• Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By IThompson
  • 1 Post By IThompson
  • 1 Post By IThompson

Thread: Renault megane gt hire car experience

Default Renault megane gt hire car experience

G'day,

I am travelling down south west vic in a hire car again. This time hertz offered me a renault megane gt. A very nice car in the same hire price range as a toyota corolla.

A very nice drive. It has enough power which is hard to get your head around as it is powered by a turbo 1.2L engine.
    The metalic blue looks special as does the comfortable leather sports hugging seats. The seats were even more comfortable once i worked out how to turn the seat heating off. Not good on a sunny day.

Advertisement

It has lots of electronics some of which took a while to find and understand.

The large low profile tyres gripped nicely and it seed to corner well. Unfortunately i was mostly driving on the highway with little opportunity to challenge the cornering ability. With moderately stiff suspension came the harsh bumps of driving B grade regional highways. It was a little tiring for 4 hrs of bumps.

To be fair I previously had a Citroen Xantia VSX so everything is harsh since.

The auto - manual gearbox works well but i am old fashioned and miss the clutch and gear leaver.

Overall a great drive and i will definitely ask for another renault megane next time.

Ian
    R12 tragic
    DrRenaultsport, niks and Kenfuego like this.

Thanks Ian for letting us know about this... I might have to get one next time I need to hire a car (not some Get Go shopping trolley). How did the turbo go?

1000+ Posts

Our local Renault agent "hires" a car for you to use while you get a service if it takes awhile. I think for about $18 per day. I took in daughter in laws Megane 225 for a timing belt change etc. They gave me a Clio with the 1200cc engine and turbo. After the 225 it was a bit gutless but drove beautifully. Smooth and quiet. Seemed more like a big car than a small one. I was very impressed. Yes I missed some of the fancy things I am used to on the Lattitude. But I would buy one if I was in the market for a smaller car particularly if I regularly drove in the city and suburbs.

Gday all,

I just got back from port fairy. A long drive but i broke it up with a meal.

Again the long highway drive is a little harsh but tollerable in the renault megane gt.

The 1.2L turbo is brilliant. Not a lot of peak power but a very wide usable power range. At 100kmph in 6th it would be reving less than 2000rpm. As low as 1500 rpm it would still have sufficient pull. The turbo doesn't have the high reving punch of some cars instead it feels more like a medium sized naturally aspirated engine.

I took a detour to some familiar wiggly roads. I then ran out of superlatives to describe the handling. On the highway it is nice but nothing overly special. On the wiggles it is magic. The major limitation in cornering was me not the car. I took some familiar corners quickly but the car did not even sweat or squeal. It just said ho hum is that all you can do. I certainly was not prepared to try harder on public roads.

I guess that the very grippy tires and stiff suspension could have a downside.
    Correct me if my assumptions are incorrect, i assume that the cornering limit will be very high but margin of error / warning of impending slip would be small. Resulting in very sudden loss of sideways grip, potentially hazardous to inexperienced drivers.

If i was in the market for a new car i would definitely get one. It is brilliant.
    In the meantime i will enjoy hiring them for work trips.

Ian

Ps. The other downside to hiring a renault megane gt is coming home to a renault 12 gl.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IThompson View Post
    Gday all,I just got back from port fairy. A long drive but i broke it up with a meal.Again the long highway drive is a little harsh but tollerable in the renault megane gt.The 1.2L turbo is brilliant. Not a lot of peak power but a very wide usable power range. At 100kmph in 6th it would be reving less than 2000rpm. As low as 1500 rpm it would still have sufficient pull. The turbo doesn't have the high reving punch of some cars instead it feels more like a medium sized naturally aspirated engine.I took a detour to some familiar wiggly roads. I then ran out of superlatives to describe the handling. On the highway it is nice but nothing overly special. On the wiggles it is magic. The major limitation in cornering was me not the car. I took some familiar corners quickly but the car did not even sweat or squeal. It just said ho hum is that all you can do. I certainly was not prepared to try harder on public roads.I guess that the very grippy tires and stiff suspension could have a downside.Correct me if my assumptions are incorrect, i assume that the cornering limit will be very high but margin of error / warning of impending slip would be small. Resulting in very sudden loss of sideways grip, potentially hazardous to inexperienced drivers. If i was in the market for a new car i would definitely get one. It is brilliant. In the meantime i will enjoy hiring them for work trips.IanPs. The other downside to hiring a renault megane gt is coming home to a renault 12 gl.
    I think that the standard ESP would have intervened had you made a real cock-up of your driving....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Some are so utterly seamless, they can be hammering away and the average driver is unaware of just how hard it's working to save their bacon.

I think i would want to know if the ESP (Extra Stupidity Protection) was being activated. Just so i could adjust my driving.

The R12 has a special cornering warning system. When the car leans so much that the wing mirrors scrape the ground then you know you have reached the limit.

Ian
    Kenfuego likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

How did you find the road(tyre) noise?

I have a GT line Megane Diesel with 11000 klms and love it except for the road noise.Tested against a standard Megane on 16 inch tyres it is about 10 DB noisier in the cabin and against other GT Lines 5 DB.Renault did another test after being involved in the first one and said it was the same as other GTLine Meganes and were happy to provide their data that showed it at around 80 DB which is bloody loud!!

Getting back to the 1.2 turbo which is 88KW in the Clio and 98 in the Megane it is an amazing engine.You can get a 98KW 6 speed manual in the base Megane vs 88KW auto in a Clio so the base Megane is great value .Just imagine if the Clio had the more powerful 1.2 6 speed manual combo!Currently only the .9 ltr is available as a manual and even it is a surprising drive.

Glad you enjoyed your Megane experience.

Peter
    Last edited by pclio; 16th October 2014 at 06:07 PM.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Hi Ian,
    If you like the Megane GT but would prefer a manual then try and get your hands on the GT220. Manual only and a 2 litre Turbo. Goes like stink and as I said to the wife when I bought mine home "What do you mean sports car? It's just a family wagon".
    Not sure she believed me :-)
    ...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
    Hi Ian,
    If you like the Megane GT but would prefer a manual then try and get your hands on the GT220. Manual only and a 2 litre Turbo. Goes like stink and as I said to the wife when I bought mine home "What do you mean sports car? It's just a family wagon".
    Not sure she believed me :-)
    ...Paul
    Yes and the new range GT220 is available as both a wagon and a hatch where it was previously only a wagon.

Peter.
    Current 2015 Clio Sport RS200 ND MX5, prev Megane Gt Line diesel hatch,Laguna 111 diesel, Lag 11 diesel,lag 11 V6,clio x2 ,Megane sedan;R10'and 12's x heaps.

Thread Information