• 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By Sunroof
  • 2 Post By bob
  • 1 Post By Sunroof

Thread: Solex Carburetors

1000+ Posts

Default Solex Carburetors

I have been investigating carburettors for competition 4 CVs. The R1063 was fitted with a Solex 30 AA1 dual throat down draft carby. This was also used by Lancia Aurelia and Ford Pilot in slightly different forms. There is a little information about these on the web. I have details of jets etc that they used on the R1063.

Advertisement

But the factory rally cars used a "Solex 36 dual throat carburettor. This model features a concentric float chamber to eliminate fuel starvation in tight corners, the only kind you see in a rally."

So far I can find nothing about these. Perhaps I haven't dug deep enough or in the right place. The R8 Gordini used two Solex 40 dual throat side draft carbies.

My question is, does any one know any thing about either the 30 AA1 or the 36 carbies? Even a photo of the 36 or indication as to whether it was down draft or side draft would help. While I have found quite a lot of photos of different carby set ups on these cars there is no indication as to what was what.

Why a Solex ????

As much as I am a believer in Solex, they are an "out dated" carb, and spares are and have, become very difficult to find. For your application I would think the Weber from the R10S (1108cc) would be a much better item. I have used it successfully on the 850 motor and it gave great performance. And it works well with extensive head modifications as well.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    Why a Solex ????

As much as I am a believer in Solex, they are an "out dated" carb, and spares are and have, become very difficult to find. For your application I would think the Weber from the R10S (1108cc) would be a much better item. I have used it successfully on the 850 motor and it gave great performance. And it works well with extensive head modifications as well.

Ray
    Of course you are right. I have a carby off a 10S. I even have two SU's with the correct manifold that came with the car. That is not the point. What I am trying to do is replicate a 1955 class winning car from the Liege - Rome - Liege. Why? Because my 4CV was already partly built as a historic rally car, so to replicate a previous car was purely to add interest, a challenge, and to learn more about these cars. Will it be an accurate replica? No, for example it is right hand drive. I also have budget restraints so some things won't be perfectly accurate. For example. I can buy an exact copy, appearance wise, of the 30 amp generator but as an alternator. But at between $770 and $1100 it ain't gunna happen. So I made an alternator look almost like a generator. Over the top! Probably because does any one else care, no probably not. Would I spend big bucks if the correct carby was found, no. But I'd like it to look at least similar, if possible. Hence what does one look like? By the way the cars consumption was 19 to 20 miles to the US gallon. Hence they fitted a 17 gallon fuel tank in the rear passenger compartment with no fire wall.
    jaahn likes this.

Have a look through these, to see if there is anything similar to the pics you have:

*VERGASER - LISTE + SOLEX, PIERBURG, ZENITH,* WEBER, +* Ersatzteile** Carburettors

Alternately, redefine the project and produce a replica of an Australian competition 750. Then you can use the twin SUs, saves both searching hassles and money!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solex Carburetors-renault-750-gbr-877-collingrove-195x.jpg   Solex Carburetors-renault-750-gbr-877-port-wakefield-195x.jpg   Solex Carburetors-renault-750-redex-1000-1954.jpg  
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

Thanks but no Simon. I am committed. Work has been done and items purchased. There would be no challenge it is already an Aussie rally car that would all be too easy. Thank you for the lists they are excellent, great info. Found a 30 PAA1 instead of 30AA1. Looked similar. Not sure what the difference would be. The only reference to Solex code said the letter represent the features and the number on the end the version. Be interesting to know what the P represented. Still no reference to Solex 36. So no idea what it looks like.

