Laguna windscreen replacement - Melbourne - best product/price?
  • Register
  • Help
    IWS

Default Laguna windscreen replacement - Melbourne - best product/price?

My Laguna has suffered a strike from something, and has a rapidly spreading multi-part crack :-(
    Well beyond the point of possible repair and so I am looking for best replacement possible. Sadly I did not take out the windscreen option with my car insurance renewal so have to foot the whole bill.

I've been quoted $500 for installed replacement, with rain sensor.

Any opinions on who the best people are to do this? And what I should expect to pay? I've seen other posts here praising the work and price of Windscreen Power. Also comment on O'Briens.

Would welcome comments/suggestions.

Ian.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    My Laguna has suffered a strike from something, and has a rapidly spreading multi-part crack :-(
    Well beyond the point of possible repair and so I am looking for best replacement possible. Sadly I did not take out the windscreen option with my car insurance renewal so have to foot the whole bill.

Any opinions on who the best people are to do this? And what I should expect to pay? I've seen other posts here praising the work and price of Windscreen Power. Also comment on O'Briens.

Ian.
    Anyone but W O'B in my past experience.

They are/were consistently much higher that any other quotes I obtained.

Can't advise a supplier since the last windscreen I replaced was over 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post

Ian.
    Ring French Connection and ask David for his advice.

My only experiences with W O'B have been excellent, twice in the last 3 years, but in Perth....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Check if it's a metallic screen - most cheap ones these days are out of China and are conventional non metallic screens.

I'd be perfecty happy with this, but something to note.

Fellow Frogger!

We use mr windscreen at work. Have been pleased with their work, we replace a couple of windscreens a year.

IWS

So I now have three prices to consider. WindscreenPower $350, RACV Auto Glass $636, via my mechanic $500.

The RACV option is acoustic glass (I had to look it up as I didn't know what that was). I'm guessing that the $350 option is not acoustic. Does the noise reduction in the acoustic screen make enough difference to justify the extra cost?

Ian.

I have seen lots of unhappy bunnies re the rain sensor not working across a range of models, post-replacement of the glass.

My feeling is, the sensor brackets are often not correctly bonded to the new glass and this means the gel pads do not carry light so well (because the brackets don't pull the sensor up tight as they should), affecting their response.

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I have seen lots of unhappy bunnies re the rain sensor not working across a range of models, post-replacement of the glass.

My feeling is, the sensor brackets are often not correctly bonded to the new glass and this means the gel pads do not carry light so well (because the brackets don't pull the sensor up tight as they should), affecting their response.
    Is this problem to do with the fitting, or the (quality of) the replacement screen itself?

It's the fitting of the screen, more specifically what the sensor brackets are bonded with - if it's the rectangular Bosch sensor with two separate gel pads. The brackets need to be darned near on the glass, not floating on almost a mil of highly elastic polyurethane.

Fellow Frogger!

I used National Windscreens for a Megane sedan a few years ago and my Mx5's twice in the last few tears. Good price and service(Geelong, Vic) but may be worth a try, good luck.

Peter
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

In 53 years of driving my own and other persons cars and trucks I have never had to replace a windscreen via windscreen insurance. In fact, this year I reneged on the windscreen replacement option on my insurance because I figure after all these years the odds are in my favour. The insurance companies are well in front of us in that regard!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

IWS

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    In 53 years of driving my own and other persons cars and trucks I have never had to replace a windscreen via windscreen insurance. In fact, this year I reneged on the windscreen replacement option on my insurance because I figure after all these years the odds are in my favour. The insurance companies are well in front of us in that regard!
    I followed similar logic - and opted out of the windscreen insurance option ($70 extra p.a.). Have never had to replace a broken screen in 42 years of car ownership. Now, twice in a year I have windscreen damage - the Megane and now the Laguna. I have now taken out the windscreen option (too late to help here) but maybe I should stick with the self-insurance approach?

Ian.

That's my attitude to road service, too. After three years you've more or less paid the equivalent to 200km of ad-hoc towing.

Thread Information