R8 electrical gremlins
  • Register
  • Help

Default R8 electrical gremlins

Hello All,
    My R8 is almost road ready, however I am having a few electrical issues. My left turn signal works fine, but when I switch towards the right nothing happens. Also, my side marker and taillight unit lights are not working. Any hints on what to check in regards to these issues? Cheers, Ben

Advertisement

COL

Quote Originally Posted by forzamacchi View Post
    Hello All,
    My R8 is almost road ready, however I am having a few electrical issues. My left turn signal works fine, but when I switch towards the right nothing happens. Also, my side marker and taillight unit lights are not working. Any hints on what to check in regards to these issues? Cheers, Ben
    I assume you mean that signal, maker and brake lights don't work all on the same side.

First check to make sure that you have globes that are fine by trying them in the side that is working.

Second and this is most likely the cause of your problem is make sure all the earths are good by disconnecting and thoroughly cleaning. Also while you are there also check that all the other connections are clean and actually making contact.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Just an addition to what Col has mentioned. Make sure that all the bulbs are actually good, then make sure the bulbs are actually making a contact in the bulb holder. Some bulbs can be a bit undersize or loose, also the spring in the tail light unit that presses the contact onto the bulb can become lazy. So just make sure that all contacts are good contacts.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

I'd add are you sure you have the wires attached correctly to the steering column switchgear?
    I had a similar issue with my tail lights and dashboard lights only working on parkers not low or high beam (dipped or main for you I guess). Turns out there was one wire incorrect on the switchgear causing it.
    KB

Thank You all... The car is currently under a complete brake overhaul. New cupro lines, etc. I should have the car back next week and will start working on the electrical issues. I will dig in and check all you have suggested. Cheers! Ben

Thread Information