1000+ Posts

IV JUST BEEN TRAWLING THROUGH MY CLYMERS IMPORTED CAR CARBURETOR BOOK ,CANT FIND A 30AA1 ,OR TWIN CHOKE DOWN DRAUGHT ,THERE IS NO SECTION ON LANCIA OR FORD ,THESE WERE V6 AND V8 RESPECTIVELY ,AND I SHOULD IMAGINE AT LEAST TWICE THE CAPACITY AS A 4 CV,WHAT WAS THE TWIN CHOKE FITTED TO A DOUPHINE GORDINI, TWIN SIDE DROUGHT SOLEX ON 1134 GORDINI WEBERS ON 1135, I DID HAVE A SINGLE CHOKE NICKI OFF A MAZDA BONGO VAN ON MY 4CV ,BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY ,THERES A LISTING HERE FOR A 30PICT ON VW AND THE PORSCHE START WITH 32s ALFA USED A 32PAIA TWIN DOWN DRAUGHT ,ON THERE TWIN CAMS IN SEDANS AND VANS ,PUGS

Lancia Aurelia Solex 30AAI

Scaduto: Vendo Carburatore Lancia Aurelia Solex 30 AAI (161188) Ricambi Varese

My thoughts for keeping the project moving along, given it isn't an accurate replication, is if you need a size 36 twin choke carby that is in period to look for something like a period Weber 36DCD, as used on things like an Abarth 850.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Sunroof View Post
    Of course you are right. I have a carby off a 10S. I even have two SU's with the correct manifold that came with the car. That is not the point. What I am trying to do is replicate a 1955 class winning car from the Liege - Rome - Liege. Why? Because my 4CV was already partly built as a historic rally car, so to replicate a previous car was purely to add interest, a challenge, and to learn more about these cars. Will it be an accurate replica? No, for example it is right hand drive. I also have budget restraints so some things won't be perfectly accurate. For example. I can buy an exact copy, appearance wise, of the 30 amp generator but as an alternator. But at between $770 and $1100 it ain't gunna happen. So I made an alternator look almost like a generator. Over the top! Probably because does any one else care, no probably not. Would I spend big bucks if the correct carby was found, no. But I'd like it to look at least similar, if possible. Hence what does one look like? By the way the cars consumption was 19 to 20 miles to the US gallon. Hence they fitted a 17 gallon fuel tank in the rear passenger compartment with no fire wall.
    17 GALLONS!!!! Think of the weight distribution apart from anything else. I wonder what space was left to get air to the radiator?

Agree re Geockeng's comment on the 10S carbie and equally your desire for the original. Simon's latest post on a period Weber isn't a bad compromise idea at all I reckon.

Good to hear it is moving along. Anything you need that I can help with?

Cheers

(You could also email Jean-Pierre and see what he thinks or might be able to get for you.)
    Sunroof likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Yes Simon brand new and 600 EUR. Very tempting. Then I would have to change all jets as well as make 2 venturi of 20 mm diameter. I have to say I am tempted. I do have two Dauphine carbs that I could make a manifold for. I have a photo (not real clear) of similar carbs that were used on a competition car. They then extended the carby intake into a bulge in the engine cover so they got cool air forced into the carbs. There is a photo of such a bulge on a car supposed to be in a 1954? rally. My car came with a Halda Trip Master and a home made digital timer. The timer has been binned. But the Trip Master is off to be rebuilt and new cables made. I bought a 24 hour 8 day wind up aircraft clock with sweep second hand. I now need 3 old style stop watches, on a clip board and with my magnifier lamp and roamer it will look the part. I still have my home made map lamp from the early 1960's. This is the car I should have built then instead of rallying my daily driver Vauxhall. Perhaps it could have still been reasonably competitive. Don't forget these were navigation rallies some what different to todays events, no route recce's possible then. We did do well in a club that was heavily into rally with 3 or 4 cars regularly running in national events. My girl friend at the time now my wife and I often ran controls for these national events and the drive between controls was as fast and as exciting as being in the event. As soon as a control closed it was a mad dash to get to the next one we were allocated before due opening time. One night at about midnight, freezing cold and the woman from the house we were outside had prepared hot coffee and scones for everyone including the crews who had it thrust at them as they stopped only long enough to stamp their route card. All great fun. Cannot imagine anyone being too happy to have a major rally control outside their house at midnight these days.
    Kim Luck likes this.

