Laguna windscreen replacement - Melbourne - best product/price?
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    IWS
    IWS is offline
    1000+ Posts IWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hawthorn East, Vic.
    Posts
    1,306

    Default Laguna windscreen replacement - Melbourne - best product/price?

    My Laguna has suffered a strike from something, and has a rapidly spreading multi-part crack :-(
    Well beyond the point of possible repair and so I am looking for best replacement possible. Sadly I did not take out the windscreen option with my car insurance renewal so have to foot the whole bill.

    I've been quoted $500 for installed replacement, with rain sensor.

    Any opinions on who the best people are to do this? And what I should expect to pay? I've seen other posts here praising the work and price of Windscreen Power. Also comment on O'Briens.

    Would welcome comments/suggestions.

    Ian.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    19,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    My Laguna has suffered a strike from something, and has a rapidly spreading multi-part crack :-(
    Well beyond the point of possible repair and so I am looking for best replacement possible. Sadly I did not take out the windscreen option with my car insurance renewal so have to foot the whole bill.

    I've been quoted $500 for installed replacement, with rain sensor.

    Any opinions on who the best people are to do this? And what I should expect to pay? I've seen other posts here praising the work and price of Windscreen Power. Also comment on O'Briens.

    Would welcome comments/suggestions.

    Ian.
    Anyone but W O'B in my past experience.

    They are/were consistently much higher that any other quotes I obtained.

    Can't advise a supplier since the last windscreen I replaced was over 15 years ago.

  3. #3
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IWS View Post
    My Laguna has suffered a strike from something, and has a rapidly spreading multi-part crack :-(
    Well beyond the point of possible repair and so I am looking for best replacement possible. Sadly I did not take out the windscreen option with my car insurance renewal so have to foot the whole bill.

    I've been quoted $500 for installed replacement, with rain sensor.

    Any opinions on who the best people are to do this? And what I should expect to pay? I've seen other posts here praising the work and price of Windscreen Power. Also comment on O'Briens.

    Would welcome comments/suggestions.

    Ian.
    Ring French Connection and ask David for his advice.

    My only experiences with W O'B have been excellent, twice in the last 3 years, but in Perth....
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts Haakon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    canberra...
    Posts
    8,748

    Default

    Check if it's a metallic screen - most cheap ones these days are out of China and are conventional non metallic screens.

    I'd be perfecty happy with this, but something to note.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    932

    Default

    We use mr windscreen at work. Have been pleased with their work, we replace a couple of windscreens a year.

  6. #6
    IWS
    IWS is offline
    1000+ Posts IWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hawthorn East, Vic.
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    So I now have three prices to consider. WindscreenPower $350, RACV Auto Glass $636, via my mechanic $500.

    The RACV option is acoustic glass (I had to look it up as I didn't know what that was). I'm guessing that the $350 option is not acoustic. Does the noise reduction in the acoustic screen make enough difference to justify the extra cost?

    Ian.

  7. #7
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    I have seen lots of unhappy bunnies re the rain sensor not working across a range of models, post-replacement of the glass.

    My feeling is, the sensor brackets are often not correctly bonded to the new glass and this means the gel pads do not carry light so well (because the brackets don't pull the sensor up tight as they should), affecting their response.

  8. #8
    IWS
    IWS is offline
    1000+ Posts IWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hawthorn East, Vic.
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I have seen lots of unhappy bunnies re the rain sensor not working across a range of models, post-replacement of the glass.

    My feeling is, the sensor brackets are often not correctly bonded to the new glass and this means the gel pads do not carry light so well (because the brackets don't pull the sensor up tight as they should), affecting their response.
    Is this problem to do with the fitting, or the (quality of) the replacement screen itself?

  9. #9
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    It's the fitting of the screen, more specifically what the sensor brackets are bonded with - if it's the rectangular Bosch sensor with two separate gel pads. The brackets need to be darned near on the glass, not floating on almost a mil of highly elastic polyurethane.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Geelong,Vic
    Posts
    228

    Default

    I used National Windscreens for a Megane sedan a few years ago and my Mx5's twice in the last few tears. Good price and service(Geelong, Vic) but may be worth a try, good luck.

    Peter
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts Kim Luck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Aus.
    Posts
    17,957

    Default

    In 53 years of driving my own and other persons cars and trucks I have never had to replace a windscreen via windscreen insurance. In fact, this year I reneged on the windscreen replacement option on my insurance because I figure after all these years the odds are in my favour. The insurance companies are well in front of us in that regard!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

  12. #12
    IWS
    IWS is offline
    1000+ Posts IWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hawthorn East, Vic.
    Posts
    1,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    In 53 years of driving my own and other persons cars and trucks I have never had to replace a windscreen via windscreen insurance. In fact, this year I reneged on the windscreen replacement option on my insurance because I figure after all these years the odds are in my favour. The insurance companies are well in front of us in that regard!
    I followed similar logic - and opted out of the windscreen insurance option ($70 extra p.a.). Have never had to replace a broken screen in 42 years of car ownership. Now, twice in a year I have windscreen damage - the Megane and now the Laguna. I have now taken out the windscreen option (too late to help here) but maybe I should stick with the self-insurance approach?

    Ian.

  13. #13
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    That's my attitude to road service, too. After three years you've more or less paid the equivalent to 200km of ad-hoc towing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •