R10 / R8 Electronic Distributors
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Gordini Pervert's Avatar

Icon2 R10 / R8 Electronic Distributors

Currently I ve tried fixing the bushes off the main distributor shaft that throw out the counterweights but its not working and I CBF d_icking around with it. I just want to buy an electronic one and get it working again. then I can sell my car!!

Advertisement

So the questions I ask is
    • Has anyone installed one?
    • Which one did you buy?
    • Ebay?
    • How much?
    • Did brettr install one on his beast?

Thanking everyone in "advance" (pardon the pun)

I have a Luminition unit in my R8, works really well.

Not sure if they are still available, or what sort of price.
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

Do you mean a programmable set up or just an electronic points replacement. With the points replacement you will still want your advance mechanism with the bob weights to be working. With a programmable arrangement the advance system would have to be locked. Still sounds like you should sort the original.

I guess you are talking about a Ducellier. Maybe 20 years ago I remember rebushing the advance mechanism one with some thin copper tube pressed into place. What is happening that yours isn't able to be fixed?
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Yes Brettr installed an Ignition123 unit into his R16 engine.
    I know a couple of people who have done this. From the australian agent they are $550 (not sure if that includes GST but it probably doesn't include postage). You can get them from Europe (particularly the Netherlands), but you probably don't save much.

I've been looking at the Accuspark Stealth black box and igniter. I'll probably head down that path but it uses your existing dizzy with the bob weights disabled.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I have a Luminition unit in my R8, works really well.

Not sure if they are still available, or what sort of price.
    Cheers man

Quote Originally Posted by alan moore View Post
    Do you mean a programmable set up or just an electronic points replacement. With the points replacement you will still want your advance mechanism with the bob weights to be working. With a programmable arrangement the advance system would have to be locked. Still sounds like you should sort the original.

I guess you are talking about a Ducellier. Maybe 20 years ago I remember rebushing the advance mechanism one with some thin copper tube pressed into place. What is happening that yours isn't able to be fixed?
    Electronic Points replacement, oh ok Noted: "you will still want your advance mechanism" I looked everywhere for a bush - went to 6 places and could only find some aluminium pipe from a hobby store (not ideal I know) but it just sleeves over and gives it an Ok fit. I just thought there might be an easier option as its such a fiddley job!! Copper tubing may do a better job - never thought of that - good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Yes Brettr installed an Ignition123 unit into his R16 engine.
    I know a couple of people who have done this. From the australian agent they are $550 (not sure if that includes GST but it probably doesn't include postage). You can get them from Europe (particularly the Netherlands), but you probably don't save much.

I've been looking at the Accuspark Stealth black box and igniter. I'll probably head down that path but it uses your existing dizzy with the bob weights disabled.
    FUUUUU $550! thats half the value of the car itself! LOL

Thanks for everyones help
    so prices are...

Accuspark Stealth black box 99 Pounds
    123 ignition $550.00
    Lumenition Ignition & Lumenition Magnetronic Systems 250 Pounds

With the stealth you also need the kit that replaces the points - Accuspark do one, but also Pertronix etc will also work. That adds another $100 or so to it.

Some of these also need a different coil with a lower Ohm rating (resistance).
    KB

1000+ Posts

I had on going problems with points on my 17 TS (carbies so not the injection distributor). So I gave in and fitted another non original bit. A $350 electronic ignition. The instructions said one hour to fit but it seemed to take me that long to sort out which instructions applied and which parts of the 10 pages didn't. Another two hours and I pressed the starter. I turned the distributor a bit more and it fired up. Set the timing with a timing light and hey presto all was good. No miss, definitely better acceleration and seems to be running more smoothly. They had an interesting timing suggestion for the electronic points. You drill a hole in the distributor cap right at the number one lead. Set your timing light on the hole and the rotor arm should be just to the right or left of the of the hole (depending on direction of rotation). Because the motor was running well I didn't do it but perhaps I should it might be interesting. This just replaced the points you still need the weights. Because I have two two barrel Webers there is no vacuum advance. They have been operating since Nov 2013 with no issues.

Ah, this one again.

I have a Hot Spark kit in the R8 distributor - excellent replacement for points and capacitor goes well, but relies still upon centrifugal advance and the vacuum capsule.

They don't make a 123 distributor for the R8/R10 series but for the front engine devices that used a Sierra engine. One of our number in Geraldton tried one and none of the 12 preset advance curves worked for him. However, if you get a "Tune" version of the 123 the advance curve is fully programmable. Not sure of cost but more like $800 than $550 I think. I had one made for my Citroen CX and it is wonderful, for sure. The people who build 123 units into a Ducellier distributor that you supply are:

Marlies en Henry Hebels
    Hebels British Sportscars V.O.F.
    Scherpakkerweg 2a
    5616 HP Eindhoven
    Netherlands
    British Sportscars: Workshop for MG en Triumph, NL +31(0)402928935
    123Ignition-Conversions we convert your existing distributor with original 123ignition components
    123 ignition conversions fuhr Triumph, Ford-Lotus, MG und Saab
    Tel. +3140-2928935
    Fax +3140-2928933

They are excellent to deal with.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have restored a few of the weight's bushes, but I have a lathe. If you do not have that try and find 2 old sets of points and remove their bushes. It fits on the balance weights and they ar eodf a hard wearing fiber that should last a while. This way you will know at least if that was the issue.
    Regards
    Frans
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I have restored a few of the weight's bushes, but I have a lathe. If you do not have that try and find 2 old sets of points and remove their bushes. It fits on the balance weights and they ar eodf a hard wearing fiber that should last a while. This way you will know at least if that was the issue.
    Regards
    Frans
    Cheers! Will try!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Ah, this one again.

I have a Hot Spark kit in the R8 distributor - excellent replacement for points and capacitor goes well, but relies still upon centrifugal advance and the vacuum capsule.

They don't make a 123 distributor for the R8/R10 series but for the front engine devices that used a Sierra engine. One of our number in Geraldton tried one and none of the 12 preset advance curves worked for him. However, if you get a "Tune" version of the 123 the advance curve is fully programmable. Not sure of cost but more like $800 than $550 I think. I had one made for my Citroen CX and it is wonderful, for sure. The people who build 123 units into a Ducellier distributor that you supply are:

Marlies en Henry Hebels
    Hebels British Sportscars V.O.F.
    Scherpakkerweg 2a
    5616 HP Eindhoven
    Netherlands
    British Sportscars: Workshop for MG en Triumph, NL +31(0)402928935
    123Ignition-Conversions we convert your existing distributor with original 123ignition components
    123 ignition conversions fuhr Triumph, Ford-Lotus, MG und Saab
    Tel. +3140-2928935
    Fax +3140-2928933

They are excellent to deal with.
    Thanks for the reference!

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    With the stealth you also need the kit that replaces the points - Accuspark do one, but also Pertronix etc will also work. That adds another $100 or so to it.

Some of these also need a different coil with a lower Ohm rating (resistance).
    Noted!

thanks guys!

Well I guess I will plod on and either try and make these bushes work // try what Frans said and or rob it off another car! LOL

Thread Information