Allow me to poke my nose in among you Renaultphiles.
    The limiting factor with the 4CV engine would be its two inlet ports unless their is a Gordini four port conversion?
    A small Weber [DCD type] could be adapted to a fabricated manifold as would a DCOE. Oh, mustn't overlook a brace of SU's.
    The four port heads give you the choice of two DCOE's or a compound type downdraught Weber.
    Simon's Solex is a compound type [both throttles open together. No chokes used?]. Earlier mention of the Lancia Aurelia and Ford Pilot Solex's because of their fitment to V engines would be compound also.

Among my collection of oddities is a 32 PAITA Solex, I believe it came from a Mercedes, one of a pair. I've used it purely for spares.
    One Of my favourites is a Weber 28/36 DCD. Picked up at an autojumble for $50! The venturis are both 24mm which would be ideal I reckon for your purposes. The source for these were the early GT Cortina. No, mine isn't for sale.
    Among my notes I have listed a 32 DIR Weber, I think various Renault models used these. Venturis are 23 and 24.

I might add that I think the little 4CV must have been highly modified to use the carbies earlier mentioned. Definitely factory jobbies.

1000+ Posts

I agree it would be over carb'ed with these, but so are the factory R12 G carbs. For such a small capacity 2 by 2 barrel 38 or 40 mm side draft Webers would be right but the factory went with 45's. Similar to the R8 G with 2 by 2 barrel 40 mm Solex seems over the top for 1300cc. Renault seemed to over size the carbs for their sporting models back then. I have spent a couple of hours thinking about this and weighing up the pros and cons and have decided that while I like the though of exact copies of the carbs used. It might be best to use the two Dauphine down draft Solex on a home built manifold. But work hasn't started yet so I am not yet committed.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

got to delve into my youth and remember...... bugger.....

The Furd v8 side valve engines did not use a particularly big carbie, it was common practice to use three of 'em on Furd mods, ahhhh, if you could afford the manifold, adjustable jets etc. Seem to recall they were Stromberg though ?

I used one on a Standard 10 engine for a while, the later one which went on to play in the Triumph Spitfire. It gave good mixture control and MPG - and a lot more mixture for the pump.... Cortina webers were much sought after back then as well and there was a thriving trade in ones that had escaped from the factory.

BTW, my '10' was a bit different to it's mates, over-bored & sleeved to 3/16" between the holes and mini cooper pistons mated to a Spitfire Mk3 cam grind, ported with big valves & extra springs, shortie exhaust and a c/r up around 11.5. It was a lively little donk, no trouble pushing the Cortina tacho needle to the end stop....

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

I have heard of 4 amal carbs off triumph motor cycles being used , this may explain the boot lid having to be modified .pugs

I agree it would be over carb'ed with these, but so are the factory R12 G carbs. For such a small capacity 2 by 2 barrel 38 or 40 mm side draft Webers would be right but the factory went with 45's. Similar to the R8 G with 2 by 2 barrel 40 mm Solex seems over the top for 1300cc. Renault seemed to over size the carbs for their sporting models back then. I have spent a couple of hours thinking about this and weighing up the pros and cons and have decided that while I like the though of exact copies of the carbs used. It might be best to use the two Dauphine down draft Solex on a home built manifold. But work hasn't started yet so I am not yet committed.
    I used to have a twin carbie Oz-built aluminium manifold for two 22 mm downdraft Solex carbies, i.e. for early 4CV engines. Might have been Lynx or similar in name. Let me know if you want me to track it down - I gave it away so know where it is.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

got to delve into my youth and remember...... bugger.....

The Furd v8 side valve engines did not use a particularly big carbie, it was common practice to use three of 'em on Furd mods, ahhhh, if you could afford the manifold, adjustable jets etc. Seem to recall they were Stromberg though ?

I used one on a Standard 10 engine for a while, the later one which went on to play in the Triumph Spitfire. It gave good mixture control and MPG - and a lot more mixture for the pump.... Cortina webers were much sought after back then as well and there was a thriving trade in ones that had escaped from the factory.

