VW's A110 (or Djet?)
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 68 404

Thread: VW's A110 (or Djet?)

1000+ Posts

Default VW's A110 (or Djet?)

For my taste, the most tantalising offering at the Paris show was from VW.

VW reveals 167mph Ducati-engined XL Sport concept | Autocar

I just hope the handling is entertaining & that VW has managed to better its usual efforts & given it feelful steering. I also hope that there's a business case for it.

Advertisement

Surely Renault can manage something using the Twingo platform (although it would need radical resetting of the horrible sounding standard suspension set-up).

How I wish Carlos Tavares was still at the helm as an internal champion for this sort of thing.

cheers! Peter

My initial reaction was that the engine is too small for a performance car, but then I considered that a 1134 Gordini had a smaller engine with about half the power and no aerodynamics, and that was considered a fast car!

I like it.

Henry

I do like the styling compared to the Renault RS.01 it is more practical. But still it is not an A110, it is a A310 at +850kg, and not that good in that it is a carbon tub. I do suppose that a car of that size fits more people, though. I would like to see a A110 size car in all the fancy materials at about 600kg with that motor, that would be impressive.

Thinking out loud again !!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

After converting their figures, 197BHP (146kW) and top speed of 167 mph (269km/h) I would probably have to say bullshit. 890kg isn't heavy, but compared to the donor bike it's elephantine. Plus there's the minor matter of torque; something a sports twin doesn't have a lot of in the scheme of things.

I guess the top speed is theoretical, so why not spruik it on something that will never be built?

Dave

PS You know, I first saw the word 'elephantine' in an Enid Blyton book when I was about 7.
    1. I have never seen it since.
    2. I never thought I would ever be able to use it in a sentence. Happy days!
    Last edited by 68 404; 5th October 2014 at 12:34 PM.
    peujohn likes this.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

I'm inclined to believe that 167mph claim. It's drag factor of .258 is low. I remember the Calibra Turbo had a factor of .29 and it could just hit 150mph with 201BHP.
    Last edited by dvr; 5th October 2014 at 01:40 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dvr View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that 167mph claim. It's drag factor of .258 is low. I remember the Calibra Turbo had a factor of .29 and it could just hit 150mph with 201BHP.
    It impressed me too. It's even better than my Djet's .26; mind you, the narrow Djet's CdA would be better.

cheers! Peter

Chuck the V-Twin, add Golf R engine and stir.

Thread Information