R17 R12 balance bar
  • Register
  • Help

Default R17 R12 balance bar

Hi

I am fixing up a R17 and it has the balance bar with counterweights that runs across the front of the engine and connects to the engine mounts presumably to dampen engine vibration.

My question is as some of the rubber bushes are knackered, rather than try to renew it has
    anyone dispensed with the whole system and if so has it made any difference? Has vibration been a problem?

Advertisement

Cheers

Damien
    85 Fuego
    77 R12 wagon
    82 R20TS
    60 Dauphine
    04 Scenic

1000+ Posts

I have tried cars with and without and really can't say I have noticed any difference. Having said that I have them fitted to my R15 and 17. I am a great believer in the following...... The factory would not have fitted them if they weren't of value as they would not add unnecessary bits that cost money. They were always trying to keep prices down.

As far as I am aware they were not fitted to R16's perhaps because they were mounted differently using different mounting types and locations.

interestingly I have never found damaged ones. The shaft needs to be held with vice grips when undoing or tightening the nuts.

Vibration may not be a problem for car occupants, but it may be for all the rubbers supporting the engine/g'box AND exhaust system assembly. Given where these supports are, I would say the two weights are there to balance the weight of the whole system which otherwise would be too heavy aft of the main engine mounts (the left-right big ones).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

My experience with an R17 powered R12 is that you may notice
    a resonance within the cabin between 100 and 110 KPH without
    the damper weights.
    It could be annoying if you prefer not to drive under the highway limit,
    and it may encourage you to speed.
    If you don't experience any detrimental effects, leave them off.

1000+ Posts

Even with them on you still get a vibration between 100 and 105 kph. Perhaps it is less severe. Back in the 1980's I spent a lot of time and trouble trying to get rid of this vibration in my auto R15. Even getting motor balanced, fitting a manual gearbox, and fitting the flexible exhaust that an R17TS/G has. All to no avail. If I was you I would fit the flexible exhaust as I feel that this does reduce the vibration a bit. I also had an original set of engine mounts for an R15/17 and they also made a difference to the R12 style that are normally available and fitted these days. Perhaps if all of the rubber was new and original in style (including the balance bar rubber) then that vibration wouldn't be there. Although it is a complaint that road testers in the 70's complained about in the car.

Thread Information