• 3 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By COL
  • 2 Post By steve V6
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: Koleos diesel coolant change

Fellow Frogger!

Default Koleos diesel coolant change

Hi,
    I have a 2009/10 Koleos auto diesel. I plan to drain/replace the coolant. I can't see any bleed valves on the coolant hoses. Anything to watch out for doing this job? I've got the Renault coolant.

Love driving this car. The six speed auto is great and the Koleos is quite economical in city & country.
    I've done a Google search and can't find anything on this job even at the X Trail forum.
    I'm guessing its just drain and replace with same amount as drained.

Thanks
    Steve

Advertisement
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Have you looked at the service record to see where the services are up too? As it has a typically French sealed system I don't know why you would want to change the coolant "just because?" My R10 and R4 were "sealed for life" unless you needed -30 degree C protection.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Have you looked at the service record to see where the services are up too? As it has a typically French sealed system I don't know why you would want to change the coolant "just because?" My R10 and R4 were "sealed for life" unless you needed -30 degree C protection.
    Kim there is a finite life to coolant just like any of the other fluids that are in the car.

Not sure how Km or years but you should be able to find that information in the service manual.

Also it should state the type of coolant to use.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

I totally agree! From experience, the coolant will generally outlast the first owner and a few more. Can't be fagged going outside in the heat to get the handbook for the Koleos diesel right now, but when you consider the coolant is formulated with the correct ph value, a degree of anti-frost and that smart engine manufacturers design their engines with accurate temperature control and use metals with similar valencies, there ain't much need to change your coolant. Except the oil, which is another part of your cooling system and technically if you keep that clean and put some additives in it occasionally there ain't much need to change that either.
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 31st October 2014 at 10:24 PM.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Unless they have taken leaf out of the other french car's book, renaults usualy have well designed cooling systems that self bleed.
    If the coolant bottle has a few connections in it, it probably bleeds the air out by itself.

If it uses type d coolant like its predecessor, i bought a 5l bottle at the steeler today for under$40.

Jo

Back to basics. I'm not a chemical engineer, but I do know how to assess oil contamination. Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated, and apart from what we burn in our engines it just needs cleaning, not replacing. The "compulsory oil change" is a fiction of the oil companies. If there is anyone here can tell me the tests by which anyone can know whether your coolant is rooted or not, based on scientific fact, I'd especially like to know what parameters are used.
    niks likes this.

Back to basics. I'm not a chemical engineer, but I do know how to assess oil contamination. Oil doesn't wear out, it just gets contaminated, and apart from what we burn in our engines it just needs cleaning, not replacing. The "compulsory oil change" is a fiction of the oil companies. If there is anyone here can tell me the tests by which anyone can know whether your coolant is rooted or not, based on scientific fact, I'd especially like to know what parameters are used.
    Is you google button broken???

My highly scientific test (and I'm sure DC will concur) is to determine if the coolant is actualy in the cooling system or on the ground.
    Once it is on the ground, it is 'rooted' by any measure.

Jo
    27of85, Geoff in Gully and jaahn like this.

COL

I don't think its the oil itself Kim but the additives to the oil that do all the protecting that come to their used by date.

If you compare an engine that is serviced to manufacturers specificationss and one that is not you will surely notice the difference when you strip the engine down.
    con likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Kim,
    Coolants do not last the life of the car. The chemicals loose their effectiveness after 3, 4 or 5 years and then the coolant needs to be replaced. In fact some coolants change their colour indicating that they need to be replaced. As per the service record this coolant needs to be replaced that is why I want to change it.

Do you drive a Koleos?

Thanks
    Steve
    Steve V6 ..
    404,504Ti, 406SV.

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    I don't think its the oil itself Kim but the additives to the oil that do all the protecting that come to their used by date.

If you compare an engine that is serviced to manufacturers specificationss and one that is not you will surely notice the difference when you strip the engine down.

