• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By gerry freed
  • 2 Post By Fordman

Thread: At last, the new Espace

Default At last, the new Espace

Renault Espace V (2015) : premières photos officielles. - L'argus
    Perhaps not quite what you expected.
    Still a seven seater but a 'crossover' styling.

Advertisement
    Renomad and Ron Boulton like this.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Renault's answer to the Cayenne...? Certainly ugly and stupid enough...

What a shame. But build what the market wants, even if the market is a bunch of ****wits.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Renault's answer to the Cayenne...? Certainly ugly and stupid enough...

What a shame. But build what the market wants, even if the market is a bunch of ****wits.
    I see it as an aerodynamic people mover, a Cayenne as an aerodynamic SUV, not much similarity in my book.

Ugly? Only if every new car on the market is ugly - I think it's called current styling. I happen to think it is far from ugly, but then I could be one of your "the market" people.

Stupid? Not everyone's cup of tea, but there is a fair market of family people out there in this world - totally practical and sensible to a large portion of them.

Certainly a big step forward from the boxy Mitsu L300 I found to be a practical answer to my family needs in the 1980's. This is what I would be looking at now.

Cheers.
    Kim Luck and JohnW like this.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Either the wheels are huge or the car has shrunk. My money's on the former.

Via the aussiefrogs App

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    Either the wheels are huge or the car has shrunk. My money's on the former. Via the aussiefrogs App
    235/55 R19 according to the translated blurb....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Current styling is somewhat shrouded in a sci fi influenced haze to my sense of aesthetics. That is lines that suggest Hollywood/manga visions of the future, post apocalyptic even. The body does not reflect the power plant, it's almost wishful thinking from the designers, they want to create sleek hovercrafts but are lumbered with fossil fuel propelled tin jallopies, so masking this with their fantasies of a brave new world seep into their drawings, moreover an influence from the designers inspirations while growing up and training, nerdy sci fi movies and so forth.
    No it more often than not equals inspired but unimaginative (if two words can coexist in the same sentence). Vehicle styling has of course chased the future throughout auto history, it is the search for the future, but the end results? How to get beyond this? I'd love to see cars that were like bubbles made of materials that didn't act like metals when they collide at speed, vehicles that wouldn't collapse but merely bounce off objects, similar or otherwise! A dodgem car mentality. Citroen has obviously caught onto one small aspect of this on their Cactus doors, you can bash them but no nasty panel damage!
    Even more confusing is the effect of retro futurism, designers being influenced by the designs of the past that were inspired by the vision of the future (now) and recreating what we imagined the world was going to look like. Just look at Marc Newsons creations.

Shame its not going to be sold in Australia.

1000+ Posts

Forumnoreason, if cars bounced off things, the passengers would actually sustain worse injuries, due to the reverse acceleration.

On topic, I don't mind the look of that Espace at all.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Sadly, cars, or at least anything pretending to be a 'family car' have to be made to look like trucks these days before the average Joe will buy them.
    Whether one likes the styling or not (I don't), Renault have to make cars that appeal to the masses to survive. The family car market appears to have even less tolerance for fresh styling then the more mainstream and anything too far beyond the percived norm will likely flop (remember the Avantime).

Cheers
    Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Thread Information