1920'S Renault. Hey Simon what is it and how rare is it?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg
  • 3 Post By 59 Floride

Thread: 1920'S Renault. Hey Simon what is it and how rare is it?

Tadpole

Default 1920'S Renault. Hey Simon what is it and how rare is it?

Extemely Rare Vintage Veteran Renault X2 1924 1926 in Riverstone, NSW | eBay

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Graham, get your Fregate finished, the new project beckons! cheers! Peter

As the rare as the person who would tackle it
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

It would make for an interesting project no doubt, but not one for me thanks as I like to drive my cars. Unless I were to start a Museum...

Good idea, where were you going to locate it??
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    It would make for an interesting project no doubt, but not one for me thanks as I like to drive my cars. Unless I were to start a Museum...
    ah well, back to the deferred dauphine project then
    cheers! peter
    J-man likes this.

You'd be brave to tackle that lot. It's a remarkable stash mind you.

Never ceases to amaze me what is out there.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    ah well, back to the deferred dauphine project then
    cheers! peter
    Oh yes, praised be project Dauphenstein, I haven't lost sight of that and have amassed many parts for same.

In a strange twist of fate, on my very first trip to Paris (pre French cars for me) I stayed in an apartment at 14 Rue Dauphine, Saint Germain. If I were a believer in a higher power (which I ain't) it would appear I was being guided by the Renault Gods, maybe Louis himself...

Sorry about the hijack Redbacks but I'm sure the other Renault god Simon will chime in with all the relavent data for this car, probably including the name of the last owner's mother's maiden name and her favourite perfume..
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 21st September 2014 at 11:02 AM.
    FIVEDOOR, CarNut and daffyduck like this.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Courtois, and Chanel.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    As the rare as the person who would tackle it
    Three bidders so at least three potential restorers. Very brave!

COL

Quote Originally Posted by dunky View Post
    Three bidders so at least three potential restorers. Very brave!
    They may already have parts or using those parts to finish off their restoration
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Oh yes, praised be project Dauphenstein, I haven't lost sight of that and have amassed many parts for same.

In a strange twist of fate, on my very first trip to Paris (pre French cars for me) I stayed in an apartment at 14 Rue Dauphine, Saint Germain. If I were a believer in a higher power (which I ain't) it would appear I was being guided by the Renault Gods, maybe Louis himself...
    Ah, I think that you misconstrue the entrails. In a clearer message than most such guidance, you are being advised that you will come to rue the day that you essayed forth on Dauphine modification.

To return from the continued hijack, surely the model name is clear: 'the X2' (I understand that a Holden executive from the sixties was a keen vintage Renault enthusiast & borrowed the name).

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Ah, I think that you misconstrue the entrails. In a clearer message than most such guidance, you are being advised that you will come to rue the day that you essayed forth on Dauphine modification.

cheers! Peter
    I shall prepareth to taketh the risk..

Quote Originally Posted by COL View Post
    They may already have parts or using those parts to finish off their restoration
    I told a friend that has three '20s Renaults in various states of restoration about these two. At the price so far, and given the rarity of spares, these wrecks would be great value.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    ‘02 and ‘03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

This sort of stuff comes at the far end of the bell curve of Renault knowledge for me. So I've really got no idea. Although it looks like the resale of a collection sold (or at least advertised) a couple of years ago. Back then some of the collection was inside, the one with the late model bonnet being a Type PG with a six cylinder motor (although it is noted a couple of the pictured motors are fours, with no six pictured). In Australia any Renault of this era is rare, due to import taxes on full imports through the 1920's, so you don't see a lot (or any for that matter) of them around in a running condition.

Attached is a pic from the advert at the time, it certainly looks like the same car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1920'S Renault. Hey Simon what is it and how rare is it?-pg1.jpg   1920'S Renault. Hey Simon what is it and how rare is it?-pg3.jpg  
    Last edited by Simon; 22nd September 2014 at 07:11 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    This sort of stuff comes at the far end of the bell curve of Renault knowledge for me. So I've really got no idea. Although it looks like the resale of a collection sold (or at least advertised) a couple of years ago. Back then some of the collection was inside, the one with the late model bonnet being a Type PG with a six cylinder motor (although it is noted a couple of the pictured motors are fours, with no six pictured). In Australia any Renault of this era is rare, due to import taxes on full imports through the 1920's, so you don't see a lot (or any for that matter) of them around in a running condition.

Attached is a pic from the advert at the time, it certainly looks like the same car.
    Thanks Simon:
    Could it be one of these?

1920'S Renault. Hey Simon what is it and how rare is it?-24_renault-labourdette-skiff-dv-10-pbc_001.jpg

In the mid 1920s, Carrosserie Henri Labourdette built several torpedo skiffs on small Renault chassis. This car is believed to be the only Labourdette short chassis 'boattail' to survive. Mahogany was used not just for the deck, dash and floors, but also for the internal structure of the body. In general, these skiffs cost several times the cost of a completed Renault factory car with more lavish touring style coachwork. Well-healed owners of large chassis custom-bodied cars could now own a self-driven ruanbout built with the same flair as their chauffeur-driven Rolls-Royce or Hispano-Suiza. This 950cc 4-cylinder 6CV Renault with its stylish trademark front end boasts the signature Labourdette flying wings, Marchal headlamps and three seat configuration. It is typical of the French design style that still exists to this day at Renault.

There is a 1926 (approx.) NO in Adelaide, Weyman body, excellent condition etc. UK built, so easier/affordable to import I guess.

They are right at the end of my bell curve too, but could be pre-1920 - noting one bonnet with no lozenge badge but just a name.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

any of these help?
    Renault 1900-1930
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    - noting one bonnet with no lozenge badge but just a name.
    It looks like it was a diamond shaped badge, just the top and bottom broken off. Note there is also a pre-1925 round badge on one of the other bonnets as well. In one of the previous sale pics there was also a pic of the oval plate, identifying one car as a Type PG, so there would appear to be an amalgam of parts with the collection, all various models and eras.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

It looks like it was a diamond shaped badge, just the top and bottom broken off. Note there is also a pre-1925 round badge on one of the other bonnets as well. In one of the previous sale pics there was also a pic of the oval plate, identifying one car as a Type PG, so there would appear to be an amalgam of parts with the collection, all various models and eras.
    You're right I think about the broken diamond badge! I imagine there might be some gold in there for the right buyer. But you'd need to know your stuff to find the other Renault bits and pieces lying around.

As I said, it is amazing what is around.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information