Can anyone tell me what I just bought?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Can anyone tell me what I just bought?

Default Can anyone tell me what I just bought?

Greetings from Canada,

I am a 23 year old whos been bitten with the Renault bug... Not sure if thats good? But either way I am currently building a Dauphine protoesque machine. I recently purchased two rotted r8s from a man and they came with a few mystery boxes. Ive attempted to attach the photos to see if you guys can give me some more info on the things ive acquired. Any info would be really appreciated. I vaguely know about some of the things I have here, it would just be nice to get some more detailed info on some of the stuff so I can get an idea of what to do with them. I am still engineless so if you think I could/should salvage some of this stuff and start building something with it all... As you can see I need some serious direction!! Thanks for anything

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg  

Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg  

Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg   Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-image.jpg  

Well can't help you on the engine parts, but many here can. The alloy wheel you show is a. Original Cosmic alloy wheel and very rare.
    If you have a full set, it would be worth getting them cleaned up. They are a highly sort after alloy wheel.
    Dom
    2017 Renault Koleos Intens Pearl white
    2014 RenaultSport Megane 275 Trophy RST 275
    1976 Renault 17 Gordini ... Welcome "Edwin"
    1967 R10 Round Eye ...Aug 16 gone but not forgotten
    1967 R8 Gordini 1135 ... Welcome "Jimmy Gordini"

Hi .....Dylan,
    Pic 1 & 2 are Sierra camshafts. The 2 outer ones looks like it could be Gordini. The middle one is non crossflow cam shaft. I can only say for sure about the 2 outers if you place a picture that shows the keyway properly.
    Pic 3 is aGordini inlet manifold with a Weber Sidedraught carb.
    Pic 4 are 2 Gordini rocker covers.
    Pic 5 6 7 8 is a Gordini cylinder head that goes with all the above.
    Pic 9 10 11 12 is a 807 engine cylinder head. They were used on the renault 16TS, 17, Fuego etc.
    Pic 13 is a wheel spacer that will fit a Dauphine R8, R10.
    Pic 14 is a Cosmic alloy that will fit the cars in pic 13.

What the condition of the spares are I don't know before you have cleaned and pressure tested the heads. To build a Gordini engine you will need a few extra bits like the rocker shaft, distributor camfollowers, pushrods. these parts are unique to Gordini and differs from the Sierra non crossflow..These engines where called something different in the USA.

Regards, Frans
    addo and Boyracer like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

1000+ Posts

From my limited experience you would appear to have the cylinder head off a renault 8 gordini ,if the weber is off it its an 1135 ,the car should have a 5 speed gearbox ,4 lights on the front body panel,these cars are rare and valuable ,the original body has some distinctive strengthening brackets, some more knowledgeable on here will be able to advise ,there was a guy on here from canada a while ago restoring one ,do a search ,you may find you have a neighbor with one pugs .this engine would sure put a sting in the tail of your dauphine ,but may be worth more fitted to its original body if its not too far gone ,

Great thanks for your help everyone, i found the other 3 cosmic wheels and they're in decent shape so that's exciting. I think I'm going to go ahead and try to build the r8g motor. I just need to find a block now..!

And just for extra info, there look to be two different R8 Gordini heads there too. An earlier R1134 (for the 1100cc Gordini motor) type, and a later R1135 (for the 1300cc Gordini motor) type. The R1135 head is the one with the threaded plug between cylinder 2 and 3. To confirm, look at the spacing of the combustion chambers on the other side of the head, the R1134 head has a larger space between 2-3, whereas the R1135 head has even spacing between all cylinders.
    Last edited by Simon; 23rd September 2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Spalling
    addo and DrRenaultsport like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by eyjafjalladylan View Post
    I just need to find a block now..!
    The 1100 block should have a riveted plate indicating it is a Type 804 motor, the 1300 block should have a Type 812 plate.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Simon you were correct about the two different heads, thanks a lot for that tip. Now that might give me a better chance of finding a block since I have two options. I also just found an 807-13 block with the head laying under some junk in the car as well. Still going to stick with the r8g motor as I won't have to worry about transmission conversion/strengthening etc. Thanks again for all the help

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Do you want to build a Dauphine?
    Perhaps post some pics of the R8's ID plates, as you might even have two rusty R8G's not just R8's.
    A lot more valuable than Dauphines and even if rusty may pay to have them repaired correctly within their actual value.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

welcome to the Renault following glad to hear and see a few more Renault people here in Ontario Canada I have a bunch of R8G stuff as well and may be able to help you out send me a personal note and I will send you my phone # and we can chat . I live in Southampton Ontario about 3 hours away there is a few of us Renault types around will be good to be in touch.

Manic gt

Fellow Frogger!

Hi there Eyjafjalladylan, have you got any photos of your cars? Would love to see photos!!

Cheers
    Steve

1000+ Posts

Default Gordini

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    hi there eyjafjalladylan, have you got any photos of your cars? Would love to see photos!!

