R8 vs R10 1100 head
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8 vs R10 1100 head

Hello All,
    There is an R8 and some R10s which ended up in a pull a part junkyard here in LA. I am going to grab what I can for my R8. I am also going to grab a head for some polishing and porting. Is there any advantage to the later R10 head or is it the same as the R8 1100? I wish I had more time to pull an R10 transmission...as I hear those are better than the stock R8..... Ben

Advertisement

Aside from the number of ports, the greater the better, the very late R10 heads also have larger valves than the earlier heads. If the heads you are looking at are cheap and in good nick, they may be worth grabbing them whilst you can.

If looking to grab transaxles, also grab the shift linkage and gear lever, as the later gearboxes have a different linkage and lever to the earlier ones (note also the input shaft and clutch). Note also that depending on the era of the R8/10 they may also have the same transaxle (and the same cylinder head for that matter). It isn't necessarily so that a trans (or head) is better just because it came from an R8 or an R10, there are differences over time.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

I would also grab the uni joints linking the axles to the gearbox.

1000+ Posts

Actually, depending on how long you intend to keep your R8 & how easy this stuff is to get (where you live), I'd have a potentially long shopping list.

cheers! Peter

I am going to try and grab as much as possible. I popped by a few days ago and grabbed some good mirrors, etc. for the rear view mirror that always seems to disintegrate. I am heading back on Saturday morning, hopefully they are still as I left them and haven't met their demise. I don't think I will have the ability to pull anything substantial, unfortunately. I am really looking to find a top end to freshen up and possibly polish and port. My original head has about 73,000 miles on it... Thanks, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Actually, depending on how long you intend to keep your R8 & how easy this stuff is to get (where you live), I'd have a potentially long shopping list.

cheers! Peter
    Peter is right. Grab plenty of things. Personally, I'd get a set of doors and a bonnet, a rear panel (they unbolt), R8 bumpers if OK etc etc. Get more than one head. The panels and trim are hardest to replace.

Simon is right too. I'd get swing axles too as the trunnions can wear eventually. Then the callipers are always good to have......

Early exhaust manifolds can crack between cylinder 2-3 pipes, so grab one.

I'd better stop.... No, get a steering rack too, then you can put a high ratio pinion in sometime.

Then you might grab a spare distributor or two. If yours is an early 956 engine, you should get a spare engine, as the blocks do warp and crack sometimes on the early R8s.

I'd better stop.....

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger! Gordini Pervert's Avatar

Ebay what you dont want man - Just give us a heads up on your EBAY profile?

I was able to grab quite a bit while in the yard... Unfortunately, jacks weren't allowed. I did manage to grab a spare head, hood and decklid. Along with multiple stereo blanks, door handle trim and mirror bits. It was damn hot and a 2 hour round trip, but well worth it. If anyone needs a stereo mount plate let me know! Ben

Thread Information