarse tradition of making one part fit all and just cover it with the number plate?
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You can hide the hole in that rear bumper at the front with the number plate!
    I was going to ask about that but I was thinking that with my family background I should know the answer already. Did someone fit a rear bumper on the front or is it the typical Renault tightarse tradition of making one part fit all and just cover it with the number plate?
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavanagh View Post
    Cheaper not to make the hole I'd have thought. No, just that someone damaged the front one and had an undamaged rear and they are the same size. My 4CV is just the same.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information