Renault 12 mastre cylinders
  • Register
  • Help

Default Renault 12 mastre cylinders

Just looking through ebay for a new master cylinder for my r12 there's a few different variations in cylinder design. Has anyone tried differnt cylinders and gotten differnt performance? i was looking at this one off a scenic, it appears to have the same design as the cylinder on my 12, (easy to fit the pipes) what is the best cylinder to use?

Advertisement

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Just looking through ebay for a new master cylinder for my r12 there's a few different variations in cylinder design. Has anyone tried differnt cylinders and gotten differnt performance? i was looking at this one off a scenic, it appears to have the same design as the cylinder on my 12, (easy to fit the pipes) what is the best cylinder to use?
    The best to use is the same type that you are replacing.

Remember bore size needs to be the same or you will change the pedal stroke.

there is about 4 different master cylinders for the R12 depending on the year it was made.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

While I am not sure of this; the Scenic may have metric thread and the R12 imperial.

Remember the Scenic is designed for ABS so might not be the best thing to use.
    Why change anyway, R12 master cylinders aren't that hard to find and all my R12's stopped okay.
    If you want to increase your braking put in a wagon rear axle with the bigger drums.
    More brake pad area is better then pressing harder on the existing brake pads.
    Go too far and you'll get brakes that are on or off and not much in between.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    While I am not sure of this; the Scenic may have metric thread and the R12 imperial.
    Again it depends on the year, the virage (last of the R12 range) had metric at the master cylinder and imperial at the wheels.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Thread Information