Update on temporary cessation of V6 Laguna.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Update on temporary cessation of V6 Laguna.

1000+ Posts

Default Update on temporary cessation of V6 Laguna.

AS you know my beloved 2002 V6 Laguna has done over 300k of travel, but at a time I was laid up with a dose of the dreaded ever repeating lurgi, flu or whatever, the Laguna sprung a bad leak to the radiator. By constantly refilling the rad with water we limped to a spot where the RACV could tow it home.

There is sat in sad silent neglect with the ignoble thing of being replaced by a Megane Diesel as the good ladies reliable travel. I thought the Megane would be very pedestrian after the Laguna, but surprisingly it is just as resourceful at Highway speeds and around the city and the fuel bill is very economical on the type of trips she does.

Anyway this week I had a warm day, no rain and felt well enough to pull the radiator out, took a while to figure out how to do that, and probably undid more stuff than I had to, but it all but dropped out in the end.

Pressure had apparently blown out a large piece of the phenolic ? plastic tank on the passenger side of the radiator, and in the process of removing the upper hose, that inlet crumbled, the material is very degraded. I had made some preliminary enquiries about sourcing a second hand radiator, but after looking at the crumbly state of the phenolic material a new one would be better, but expensive.

I was given some information that it might be possible to have new end tanks fitted to the old core, but on making enquiries at a Natrad radiator repair place they were able to source a brand new same number as original BEHR -Hella replacement and the price was very reasonable, about what I thought I might have to pay for a good secondhand one.

Advertisement

So good news - now all I have to do is find time to put the new one back into the car, am waiting on No1 Son as it might be easier to lift it in assembled with the oil cooler clipped in place and the fans in place - really a two man job (now that I am a feeble oldie!!) and that might stop me swearing it in! and losing more skin than I should.

I'll try and post a pic of the damage etc. It really shows up what we were discussing on another thread, that you can pay out for repairs and a week later something else will crop up, and you have to be prepared for aging bits to give up the ghost, (I even checked out the belts idlers and harmonic balancer rubber, just in case )

Fingers crossed as I like driving that car and it is set up to tow, so good as a second car and comfortable.

Would not have taken much pressure to blow out the segment like it did, especially considering the state of the plastic deterioration. Will check the pressure and thermostats once the new radiator is installed.

Any tips welcomed.

KenUpdate on temporary cessation of V6 Laguna.-laguna-radiator-hole.jpgUpdate on temporary cessation of V6 Laguna.-new-old-radiators.jpgUpdate on temporary cessation of V6 Laguna.-new-behr-radiator-lable.jpg

COL

Hi Ken

Its a real worry when a radiator core is looking like out lasting the end tanks, although your car is 12 years old it has gone past its design life.

With my Laguna 1 it is a major job extracting the radiator with plenty of bolts to undo.

when you get the new radiator in your car will be ready for another 300,000 K's of service.
    Kenfuego likes this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

Ken,

Laguna is probably twice the age the manufacturer intended it to last.
    Plastics - especially French - won't last the distance.
    Just consider yourself lucky you can get new bits for it still.
    At what point are you going to retire it?
    Park it behind the Fuego, buy a new radiator - just in case, or move it on.
    It's going to get cranky, now that it knows the Megane is there.
    Kenfuego likes this.

That radiator plastic is really susceptible to UV light. You probably opened the bonnet a few too many times!
    Kenfuego and Fordman like this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

con
    Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    AS you know my beloved 2002 V6 Laguna has done over 300k of travel, but at a time I was laid up with a dose of the dreaded ever repeating lurgi, flu or whatever, the Laguna sprung a bad leak to the radiator. By constantly refilling the rad with water we limped to a spot where the RACV could tow it home.

There is sat in sad silent neglect with the ignoble thing of being replaced by a Megane Diesel as the good ladies reliable travel. I thought the Megane would be very pedestrian after the Laguna, but surprisingly it is just as resourceful at Highway speeds and around the city and the fuel bill is very economical on the type of trips she does.

Anyway this week I had a warm day, no rain and felt well enough to pull the radiator out, took a while to figure out how to do that, and probably undid more stuff than I had to, but it all but dropped out in the end.

Pressure had apparently blown out a large piece of the phenolic ? plastic tank on the passenger side of the radiator, and in the process of removing the upper hose, that inlet crumbled, the material is very degraded. I had made some preliminary enquiries about sourcing a second hand radiator, but after looking at the crumbly state of the phenolic material a new one would be better, but expensive.

I was given some information that it might be possible to have new end tanks fitted to the old core, but on making enquiries at a Natrad radiator repair place they were able to source a brand new same number as original BEHR -Hella replacement and the price was very reasonable, about what I thought I might have to pay for a good secondhand one.

So good news - now all I have to do is find time to put the new one back into the car, am waiting on No1 Son as it might be easier to lift it in assembled with the oil cooler clipped in place and the fans in place - really a two man job (now that I am a feeble oldie!!) and that might stop me swearing it in! and losing more skin than I should.