True COl, it's the additive package that gets depleted. The oil that carries the additives however simply gets contaminated and a good scrub-up through a long-strand cotton filter together with a heating process to remove diluted fuel will return it back to it's useful self. A quantity of new oil added will generally restore the additive ratio to the required standard.

Quote Originally Posted by steve V6 View Post
    Hi Kim,
    Coolants do not last the life of the car. The chemicals loose their effectiveness after 3, 4 or 5 years and then the coolant needs to be replaced. In fact some coolants change their colour indicating that they need to be replaced. As per the service record this coolant needs to be replaced that is why I want to change it.

Do you drive a Koleos?

Thanks
    Steve
    I do, Steve! 2009 Diesel Auto!

I also have had it serviced by the local dealer since new and I'm sure they change everything that should be changed when it needs to be. Your answer to my question sounds plausible enough to be true, like compulsory oil changes, but is it? Taking into account all the parameters required for a coolant, what chemical or physical process transpires that requires the coolant to be changed? A smart manufacturer may introduce a changing colour simply to sell more coolant!

P.S: I still haven't been out to the car to get the handbook!

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Hi Kim,

Do you drive a Koleos?

Thanks
    Steve

Steve,

You need to "test" the coolant pH value to see if it needs replacing: you should not replace just because it's "x years" old. A competent garage will have the appropriate coolant tester; if not, you'll have to drop in to Concord.

And, I don't drive a Koleos....

con...

Fellow Frogger!

Gee this is going crazy. How many people check the ph value of a coolant.
    The coolant only costs $30 and one needs to do chemical tests before changing it? Its once every 4 years (as per container) and I'll just change the stuff.

I'm sorry I even asked this question.
    SP...
    cjl and Fordman like this.

The coolant only costs $30 and one needs to do chemical tests before changing it? Its once every 4 years (as per container) and I'll just change the stuff.

SP...
    I'm with you, Steve.

I dont care how much life the gearbox oil/coolant/ brake fluid has left in it before I change it.

Jo

con
    Fellow Frogger!

SP...

Steve,

you need to educate yourself - it is not a chemical test but consists of using a refractometer.

Think of all the needless waste from pouring perfectly serviceable coolant down the drain (not to mention the money)! The planet will not thank you, Steve.

con...

Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    Steve,

you need to educate yourself - it is not a chemical test but consists of using a refractometer.

Think of all the needless waste from pouring perfectly serviceable coolant down the drain (not to mention the money)! The planet will not thank you, Steve.

con...
    Coolant is a prescribed substance.

It should recycled or disposed of as per used oil, ATF etc.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%2Fiwrg642.pdf

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Coolant is a prescribed substance.

It should recycled or disposed of as per used oil, ATF etc.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%2Fiwrg642.pdf

For avoidance of doubt "... down the drain..." is a figure of speech, not meant to be taken literally (except in small doses).

And, doesn't everyone have a "trade waste agreement with the local water authority".

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post

sythetic oils do not wear out or their additives, they just pick up rubbish from the engine such as poor fuels have.changing the filter on a renault diesel is all one needs to do which is why fixed price servicing is now all the go. 300 bucks for an oil filter is not bad for the dealer. Coolants are a different kettle of fish but they are heading the way of synthetic oils as global pollution laws tighten up

Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    For avoidance of doubt "... down the drain..." is a figure of speech, not meant to be taken literally (except in small doses).

And, doesn't everyone have a "trade waste agreement with the local water authority".
    Maybe certain people should.

I guess it depends on their diet and the condition of the sewer. Maybe there should be a surcharge depending on the nationality of the cuisine.

I was not intending to pedantic, but "down the drain" did seem to fit the disposal of a liquid coolant quite well.
    Last edited by robmac; 2nd November 2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling
    con likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I'm with you, Steve.

I dont care how much life the gearbox oil/coolant/ brake fluid has left in it before I change it.

Jo
    Then like millions of other incorrectly informed people you are throwing money and scarce resources out of the window. Your diff and gearbox oil for instance is reclaimable just the same as engine oil. OIL DOES NOT WEAR OUT!