Cheers
    steve
    as an example the standard renault in 1968 sold in australia for $900 the gordini was $1900 you could buy two 8s for less than a gordini ,some pics, please,there is more than one of us down here who would just love to find one of these in a shed , pugs

Here are some photos guys, I'll have better ones soon, just some quick ones while attempting to load the cars up without rear wheels ha ha. Can anyone tell me what I just bought?-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1411552314.224082.jpgCan anyone tell me what I just bought?-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1411552329.056150.jpgCan anyone tell me what I just bought?-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1411552338.123264.jpgCan anyone tell me what I just bought?-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1411552348.641076.jpgCan anyone tell me what I just bought?-imageuploadedbyaussiefrogs1411552359.506307.jpg

1000+ Posts

The blue one looks like an 1135 gordini ,four lights on front twin shock rear suspension ,looks like the trans is still in it should be a 5 speed ,if there is a spacer plate between the geabox casing and the end case [were the selector comes out ] the spacer makes room for the 5th speed ,its a 5 speed ,rare, looks like it has had some flared guards on it ,the white paint in the engine compartment sagest it may have been re painted the gordini blue so some pics of the alloy plates in the trunk will enable the more knowledgeable id these car for you ,thanks heaps for the pics , pugs

Quote Originally Posted by eyjafjalladylan View Post
    Here are some photos guys, I'll have better ones soon, just some quick ones while attempting to load the cars up without rear wheels ha ha. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1411552314.224082.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	61163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1411552329.056150.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	61164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1411552338.123264.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	61165Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1411552348.641076.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	61166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByaussiefrogs1411552359.506307.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	61167
    What's the white thing near the Ford Anglia?
    Looks like a three-wheeler or micro-car.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Is it a Sinclair C5? British thing from the eighties. I believe they're quite collectable themselves!

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2014 Peugeot 208GTi
    2015 Peugeot 308 Allure Premium Touring
    1982 Alfa Romeo GTV

Previous Frogs: 1999 Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; 1996 Peugeot 406ST, 1991 Peugeot 205Si, 2005 Citroen C2 VTR, 1984 Renault Fuego GTX, 1985 Renault Fuego GTX.

(Previous Bulldogs: 1974 Jaguar XJ6; 1988 Jaguar XJ-S, 1974 Jaguar XJ6, Rover P6 (X6))

It's some odd electric car from the 80s, not sure of the name. He had mounds of neat stuff!

1000+ Posts

For me this would be the find of a life time. I think many of us look at every farm and back yard always hoping to see a Gordini peeping out from behind an open door. Yes they look like a lot of work but..... probably well worth it. How did you happen upon them?
    Kram likes this.

Not enough specific photos to ID, but could be some good stuff there. It would be good if you posted photos or details of the numbers on the "Diamond" shaped plate in the boot (Trunk for you guys) if it is still there.

The blue car certainly looks to have a Gordini (R1135) front end on it, and the rear photo looks like a twin shock rear end. It also looks like it might have been white originally which probably means it is not a Gordini, and just had a Gordini front end grafted on and perhaps been painted "Gordini blue" around the same time.

The white car looks a bit like a normal R1132 but it does have a Mk1 cosmic on it at least which will be worth a bit as mentioned earlier if you have a set now. The white car also looks like it's had a substantial roll cage in it at some stage so maybe an ex race or club car?

It's obvious that whoever owned them had stockpiled a nice nest of valuable G parts even if these two bodyshells turn out to be non-genuine.

KB
    Last edited by renault8&10; 25th September 2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: made a mistake on ID'ing the rear suspension
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    The white car looks a bit like a normal R1132 but it does have a Mk1 cosmic on it at least which will be worth a bit as mentioned earlier if you have a set now. The white car also looks like it's had a substantial roll cage in it at some stage so maybe an ex race or club car?
    I was thinking the white shell (with the roll cage poking through the rear bulkhead) was also promising as an R1135 shell. It has le bulge for le 5 speed, as well as a couple of other 8G specific bits and bobs semi-visible. Things like the four headlight front panel and le 5 speed bulge are easy to staple into an R1132 shell along with the R1135 ID plates, so it will be interesting to see how things develop with identifying whether they are original shells or otherwise.

It is probably best if they are R1132 shells, then there won't have to be an agonising dilemma over whether to restore to original (with the bottom 12 inches likely being nice new metal!), or create a machine faster than Amedee could have ever dreamed of!
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

I would not have been surprised if you had made an educated guess at the VINs - and later been proven right.

To save lots of time and effort, because this is a rust bucket, it would be good to find a good 1132, and convert it with all the right pieces. If done properly with all the reinforcings off the donor car nobody would know the difference and you would have a very good and valuable car, and at a quarter of the labour to repair this poor beast. Everything is there. Now comes the search !!!!

Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

1000+ Posts

I had a dvd which showed gordini racing in france ,i was sure there ,was other colours except blue and yellow ,were there other colours available in europe or were they re sprays ,pugs

True pugwash. The colours available I believe were blanc, gris sauge, bleu moyen, rouge, vert fonce, jaune, ou, bien entendu, bleu de France!

I did say probablymeans it wasn't a Gordini.
    and Addo - he's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy!
    KB

1000+ Posts

And is that a Lotus Elan poking its nose in to the same photo as the Sinclair?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information