BTW, my '10' was a bit different to it's mates, over-bored & sleeved to 3/16" between the holes and mini cooper pistons mated to a Spitfire Mk3 cam grind, ported with big valves & extra springs, shortie exhaust and a c/r up around 11.5. It was a lively little donk, no trouble pushing the Cortina tacho needle to the end stop....

cheers,
    Bob
    Wolf in sheep's clothing then. You'd think the engine was the best part of the package I imagine. Must have been fun though.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Wolf in sheep's clothing then. You'd think the engine was the best part of the package I imagine. Must have been fun though.
    Aaaah, fun ? Yep 'spose it was, no trouble beating the local Holdens in the traffic light derby, definitely fun for the younger me, and then there was the tichy drum brakes. But the older me looks back and wonders how the hell I made it old age....

cheers,
    Bob
    JohnW and jaahn like this.

1000+ Posts

I used to have a twin carbie Oz-built aluminium manifold for two 22 mm downdraft Solex carbies, i.e. for early 4CV engines. Might have been Lynx or similar in name. Let me know if you want me to track it down - I gave it away so know where it is.
    Thanks very much for the offer John but my inlet port is 28.2mm so I don't think the manifold would match. Nice thought though. I do know where there is a Solex 30 AA1 that has already been modified for a 4CV but wasn't considered successful, but I would like to give it a try. There is also a 2nd hand one for sale in Aust but price is ridiculous.

Thanks very much for the offer John but my inlet port is 28.2mm so I don't think the manifold would match. Nice thought though. I do know where there is a Solex 30 AA1 that has already been modified for a 4CV but wasn't considered successful, but I would like to give it a try. There is also a 2nd hand one for sale in Aust but price is ridiculous.
    Yes, my old manifold is a bit small for you! Good luck with the 30 AA1 - you have the 10S Weber as a good reserve option after all.

Is there any other early stuff you are chasing?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

Yes, my old manifold is a bit small for you! Good luck with the 30 AA1 - you have the 10S Weber as a good reserve option after all.

Is there any other early stuff you are chasing?
    Yes thanks there is.

A historic electric Jagaer Oil gauge similar in design to the amp meter you gave me. I have a period oil gauge with different design, and it used a pressure pipe but should be electric. A mechanical tacho with 50 mm or 60 mm dial. I have an electronic one from the era but it is a very bulky 100mm and it should be mechanical. The large fuel pump and large mechanical advance and retard dizzy I have or can bodgie up. Also 5 " driving lamps complete with bucket and chrome ring are a bit allusive. The lamps are ok as they fit most motor bikes but the adjustable bucket for them I have not found. All the rest came with the car. Actually the car came with all the instruments but mostly modern looking. Bob750 has rebuilt the correct version centre mounted speedo with new tumblers for the trip meter. I have the extra 60 litre fuel tank and the star/spider rims with 9" drums. Cut down springs, factory cars cut 40mm off the springs. Twin shockers etc are all with the car. As was the SU carbs which I could use. All the rubber mounts are new so apart from rebuilding the front suspension it pretty much only needs to be assembled and painted.
    jaahn likes this.

Yes thanks there is.

A historic electric Jagaer Oil gauge similar in design to the amp meter you gave me. I have a period oil gauge with different design, and it used a pressure pipe but should be electric. A mechanical tacho with 50 mm or 60 mm dial. I have an electronic one from the era but it is a very bulky 100mm and it should be mechanical. The large fuel pump and large mechanical advance and retard dizzy I have or can bodgie up. Also 5 " driving lamps complete with bucket and chrome ring are a bit allusive. The lamps are ok as they fit most motor bikes but the adjustable bucket for them I have not found. All the rest came with the car. Actually the car came with all the instruments but mostly modern looking. Bob750 has rebuilt the correct version centre mounted speedo with new tumblers for the trip meter. I have the extra 60 litre fuel tank and the star/spider rims with 9" drums. Cut down springs, factory cars cut 40mm off the springs. Twin shockers etc are all with the car. As was the SU carbs which I could use. All the rubber mounts are new so apart from rebuilding the front suspension it pretty much only needs to be assembled and painted.
    I'll keep the list in mind. You'll find it stops quite well with the larger drums.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

1000+ Posts

There is more information on this R1063 replica on our club forum for any one that is interested. If you become a member of the forum provide your email address and click the square at the bottom of the thread it will send you an email every time the thread is updated.

Another Project in 4CV related Forum

Thread Information