I'll try and post a pic of the damage etc. It really shows up what we were discussing on another thread, that you can pay out for repairs and a week later something else will crop up, and you have to be prepared for aging bits to give up the ghost, (I even checked out the belts idlers and harmonic balancer rubber, just in case )

Fingers crossed as I like driving that car and it is set up to tow, so good as a second car and comfortable.

Would not have taken much pressure to blow out the segment like it did, especially considering the state of the plastic deterioration. Will check the pressure and thermostats once the new radiator is installed.

Any tips welcomed.

Ken

12 years is not bad for a radiator; our Toyota RAV4 radiator also died when it turned 12 (coolant replaced every two years).

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by con View Post
    12 years is not bad for a radiator; our Toyota RAV4 radiator also died when it turned 12 (coolant replaced every two years).
    Core seems to be in excellent condition apart from the squashed grasshoppers impaled on the fins, the non availability of the tanks is the main issue to make it re-useable instead of consumer trash. Probably too expensive to computer digital print those components though in a more resilient plastic.

Glad the new replacement radiator was able to be sourced at a reasonable price, might be a few older Laguna's need them.

Ken.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    Hi Ken

Its a real worry when a radiator core is looking like out lasting the end tanks, although your car is 12 years old it has gone past its design life.

With my Laguna 1 it is a major job extracting the radiator with plenty of bolts to undo.

when you get the new radiator in your car will be ready for another 300,000 K's of service.
    Hope so Col, also the V6 radiator is wider than the early 4 cyl, and those thinner radiators were available starting at $150 to $175 tops.

and yes lots of bolts undone, hope I get them back correctly!

Hope you don't need one mate.

Ken

Tadpole

300k, I'd be happy if I can reach that milestone with the 2003 model I have which has 170k on the clock, best of luck to you and hope some rubs off on mine.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Ken
    Like Clint Eastwood said "Man's gotta know his limitations"
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Making my day

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post

Sure do, but then sometimes the stubborn cuss in your inner self drives you to do things that aging tells you is outside those limitations, and you pay for that with a few more aches, pains and grumbles that nobody wants to hear

Then again no need to rush things if you believe that all good things come to those that wait, or some such other procrastination rubbish.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    Didn't somebody say "there is no limit to human stupidity"??
    bluemoon likes this.

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Thanks Jo!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Didn't somebody say "there is no limit to human stupidity"??
    Coming from a fellow "Fuegophile" that is some statement.

Ken

Yes ken , i thought you'd realise my pedegree of 'extending those limits'.
    Kenfuego likes this.

Was that hole blown out at top or bottom of radiator, Ken? Coolant would have dropped out in seconds if at the bottom, hope you noticed it in time to prevent engine damage. Problem with large hole at bottom of rad, or bottom hose blowout, is coolant drops out quickly, temp gauge usually registers slight drop in temp as it is now in mid-air, and doesn't indicate overheat until metal around it heats up - too late. However, if you had a coolant level indicator, all would be OK, if you stopped immediately. I am an advocate of coolant level indication in every car - should be mandatory!

Good Luck.
    JoBo likes this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

My Mi16 has its original rad which is now about 24 years old. I wonder if they've stopped using fibre reinforcement in the plastic in these later rads?

On saying that, mine has just developed a tiny weep in one of the seams - a join between two plastic parts which is held together with an aluminium C profiled extrusion. But that would be the adhesive letting go rather than the plastic itself. It may even be able to be repaired.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    Was that hole blown out at top or bottom of radiator, Ken? Coolant would have dropped out in seconds if at the bottom, hope you noticed it in time to prevent engine damage. Problem with large hole at bottom of rad, or bottom hose blowout, is coolant drops out quickly, temp gauge usually registers slight drop in temp as it is now in mid-air, and doesn't indicate overheat until metal around it heats up - too late. However, if you had a coolant level indicator, all would be OK, if you stopped immediately. I am an advocate of coolant level indication in every car - should be mandatory!

Good Luck.
    Do you know of a good one, Fordman?
    I had a top radiator hose blow on a Datsun 2000 Sport in the middle of SA (20 km from Kimba). No warning on the temp gauge, only steam from under the bonnet - too late.
    Was towed back to Kimba. Head had to be sent to Adelaide to press it flat because it was too warped for a skimm.

"The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    My Mi16 has its original rad which is now about 24 years old. I wonder if they've stopped using fibre reinforcement in the plastic in these later rads?

