Seat belt installation
  • Register
  • Help

Default Seat belt installation

Hello all... I would like to install seat belts in my R8 tomorrow. Can anyone direct me to the optimal mounting points?

Cheers,
    Ben

Advertisement

Mine has mounting points integral with the car.

1. Three positions on the pillar to give different heights for the top mounting
    2. Thick plates welded into the floor for the lower mount bolts.

I seem to remember that the inner one, or ones, are underneath the removable undertray.

No idea what was delivered to the USA in this regard. But ours came with lap sash seat belts as a factory option.

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Agree with John for the front seats. No mounting points for the back seats from memory.
    If you have no factory mountings, I can send you a pic of where they are but with no factory reinforcement it would difficult to utilise those spots.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Agree with John for the front seats. No mounting points for the back seats from memory.
    If you have no factory mountings, I can send you a pic of where they are but with no factory reinforcement it would difficult to utilise those spots.
    Correct - completely forgot the back. I fitted a baby seat (38 years ago) in the back with what I hoped were suitable reinforcements. Way ahead of what was legally required... Lucky we never had the big accident though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks guys.. I will look for those mounting points tomorrow. I think I may remember seeing something about them in a driver's manual..... Ben

1000+ Posts

One suggestion:

Don't fit inertia reel (automatic-adjusting & retracting) seat belts. They are dangerous. Fit normal 3-point manually adjusted belts.

Reason:

All belts have their nylon webbing stretch in response to halting your body's momentum in a crash & the problem is significantly worse with an inertia reel belt compared to a "fixed" belt. This is because what locks is the spindle & there is a significantly longer stretchable belt wound around it. This fault is part of the reason for pyrotechnically operated belt tensioners in modern cars.

Of course the greater safety of a fixed belt relies on the user adjusting it properly but surely any frogger is disciplined enough to do that.

Another merit of the fixed belt is that, when adjusted firmly, it holds one in place when cornering. A significant merit in my view, at least if one has any inclination to taking advantage of the R8's inherent dynamic qualities to stir it along through the bends.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information