No need to shout, Kim, we heard you the first time.
    Maybe the base product does not wear out, but if you consider the word 'oil' to be the sum of all the ingredients (whatever they may all be????), then it does diminish in its ability to do its job over time.

Multigrade also gets thinner over time especial under high load.

I ran a little test a while back, where the oil was to be used until it reached a point where the motor blew up or something.
    The motor is fitted with a bypass filter which does a fine job of filtering the soot and other fine crap.
    By about 15k km of hard work the motor started to run a bit rough.
    Cant put my finger on why, but the oil was changed and guess what…car ran sweet again.

If you are so worried about the scarce commodity, you are preaching to the wrong people (as well as being a fithy hypocrite for buying a new car every so often)
    For starters we have the money to burn, and speaking personally, I go for hoons in my car for no other reason than to get my jollies, sometimes i even do it in a boat with a 2 stroke motor, my lawn mower is two stroke and I don't give a shit if it uses more and costs more and pollutes more.
    I use a 2 stroke leaf blower too!!!!

It is a bit arrogant to assume that only you know this basic stuff and nobody else does… I know it, i just don't care.
    I know someone will tell me I could get 2 days worth of wear out of my undies too….4 days if i turned them back to front…but I don't do that.
    Could probably wear my tyres down to nearly bald or use old tyres that are hard and will give unlimited KM…but I don't do that either.

And just to nip the 'rare commodity' line in the bud, most used oil is recycled. Mine and every bit of waste oil that go through my shed certainly is.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    No need to shout, Kim, we heard you the first time.
    Maybe the base product does not wear out, but if you consider the word 'oil' to be the sum of all the ingredients (whatever they may all be????), then it does diminish in its ability to do its job over time.

Multigrade also gets thinner over time especial under high load.

I ran a little test a while back, where the oil was to be used until it reached a point where the motor blew up or something.
    The motor is fitted with a bypass filter which does a fine job of filtering the soot and other fine crap.
    By about 15k km of hard work the motor started to run a bit rough.
    Cant put my finger on why, but the oil was changed and guess what…car ran sweet again.

If you are so worried about the scarce commodity, you are preaching to the wrong people (as well as being a fithy hypocrite for buying a new car every so often)
    For starters we have the money to burn, and speaking personally, I go for hoons in my car for no other reason than to get my jollies, sometimes i even do it in a boat with a 2 stroke motor, my lawn mower is two stroke and I don't give a shit if it uses more and costs more and pollutes more.
    I use a 2 stroke leaf blower too!!!!

It is a bit arrogant to assume that only you know this basic stuff and nobody else does… I know it, i just don't care.
    I know someone will tell me I could get 2 days worth of wear out of my undies too….4 days if i turned them back to front…but I don't do that.
    Could probably wear my tyres down to nearly bald or use old tyres that are hard and will give unlimited KM…but I don't do that either.

And just to nip the 'rare commodity' line in the bud, most used oil is recycled. Mine and every bit of waste oil that go through my shed certainly is.

Jo
    Can't argue with most of that Jo, although anyone who uses a leaf blower could be regarded as a noise polluting and irresponsible litterer. I guess leaf rakes are in the same category as hand propelled reel mowers or a set of oars.

When your business depends on the ablility to travel reliably, I don't think I'm being a filthy hypocrite for buying two new vehicles in the last forty years.

It's nice to know that you recycle your oil, everyone should make sure that theirs is. You can recycle it yourself if you can be bothered, it's not rocket science, although a personal recycling plant might not go down too well in a block of flats........

Can't argue with most of that Jo, although anyone who uses a leaf blower could be regarded as a noise polluting
    Ha!!!! You are talking to someone who plays piano accordion….

Here you go, Kim and anyone else….I've done some leg work for you.

A good read on coolants.

Learning Coolant Fundamentals

Jo

Thanks for that! It would seem from all that that there are many and varied types of coolant on offer , with competing and different technologies but the recommended coolant and change intervals for your vehicle are probably the right ones :-)

Thread Information