On saying that, mine has just developed a tiny weep in one of the seams - a join between two plastic parts which is held together with an aluminium C profiled extrusion. But that would be the adhesive letting go rather than the plastic itself. It may even be able to be repaired.
    Almost certainly. I've had the tanks off the R19 radiators and re-sealed them using Threebond from Bursons. Expensive Japanese stuff but it seems to last.
    Last edited by JoBo; 11th October 2014 at 09:17 PM. Reason: add
    Stephen Hawking

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post

Good Luck.
    Chris

Was in the top passenger side of the radiator, couldn't see where the leak was coming from, we were all loaded up with food, tables and salad rolls to be made up for the Swedish Football team. I was crook with the Lurgi but lucky that I was driving when it happened as if my good lady was driving, it might have been curtains for the engine if she had pressed on without topping up the now unpressurized system. Blew out in Victoria Street just near the exhibition gardens. fortunately we were carrying plenty of water, so I just kept hopping out trickling water into the system and then drive till steam issued forth, pull to the side of the road fill and move off, didn't stop the engine, drove carefully and tried to avoid stops in the traffic, arrived at the top end of Carlton in a flurry of steam and no more water. Got towed home, then it was trusty Fuego while I recovered, well enough to buy the Megane - walked in test drove two cars and bought the second one with SWMBO's approval.

Sure cuts the endless test drive and bargaining process! and the Renault Dealer staff were really good at Essendon Renault, couldn't fault the low pressure sales approach or the pricing. Almost painless and in reality a pleasant experience - recommend them.
    niks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBo View Post
    Do you know of a good one, Fordman?
    Yeah - A man walks into a bar and ..........................

Sorry, you mean a level indicator - I think VDO still make one, but probably cheaper ones around. Some radiators have spare plugged hole for level sensor, otherwise need to drill about a 10mm hole in top tank (or top of side tank). Needs a module to activate warning light when circuit is open, but maybe a simple relay would do the trick. Never have ascertained whether putting a low current connection into the coolant is good for anodic/cathodic reaction in corrosion. Most modern car sensors are in the separate header bottle, and are float operated, which removes the current from the equation I suppose.

The VDO is meant for trucks, comes with 2" dia red warning light, and a beeper which is quite loud, I suppose you could use a smaller warning light if you wanted.

BTW, In early 1980's had a bro-in-law's Datsun 180B with overheating, head gasket blown. Like yours, head required machining, was warped up in the centre when placed on the bench. Problem was having to knock the camshaft out with a drift due to the bent head when removed from block. As it was a family car (cheapness required with little or no guarantee) I removed the bolted on camshaft supports and had the head ground top and bottom. Worked a treat, cam ran freely when re-assembled.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

1000+ Posts

Thanks, Fordman!
    Since that SA drama i've just changed radiator hoses when i thought they were getting a bit old. Rather than going for originals from a stealer i just go to the back of Bursons and find a close match.
    A float level indicator would be ideal a la the oil level indicator on the dash of the R19.
    Stephen Hawking

COL

Hope so Col, also the V6 radiator is wider than the early 4 cyl, and those thinner radiators were available starting at $150 to $175 tops.

and yes lots of bolts undone, hope I get them back correctly!

Hope you don't need one mate.

Ken
    My radiator was replaced 7 years ago for the cost of around $1000 when a stray wallaby hopped out in from the car.

I was lucky, the insurance company picked up the tab for it
    Kenfuego and markb2501 like this.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

So, Ken... Has the lad come good and rendered assistance to complete the job?

1000+ Posts

Icon10 Time poor at the moment Addo, but I guess I can wait!!..

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    So, Ken... Has the lad come good and rendered assistance to complete the job?
    No, he had one knee operated on recently and that was so successful he is getting the other one done and presently rushing around getting everything done - err that didn't include volunteering to provide an extra set of hands and as I have a few things that I have to do in the meantime, no rush to install the radiator that is parked in front of the piano patiently waiting on my procrastination and commitments like attending funerals, looking after family and five minutes here and there checking up on you guys...

Was a perfect day today, but helping my good lady with garden chores, fixing running taps for the lady down the street, have all taken precedence over my stuff. And a few round-tuit issues that I had to do for others too, retired normality I have to say.

I have to keep the good lady happy as she doubles as my extra pair of hands -part of her lifelong commitment too

Ken

1000+ Posts

Well after a lot of pure procrastination, I finally grabbed the round-tuit and put the radiator back in, I had filled the system with coolant and sealed both radiator hoses with some old film canisters (right size) and this meant I could move the car short distances, start it up etc. so many days were too wet, too warm, all sorts of excuses anyway finally got to it and put the radiator back in place, had to call on the good lady to feed a long leather belt around the radiator and pull the radiator up to the top strut and I held the radiator in position while she punched a new hole in the belt to hold it in the right position.

Now that was the easy part

1000+ Posts

Well after a lot of pure procrastination, I finally grabbed the round-tuit and put the radiator back in, I had filled the system with coolant and sealed both radiator hoses with some old film canisters (right size) and this meant I could move the car short distances, start it up etc. so many days were too wet, too warm, all sorts of excuses anyway finally got to it and put the radiator back in place, had to call on the good lady to feed a long leather belt around the radiator and pull the radiator up to the top strut and I held the radiator in position while she punched a new hole in the belt to hold it in the right position.

Now that was the easy part- The hard part is dealing with a stop and go Aussie Frogs.

will post later when the connection might be better.....3 lost posts....

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information