Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Frans
  • 1 Post By dauphproto
  • 1 Post By Frans
  • 1 Post By 63-1092

Thread: Classic Car Racing.

Default Classic Car Racing.

Hi All,

I thought it would be worthwhile mentioning this fact here on AF. I bought an APP for my phone the other day (costing me $5 a year) and it will give me my results instantly with my best lap time. That includes all the other races and racers as well. I started looking at other classes and their times and it was with a shock that I realised the following.

Being in Classic racing doesn't mean you're slow! There were times when I felt bad and irritated coming in 10th or 14th or worse and realising that there is a zero chance of ever winning a race. I can/could only compare myself with the regulars I race with until I started looking on this APP. It is with a pleasant surprise that I noticed that if I was to race with the 2000 BMW Open Class I would have been 7th out of 14. Now that aint so bad hey? That means that all the other participants in our series are not slow at all and that we are up there and close to the modern multi valve DOHC fuel injected computerised expensive stuff.

I will be looking with a different attitude at Classic cars from now on and at my meagre race positions.

Advertisement

Regards
    Frans
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Hi Frans,
    When I lived in Jo'berg, I used to help a few guys run modified rear engined Renaults at Kyalami in Castrol clubmans. Our 2 strong cars were an R8G and an R10 both with 16TS motors, and they were run on a budget just like you guys. VW brought out the Golf GTi series for a while to promote the GTi and all the thing was how fast they were and how well they cornered, etc, etc, etc. And we were frowned on with our clubmans.

At the beginning of a new season we went to a tuning day and all the saloons ran at the same time. 25 cars on the track at the same time. With the 12 fastest Golfs in our group, the Gordini was 3rd and the R10 was 6th. Nobody talked about how slow ore Junk Yard dogs were after that, 1600cc on carbs and road tyres, not shabby at all.

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

There is an issue here that modern cars are very heavy,which is kinda self defeating in motor racing. I have noticed that the more modern formulas that run locally here are slower or not much quicker than I was. The quickest cars in the Classics in Scotland are some of the fastest cars on track
    and sound the best
    cheers
    JohnW likes this.
    Well if it was easy everybody would do it

Of course they sound best. They run side draft carbs!
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

While on the subject of Classics. Big news in the Classic Car Racing scene here in NZ!

In January NZ is celebrating and having the Howden Ganley Festival. It is an international event similar to the previous festivals of Bruce McLaren, Chris Amon, Ferrari etc. and we were invited to take part as a support racing group. The festival and racing is plentiful and takes place over three days on January 23, 24, 25. It will be 6 races for us.

Howden Ganley has some links to Aus in that he and Tim Schenken raced together and joined forces to to form the Tiga Race Cars construction company. He and Francois Cevert came 2nd in the Matra-Simca in the 1972 Le Mans and he won a few other trophies and took part in 41 championship F1 races. He made a name for himself in the F5000 series as well.

I am thrilled because although I am just a backstreet racer and mechanic it might just be the closest I will ever be to a TV camera. I know that normally you have to be a front runner or be involved in an accident to be on camera, but who knows?

So there is a slight possibility that we might be on TV!!! We might become world famous in NZ!!

Regards
    Frans
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Between NZ, Aus and Sth Africa you already are. Well at least in the Southern Hemisphere.
    JohnW likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Hi All,

About this Festival in January. Here is a link to the site for your info and if you want to read it. We will be on in the second weekend of Festival.

Programme of Events

I will put an order in for a dry weekend!

Regards
    Frans

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi All,

About this Festival in January. Here is a link to the site for your info and if you want to read it. We will be on in the second weekend of Festival.

Programme of Events

I will put an order in for a dry weekend!

Regards
    Frans
    Frans, that will be a wonderful weekend. I've never forgotten the sound of a field of F5000 cars either. I can't see any way of getting there unfortunately!!

I'll have a word upstairs about the weather too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi All,
    So, the time has arrived for the big one. The first weekend of the festival is over and this is the start of the second weekend. Time to go and get some fuel, wash the G and do a spanner check.

I see there are plenty Aussies present with their American muscle cars and others with the F5000.

Our weekend will be 1) qualifying and 1 race one Friday, 2 races on Saturday, and 2 on Sunday.
    Busy weekend for me, hard weekend for the car.

This is a Face Book link to the happenings at Hampton Downs.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Z...5D=13&__md__=1

Wow, I hope that link works.

Regards, Frans.

I would love to be there, but alas cannot.
    However I will see the Formula 5000s at the Skope Classic meeting in Chrischurch next month, along with many classic saloons.
    Can't wait.

Henry
    When I find my feet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll know where I stand!

Thread Information